• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

Travis Cabe

Furthermore, the three tests were in different mental situations. The first test I took, we were in the car on a road trip with friends. Both of us in the back seat, she used the timer on her iPhone as I completed the questions (music and conversation around me). The second test was after a 16-hour shift on Valentine's day (I'm a chef, it was a LONG day, both physically and mentally). I wanted to test my aptitude after having an extremely long and stressful day (Wife timed me on this one too). The final test I took a couple days ago after a full night's sleep, breakfast, and light exercise. I was hoping to simulate the situation that I will actually be in when I test (I timed myself on this one). The pressure will not get to me, I test very well. I learned at an early age, especially for aptitude tests like this and the SAT, etc., that either you know it or you don't, and have never really stressed over them. I took the SAT on a Saturday after partying on Friday night and getting only 5 hours of sleep, and got a 1280.

I know the individual scores on these tests were good. I looked at that bell-curve, I know the scores were at the extreme upper-end. My GPA is not what you would consider competitive, and I know that a good score, especially say in the 95th percentile or better, along with my other strengths, MAY be able to out-weigh my low GPA.

The point here is, I want to know if I'm scoring it SOMEWHAT near how the actual test will be scored. Are certain sections weighted more?

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The example questions are very similar to the test. As long as you understand how to go about solving the problems in the sample test, then you should be alright. Did you review the ASTB gouge from this website?

-ea6bflyr ;)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The point here is, I want to know if I'm scoring it SOMEWHAT near how the actual test will be scored. Are certain sections weighted more?

The actual scoring is a guarded secret. It doesn't really matter how it's scored; what matters is that you are prepared and do your best. Good luck!

-ea6bflyr ;)

exNavyOffRec

FYI tomorrow, yes on Presidents Day, they are running a test in preparation for the new ASTB, depending how this goes will depend when the new test takes effect, or so I am told.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Try buying Officer candidate tests for dummies book.

Walter, have you taken the ASTB? If so, how was this book better than the gouge posted on AirWarriors.com? Since your profile has nothing in it, I cannot guess what your bonafides are.

-ea6bflyr ;)

mmg

I apologize for not giving the image or question, but the pdf won't let me copy and paste it. Question 10 in the ASTB section of the ARCO, can someone explain it to me? It seems as if there asking for a variable that doesn't appear in the image.

mid1510

I didn't do too well on the ASTB when compared to others on this forum, but advice from my LT was to take it once after looking over the Barron's/ARCO books for a week (if you are in college, use your upcoming spring break week). If you are not happy with your score, you know what to study harder for the next test.

My experience was that the ASTB was vastly different from the Barron's/ARCO practice tests. A great help to me the second time around was looking over the FAA book. You can get it online for around 30 bucks. Some say it's overkill but it was worth it for me.

Bottom line is that it is an aptitude test. Studying can only take you so far.

Colin Smith

Hello all,
Does anybody have any ideas what ASTB scores are competitive for FY12? I see a lot of gouges that are out-dated and would be interested to see how this year is looking...

My ASTB results ACT
5/6/6 50 23

From reading on here I realize that my scores are mediocre at best, but I would still like to know if my results are worth while!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Colin,
Welcome to AirWarriors. Competitive is relative to which program you are applying. Navy OCS? STA-21? Marine Corps?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Colin Smith

Thank you!
I am applying for STA-21 and striking for NFO. Giving that I am almost 26, time is of the essence! I am open to different options, but after this year:).