• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new ASTB

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Anyone else partake in the testing for the redesigned ASTB coming out? Its really interesting all the stuff they are putting into it now(to make it more accurate). I would say it is going to be harder in the future. Take it before it changes, lol.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I took it last year in Pensacola while in A Pool. I thought playing that video game for the hand/eye coordination was retarded.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Do you mean that 1089-question personality test that made me seriously consider eating my own stomach for lunch?

das

Contributor
Do you mean that 1089-question personality test that made me seriously consider eating my own stomach for lunch?

The Biological Inventory (BI) is gone from the current/existing ASTB. I believe NAMI said that its ability to predict attrition had "declined to zero", and was thus discontinued. ;) Or is this coming back again on the new test?

I just took the ASTB a couple weeks ago, and am glad I won't be needing to take it again. bluesig1, where did you participate in this new ASTB business? What's new about it?

bluesig1

sure thing
None
yes that personality test was "shoot yourself in the face long". How many times they going to ask the same question. Down in PCOLA Nomi has been having people try it out before they change it. I also meant that follow the cross hairs and pull the trigger when you hear the numbers called while not having the engine alarms go off,lol.

getawaydriver

What percentage get LCS?
I am going to take the ASTB on 29MAY but I knew the test was changing dramatically. I know it is now computer based but will I be taking an entirely new test versus what the Arco/other gouge provides?

Sorry if I am behind the powercurve but work has been nuts and I have been really pushing myself on this. It just dawned on me seeing this post that I might be wasting some time.

If the test has indeed changed (I know I will be taking it on a computer in a few weeks versus when I took it in 2006 on paper), can anyone direct me to a good link providing an overview of the new content?

H20man

Drill baby drill!
Ah yes, the "Time Management" class required before classing up for IFS, which really meant go play lab rat for NOMI.

It was hilarious looking around the room during the last portion of the test. Imagine a room full of ensigns with headphones on, staring at a computer screen, stick and throttle in hand, twitching around furiously. This of course was after the paper testing.

gotta_fly

pilot
Ah yes, the "Time Management" class required before classing up for IFS, which really meant go play lab rat for NOMI.

I actually called them out on this, but for us I believe it was CRM training, scheduled for one hour. When we arrived they told us we'd be taking the ASTB for about four hours. I raised my hand and told them I must be in the wrong place because I was told to report for one hour of CRM training. I had volunteered for the four hour version the week prior so naturally I was pretty peeved at this point. The administrator seem to understand my concern once I explained that someone was deliberately misleading us. She then took me across the hall where I took an alternate version of the paper test and was there longer than anyone else I arrived with. :icon_rage

bluesig1

sure thing
None
Nah your not wasting your time if your taking it in May. I think it wont be until later in the year, maybe next year? I think they are just adding things not changing the rest. I could be wrong though on what they are really doing to the test

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
I found out today that I have been slated to take this experimental test later this month. Oh the joy!

I wonder if they thought about the idea that their results are going to be skewed since all of the test takers were already above average on the current version. They need to get one of those mall research offices to get people to take it for $15 a pop. Data will be a much more representative of what the recruiter is likely to get in the door.

das

Contributor
Out of curiosity about this, I talked to someone at NAMI today who gave me some great gouge on the new ASTB. None of this information is official, and all of it is subject to change:

- A revised ASTB is currently scheduled to be rolled out in APR 2010.

- It includes a new psychomotor component that uses a stick and throttle. All test sites won't have the capability to administer this portion of the test.

- A new (and long) bio inventory and personality inventory is being tested.

- There will be new paper forms, and additional tests that require a computer (such as the psychomotor component) can be administered separately.

- The existing sections for mechanical comprehension, math, reading, etc., will remain more or less the same, but would get revised questions.

- The computerized version of the test will be "adaptive", in that the test questions can be different for each person, and will get harder as more questions are answered correctly or easier as more questions are answered wrong. This enables the computerized version of the test to use less questions to accurately assess the examinee in each area. (The current ASTB forms used on paper and computer are identical.)

NAMI is currently offering the new test to selected aviation candidates. They can then examine how well the new portions of the test predict success among students. For example, if the new personality/bio portions don't significantly aid in predicting success or attrition, NAMI might decide to not include them.

Again, this information is subject to change at any time, but I just wanted to pass this along for those wondering about the new ASTB.

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
So pretty much NAMI is getting ideas from the chair force on the psychomotor skills test. Had a friend take it (the TBAS) for the Air Force a while back and he bombed the thing. Yet he has his PPL and his Instrument ticket. Why would NAMI want to incorporate something like that in the ASTB? Isn't that what IFS is for to weed people out that want to fly and just don't posses the cognitive skills to fly an aircraft? To me it, I don't think its a wise idea to have something like that. I mean you can have someone like my buddy who has lots of experience flying, but just can't pass a computer test like that since it doesn't simulate "real' flying.

KCOTT

remember to pillage before you burn
pilot
OMG that personality test sucked. The girl who was administering the test at NAMI was hot though.

I sucked on the joystick thing. Good thing I took the old one.

gonad

So pretty much NAMI is getting ideas from the chair force on the psychomotor skills test. Had a friend take it (the TBAS) for the Air Force a while back and he bombed the thing. Yet he has his PPL and his Instrument ticket. Why would NAMI want to incorporate something like that in the ASTB? Isn't that what IFS is for to weed people out that want to fly and just don't posses the cognitive skills to fly an aircraft? To me it, I don't think its a wise idea to have something like that. I mean you can have someone like my buddy who has lots of experience flying, but just can't pass a computer test like that since it doesn't simulate "real' flying.

The TBAS is a challenging test. With the max flight hours and an AFOQT pilot of 96.. it dropped my PCSM to 95. Nothing is fluid with that joystick - just a buncha of spaz responses linked to a computer screen- I don't really understand why the USAF puts so much weight on that test (maybe if you dropped UAVs or something) - I know some guys that played Halo and FSX all day, but never actually flew, and they did really well on it......I guess I'm just bitter I sucked at it.