• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another potentially dumb question: I know runways are numbered by the first two digits of their compass direction, but how do you tell the difference between 10 and 100? I am assuming they just call 10 1 and the opposite end of the runway would be 190. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

I found the answer... 10 reads 01... Sorry for the post

The real question should have been "how do you differentiate between multiple runways?" Hopefully, you already know this.

Useless Trivia question 2: How are Civillian and Military airfield light beacons different?

-ea6bflyr ;)

Srp7286

just took the ASTB today. Didn't do to well 4/5/4 47. which of course is not high enough for aviation or NFO. I'm taking it again in January and I know i'll do better, plus having a extra semester to build up my GPA isn't going to be bad anyways.

For those who haven't taken the test, make sure you're familiar with what kind of clouds are at what altitude!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
just took the ASTB today. Didn't do to well 4/5/4 47. which of course is not high enough for aviation or NFO. I'm taking it again in January and I know i'll do better, plus having a extra semester to build up my GPA isn't going to be bad anyways.

For those who haven't taken the test, make sure you're familiar with what kind of clouds are at what altitude!

I'm guessing you are trying to qualify for Marine Corps NFO vice Navy? Navy mins are 3/4/4.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Lobster

Srp, who is your recruiter? I'm assuming you're working out of NRD Philly.

BullGator

I'm guessing you are trying to qualify for Marine Corps NFO vice Navy? Navy mins are 3/4/4.

-ea6bflyr ;)
Is the minimum to apply for a Marine NFO the same as pilot at 4,6,6?

Srp7286: Be sure to use December break time to study as much as possible. Let us know what specific areas you need help with so we can guide you to the "best" resources and study materials, or just let us know if you have any questions.

Srp7286

My goal is to go to be a navy NFO or aviator, no offense to the Marines, I have know a lot of them, and hold them to the highest respect.

As for the mins, i actually forget what they are for the test, and to be honest, one shouldn't pay attention to the mins because to be competitive minimum scores dont do shit. All about being above average!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the minimum to apply for a Marine NFO the same as pilot at 4,6,6?

Srp7286: Be sure to use December break time to study as much as possible. Let us know what specific areas you need help with so we can guide you to the "best" resources and study materials, or just let us know if you have any questions.

When I was a NROTC instructor, students had to get 5/6/6 to qual for Marine Air contract. Well, really just 5/6/X for Pilot and 5/X/6 for NFO.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Res784

Question regarding the ASTB these days.

I've been studying a lot lately - taking the test in a little more than a week.
Purchased the Cliff's and ARCO military flight aptitude test prep books, and the ARCO Officer Candidate test (latest version on both ARCOs).

I went through my Cliff's mechanical comprehension test tonight on a mock test and didnt look at any questions before starting. I almost soiled myself when I saw how many physics problems there were. I'm not talking about dropping an object versus throwing an object, but velocities after "X" seconds, gravitational force, etc.

Are the ASTBs currently like this? I'm a flight instructor and I'm applying SNA, so naturally I am very confident on the ANT/SAT portions......but, PHYSICS physics??

Thanks for the help!

BDCPCowboy

Question regarding the ASTB these days.

I've been studying a lot lately - taking the test in a little more than a week.
Purchased the Cliff's and ARCO military flight aptitude test prep books, and the ARCO Officer Candidate test (latest version on both ARCOs).

I went through my Cliff's mechanical comprehension test tonight on a mock test and didnt look at any questions before starting. I almost soiled myself when I saw how many physics problems there were. I'm not talking about dropping an object versus throwing an object, but velocities after "X" seconds, gravitational force, etc.

Are the ASTBs currently like this? I'm a flight instructor and I'm applying SNA, so naturally I am very confident on the ANT/SAT portions......but, PHYSICS physics??

Thanks for the help!

Special thanks to Bullgator and atrickpay for helping me put this together.

I consolidated a lot of ASTB gouge that was out there onto one site:

http://www.navy-officer.com/astb.html

Enjoy, comments welcome.

If you check out this link I think that you will find what you are looking for. It seemed to be more concepts that hardcore physics equations. There are also some other great gouge links through out the this site if you look for them.

rbwill2

Does anyone have the info that was on the columbia.edu link? I'm taking the test in a week and have burned through just about everything (Barron's book, ARCO, Study Guides...) but haven't been able to track it down. Anyone mind helping me out?

Res784

Hi all -

Just took my ASTB today and did a lot better than I thought I would.
Since I was intimidated by the whole thing before I took it, I figured I'd at least give my advice.

Besides gouge on the internet and on here, I used the Cliff's book, ARCO Flight Aptitude Test guide and the ARCO Officer Candidate guide (version 7).
Of all 3, my favorite was the arco military flight aptitude guide. All 3 had their pluses and minuses, but as a whole, this book seems to be the best. The Cliff's book wanted me to do college-level physics (which I suck at). The best thing about the Cliffs book is that in the first half of the book, it goes over all sorts of things from how to multiply fractions, to making ratios, etc., to verbal review, mechanics review, etc. The ARCO books didn't really have any of this. Only when the handful of practice/example questions appeared would there be some kind of discussion.

Also, I absolutely hate timed tests, let alone standardized ones. I got myself all worked up over this test because of this fact. Then, taking the practice tests with difficult questions only lowered my confidence.

If I could say anything about the officer candidate ARCO (Ver. 7) book, it would be that the math section is much more difficult than the real test...at least the ASTB version that I took. The mechanical section was pretty darn close to all of my study books though. I did NOT need to do much math on the mechanical section, and sure as hell did not need to find out how fast any balls were traveling (like the Cliffs book swears you need to know).

I dont know when the newest ASTB format changed over, but for me it was like this: (some of my numbers might be a little off - please feel free to correct me)
1-Math - about 30 questions
2-Verbal - about 30 questions
3-Mechanics - about 30 questions
4-Aviation/Nautical - I dont remember the #
5-Spatial Apperception - Dont remember
6-Aviation supplement - Dont remember

Point I'm trying to make is that the math and verbal are separate.

I'm a flight instructor, so I flew through the aviation and spatial stuff with LOTS of time to spare, so I just relaxed and stretched. The spatial apperception stuff is exactly like you see it in some of the study guides...the ones that show a T-34 flyin' all over the place, and for me, I didn't notice any of the questions to be hard to figure out i.e. there werent 2 or 3 choices which looked like possible answers.
For the verbal section, it was ALL reading comprehension: Figuring out the main idea of the paragraph kind of stuff. No picking out incorrect words, etc.

So...Like I said, I was intimidated by the test and thought I was going to get 5s. The test ended up being a lot easier than I thought it would have been. A lot of the math problems you can use deductive reasoning and "work backwards" to pick A,B,C,D,E rather than try to memorized stupid formulas...that will destroy your extremely valuable time. I finished the math section with 30 seconds to spare (i hate math).

My scores:
AQR 7
PFAR 8
FOFAR 7
OAR 59

Feel free to send a PM.

Also, thanks to everyone who posts advice and gouge on here - it really helps! Really put me at ease as well.