• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Atronauts...also known as Astronauts

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
That's what I figured. I wasn't sure if anyone else had stepped up yet.

Renegade One

None
That's what I figured. I wasn't sure if anyone else had stepped up yet.
Not until Virgin Galactic, the Kardashians and Justin Bieber step up with some heavy-lift funding...

"You boys know what makes this bird go up? FUNDING makes this bird go up. No bucks…no Buck Rogers."

jmcquate

Contributor
I bet the pool of applicants has been smaller since the retirement of the STS. Well at least they will get to play with the toys at JSC and get their very own T-38s to fly around the country and lecture the youngens on the perils of global warming. Almost as good as low Earth orbit.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Since I do not know what the current "qual criteria" might be, I'm unable to comment further. I'm just guessing that "military trained/experienced aviator" is not particularly high on the list.
Actually, I am familiar with the "qual criteria" and military trained/experienced aviator is very high on the list. What are you getting at? I have met one of these Test Pilot/Future Astronauts personally and I can tell you she is incredibly impressive. I

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I, for one, find the prospect of spending years training and talking about going to space to then do one spaceflight to be, well, pretty blah.

The idea of having a T-38 or F-18 at my disposal to fly around the country with an expense account. . .now there's where the excitement is. . .

HuggyU2

None
The idea of having a T-38 or F-18 at my disposal to fly around the country with an expense account. . .now there's where the excitement is. . .
This^
I love the two-engine, twin-turbine, JP-8 slurpin', dual-afterburnin', supersonic bar hoppin' machine.
From engine start at Beale AFB, to shut down at North Island, jet put to bed, and beer in my hand in the I-Bar... about 2+05.
Does it get any better than that?

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
1000+ hrs PIC jet time. Hmm, good thing I'm switching to the P-8, I'll have to get right on it.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
1000 hours of P-8 time? Maybe if you become a skipper and never leave the cockpit. . .