• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Atronauts...also known as Astronauts

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
"The Force is STRONG in this one!"
Yeah…there may be just a tinge of PC in this, but let's just genuflect to "best qualified" and get on with the Plan of the Day. I think we're supposed to be purging the spaces of ELLE, VOGUE and MAXIM magazines this week.

You're close there. Maxims do have to go, as do swimsuit issues and photos from our wives. But Elle, Vogue, Playgirl, GayPrideWeekly, OUT, VEGAN, The pacifist's journal, and Koran are all fine.

Renegade One

None
You're close there. Maxims do have to go, as do swimsuit issues and photos from our wives. But Elle, Vogue, Playgirl, GayPrideWeekly, OUT, VEGAN, The pacifist's journal, and Koran are all fine.
I do question some of the exemptions but I'm probably just showing my age… :cool:

Renegade One

None
Rumor has it that Endevour had a collective.
Uh…you mean like farming? "I'll trade my snap beans for some of your turnips, and we'll pool stuff to get some of Sergei's potatoes?"

Pretty sweet…

(P.S.: I've got some smuggled cans of SPAM to trade….)

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
OK: There are 4 men and 4 women in this astronaut class. Unless the number of female aviators equals or exceeds the number of male aviators, then women have better odds of being selected than men. Political Correctness is one thing: refusing to address reality is something else - and much more dangerous to our military. If this BS is the Navy you guys (figuratively speaking, of course) want, then heaven help us all. JMHO.

Renegade One

None
OK: There are 4 men and 4 women in this astronaut class. Unless the number of female aviators equals or exceeds the number of male aviators, then women have better odds of being selected than men. Political Correctness is one thing: refusing to address reality is something else - and much more dangerous to our military. If this BS is the Navy you guys (figuratively speaking, of course) want, then heaven help us all. JMHO.
Why the hate? Not like any of them have to pilot anything. What's "aviator qual" have to do with this nowadays? It's all ball bearings these days...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Yeah, the Navy was a much more solid place when it was all white, straight, males. Get with the program Navy guys...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
There is no hate in my posts, and this is not about straight white males. Aviation & engineering are 2 career paths that have been dominated for a long time by males. I find it "interesting" that astronaut selection (which presumably would require skills, education and experience in those 2 areas) comes out 50/50 between males & females.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I felt the hate. Especially when you acted as though the Navy was at fault for the astronaut selection process, and called us for perpetuating some sort of military by social convention. I'm willing to argue the 9 degrees among those 4 women, two of whom are test pilots, would at least keep them close in the running.

Space isn't all about aviators anymore. In fact, given today's method of space travel...the doctor and weather lady probably have more reason to be up there than we do. Even the space shuttle only needed two pilots in crew of 5-6.

In your opinion, what would a more "qualified" class look like?

Renegade One

None
There is no hate in my posts,...Aviation & engineering are 2 career paths that have been dominated for a long time by males.

You haven't been paying attention.
There is no hate in my posts,...I find it "interesting" that astronaut selection...comes out 50/50 between males & females.
You're not "interested"…you're thinking it's wrong on some conspiracy level. Two different things. 50/50 kinda sorta defines the current population demographic...

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
... require skills, education and experience in those 2 areas...

One would assume that advanced degrees in engineering from our nation's top universities, selection as military aviators and test pilots, along with combat experience, would tick that box...no? I'm finding it very hard to find the affirmative action slacker in that bunch.

Renegade One

None
But 50/50 does not define the demographic of those qualified to apply to the Space Program.
Since I do not know what the current "qual criteria" might be, I'm unable to comment further. I'm just guessing that "military trained/experienced aviator" is not particularly high on the list.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Yawn.

Someone call me when we don't have to call another country to send our astronauts, female or otherwise, into space.

You guys are missing the forest for the trees.

With the shuttle gone, who's bearing the space delivery capability?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Soyuz_TMA-7_spacecraft2edit1.jpg