• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New ASTB is being released! PLEASE READ!!!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
For those expecting to take the ASTB in order to apply for a commission, there is going to be a new ASTB to be released as noted below. What that means for those who follow Airwarriors is that previous pointers and tips for studying may no longer be relevant. Although the majority of the information is still going to be tested, at least the format will change and new features will be introduced with the new version. SO, IF YOU HAVE BEEN STUDYING TO TAKE THE ASTB, YOU SHOULD DO SO PRIOR TO DEC 9TH.

Partial message pasted below from NOMI:

THE ASTB-E WILL GO LIVE at 0001 CENTRAL TIME ON MONDAY, DECEMBER 9TH.
On this date ASTB Forms 3,4,5 will no longer be administered and APEX 2 will no longer be available. Paper versions of ASTB (Forms 3,4,5) and OAR (Forms 3,4,5) administered on or after 9 December will not be scored.

The ASTB-E contains many new dynamic testing components which require the use of a Joystick, Throttle, and Headphones. It is therefore ONLY AVAILABLE ONLINE via APEX4.
The Officer Aptitude Rating (OAR) test will continue to be available both online and by paper and pencil. The online version is computer adaptive and does not include form numbers. The paper and pencil version is available in three new forms (Forms 6, 7, & 8). All in accordance with SECNAVINST 1532.1.

More information will be passed as I receive it, but this is a big change for both recruiters as well as SNA/SNFO applicants who want to take the ASTB exam.

exNavyOffRec

about time, it has only taken years since they first said "only a few months" :) it does look like the one thing that is different is originally they said there would be only 2 new versions, but at least this now maintains the continuity of the 3 test attempts.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good info, thanks for posting. Have they said anything about the lifetime limit with the new tests and how they are handling previous attempts using forms 3, 4, & 5?

Last time when they killed tests 1&2, and instituted 3, 4, & 5, they did not count previous attempts on the old forms.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
We were one of the classes that took that thing in API as part of their research. What a nightmare...follow a vertically moving ball with the throttle while chasing a moving target around the screen with the stick. Then, every so often, you would have to listen up for a number and press a corresponding button in the stick. I can see how theoretically it tries to mimic task saturation in an aviation environment, but it was super hard and I dont think I could pass it even now.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Good info, thanks for posting. Have they said anything about the lifetime limit with the new tests and how they are handling previous attempts using forms 3, 4, & 5?

Last time when they killed tests 1&2, and instituted 3, 4, & 5, they did not count previous attempts on the old forms.

No clue. The email was essentially a "standby to standby" email with more information provided in the near future.

exNavyOffRec

No clue. The email was essentially a "standby to standby" email with more information provided in the near future.

The instruction says the previous versions do not count against a person, this is also what was told when Joyce? briefed us about 2 years ago when the release was "a few months away".

for quick reference it is under "test administration" the "retest" section.

"Previous administrations of ASTB forms no longer in use do not count toward the lifetime three-administration limit."

We were one of the classes that took that thing in API as part of their research. What a nightmare...follow a vertically moving ball with the throttle while chasing a moving target around the screen with the stick. Then, every so often, you would have to listen up for a number and press a corresponding button in the stick. I can see how theoretically it tries to mimic task saturation in an aviation environment, but it was super hard and I dont think I could pass it even now.
I did this too. I think they had several hundred people take it at API. I remember being really frustrated with my joystick's sensitivity; like if I could have adjusted that it would have been easier for me to chase the little icon around the screen.

The part that made me the most frustrated was the personality test thing. I hated that. "Which sentence more accurately applies to you? A. I never wear my seatbelt. B. I frequently insult my boss at work."

Renegade One

None
about time, it has only taken years since they first said "only a few months" :) it does look like the one thing that is different is originally they said there would be only 2 new versions, but at least this now maintains the continuity of the 3 test attempts.
Any chance in hell that an old, retired NFO could sign up and take the new test just for shits and giggles?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I did this too. I think they had several hundred people take it at API. I remember being really frustrated with my joystick's sensitivity; like if I could have adjusted that it would have been easier for me to chase the little icon around the screen.

The part that made me the most frustrated was the personality test thing. I hated that. "Which sentence more accurately applies to you? A. I never wear my seatbelt. B. I frequently insult my boss at work."
Not to mention the thing was moving around completely randomly, there was no correlation between throttle and stick inputs. In short, I thought the whole thing was about as stupid as it gets. I guess it was exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of video game nerds trying to recreate what it's like to actually fly an airplane with little to no personal experience.