• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New ASTB test. My way to prep. Is it any good?

Chris Lane

Teufel pups,

I am currently in class 1-14 at TBS in beautiful Quantico. I have been studying for the ASTB and the new ASTB-E came out 10 days before I need to take it.

I have been studying a lot of the same stuff, the spatial recognition and the supplemental aviation questions are now gone. The test will adapt to your skill, easier questions if you aren't doing well and harder if you get the previous one correct.
These are the additions to the test.

Performance Based Measures Battery
Biographical Inventory with Response Validation
Naval Aviation Trait Facet Inventory

Not really sure how to study for these additions, the BI/RV can be done seprate and there is no time limit.

If anyone had taken the new test since it came out I would really appreciate any pointers. thanks Devil Dogs.

My last test was in Oct, and I got 5/5/5/48 all I need is to get a 6 or higher for the PFAR. I know that the minimum isn't what to shoot for. I will obviously go for the max but those are the guidelines that I was shown, I'm shooting for 8's

Kill 'em all

ImMikeB

I took the ASTB-e a couple months ago and it's definitely different. The math and critical reading sections gauge how you are doing and give you questions based off of your performance, which is a good thing. The spatial portions are definitely...mentally stimulating. Instead of the traditional cockpit views with accompanying aircraft orientations, you are tasked with targeting from the perspective in a UAV. It will give you a map with N indicated and it will show the heading of the UAV on the map. Next to the map will be a screen that shows what the UAV is seeing. There will be a big medical tent with 4 parking lots around it in each of the 4 main cardinal directions. It will ask you to target a specific parking lot, say South, and it grades you based off of correctness and time taken. You do that a bunch of times. Not so bad, I'm not sure how you can study for it though. The simulator portion was challenging. 5 total tasks, that increase with difficulty. My only suggestions are to be comfortable and well rested, as there isn't any real practice for it. If it matters I scored a 7/7/7 61, and I felt like I was failing it until I got my scores. A big thing you can do is complete the BIRV questionnaire before you take the ASTB-e. It's about 2 hours worth of personal questions you have to answer that are very tedious. You have to complete it to receive your score, and after the ASTB-e I had no desire to fill anything else out. I hope this helps and feel free to shoot me any other questions you have. Good Luck!
Edit: you're allowed practice time on the simulator portion, I would highly advise taking full advantage of that to get comfortable.

J. All

I took the ASTB-e a couple months ago and it's definitely different. The math and critical reading sections gauge how you are doing and give you questions based off of your performance, which is a good thing. The spatial portions are definitely...mentally stimulating. Instead of the traditional cockpit views with accompanying aircraft orientations, you are tasked with targeting from the perspective in a UAV. It will give you a map with N indicated and it will show the heading of the UAV on the map. Next to the map will be a screen that shows what the UAV is seeing. There will be a big medical tent with 4 parking lots around it in each of the 4 main cardinal directions. It will ask you to target a specific parking lot, say South, and it grades you based off of correctness and time taken. You do that a bunch of times. Not so bad, I'm not sure how you can study for it though. The simulator portion was challenging. 5 total tasks, that increase with difficulty. My only suggestions are to be comfortable and well rested, as there isn't any real practice for it. If it matters I scored a 7/7/7 61, and I felt like I was failing it until I got my scores. A big thing you can do is complete the BIRV questionnaire before you take the ASTB-e. It's about 2 hours worth of personal questions you have to answer that are very tedious. You have to complete it to receive your score, and after the ASTB-e I had no desire to fill anything else out. I hope this helps and feel free to shoot me any other questions you have. Good Luck!
Edit: you're allowed practice time on the simulator portion, I would highly advise taking full advantage of that to get comfortable.

ImMikeB: Congrats on the score man. I am on my second try taking the test, but I couldn't understand the spatial portion for anything. My question to you is, what study materials would you advise for preparation for the overall test?