• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New ATC system

cisforsmasher

pilot
I saw this article in the times this morning. I thought I would share with everyone and get some opinions. Interesting that the airlines are pushing this from the bottom up instead of the FAA forcing it down their throats. Recently, the FAA asked for something on the order of $30 Billion (i cannot remember the exact number) over the next 20 years to upgrade to this kind of system. Would be sweet if they could get it to work. Just think, no more point to points!

Edit:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/05/business/05airtraffic.html?th&emc=th
you probably need a subscription to read it. I should have read those rules a little more carefully. Thanks for the edit.

September 5, 2007
For Airlines, Hands-On Air Traffic Control

By MATTHEW L. WALD
WASHINGTON, Sept. 4 — At Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Delta Air Lines said its jets take off an average of 10 minutes after pushing back from the gate — three minutes faster than in previous years.
Using new technology, planes take off following a narrow route, so that that jets right behind them taking different routes do not have to wait as long. That makes the system move a bit faster.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you want to post the link to the sight were you got the article, feel free, but don't post an entire copyrighted article, as per the forum rules.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If you're a member of AOPA you know all about this and the humongous pissing contest in Congress right now involving funding. Oh yeah, and the hot woman in the back of the September issue of Pilot. Now if we can get them to put her in the center.

What is the system that Delta is using, (didn't say in post).

Are they still trying to go with the idea of replacing everythign with a gps system?

Nose

pilot
It's not a "system" at ATL, and it's not anything DAL is doing that anyone else is not, they just finally went to RNAV departures. This allows for reduced seperation between departures because they know exactly where a plane will turn and exactly where it will be and when it will be there. Their old system was basically "Go to the end of the runway, fly this heading, contact departure."

Now it is this. Looks scary, but you just select the departure from your FMS and it loads everything in.

Nose

MasterBates

Ah, GPS. That thing that has been in all the trainers I have flown, but have NO FREAKING IDEA how to use. (they don't teach E2C2 guys GPS in intermediates)

Nose

pilot
Doesn't have to be GPS. Our jets don't have GPS, just INS and DME cross fix for position updates (all automatic!)

As long as the FMS know where you are (it will cry if it doesn't) then you can fly RNAV.

N

phrogpilot73

Doesn't have to be GPS. Our jets don't have GPS, just INS and DME cross fix for position updates (all automatic!)

As long as the FMS know where you are (it will cry if it doesn't) then you can fly RNAV.

N
RNAV... Is that ROAD Navigation? That's about all we need in the helo world... ;)

plc67

pilot
RNAV SIDs require an accuracy of 1000 feet prior to flying the procedure. If you notice a significant map shift prior to taking the runway you need to do a quick realignment, which requires no movement for at least 30 seconds. Even though it's a seemingly small amount of time you won't win any popularity points with the Delta Air Force behind you in ATL.

Nose

pilot
RNAV SIDs require an accuracy of 1000 feet prior to flying the procedure. If you notice a significant map shift prior to taking the runway you need to do a quick realignment, which requires no movement for at least 30 seconds. Even though it's a seemingly small amount of time you won't win any popularity points with the Delta Air Force behind you in ATL.

You are being aircraft specific.

Airbus products don't need manual update, they automatically do an update to the "takeoff position" of the runway you specified for takeoff in the FMS. For example, if you said you were going to takeoff of 4R in DTW, when you move the power levers to TOGA/FLEX, the plane automatically updates to about the numbers for 4R. This sets a "bias" or offset from where the INS thinks it is for the rest of the flight.

Nose

plc67

pilot
Actually I was being FMC specific. We have an early Honeywell system that does not use GPS. Later Honeywells don't have to worry about manual updates; we just aquired approval to fly RNAV SIDS, STARS etc on our FMCs that are slightly upgraded.
I don't know much about flying the poodles.

Nose

pilot
I don't know much about flying the poodles.

You don't have to know much. Most of the problems are caused by people who either try to do it themselves and don't know how or get caught in the automation trap - magic fails and people die.

N

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....As long as the FMS know where you are (it will cry if it doesn't) then you can fly RNAV....
What's a FMS?? What's an RNAV ??? SIDS??? STARS??? What in the hell are you guys talking about??? :eek:

Here's MY flight management and navigation systems!!! AND the added bonus ... they double as male secretaries .... :D

dsc00408je4.jpg
dsc00279ki1.jpg

plc67

pilot
Yeah, never forget to dial in the arrival ATIS frequency. It makes an excellent alarm clock.

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
If you're a member of AOPA you know all about this and the humongous pissing contest in Congress right now involving funding. Oh yeah, and the hot woman in the back of the September issue of Pilot. Now if we can get them to put her in the center.

Pics?