• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Never really been a Runner Or haven't run in forever?

lawilm

**A little background story on where i was fitness wise, you can skip this and get to the program if you wish**

I have been stalking this page for a couple months now getting information and I figured I would come on here to contribute what I can to those who may hate running as much as I USED to (3 months ago)...

There are tons of programs out there and I guess like someone else said once on here, different programs work for different people. One thing I noticed too is many of these Programs seemed to assume someone could even Run 3 Miles without stopping... This may intimidate some I think out of frustration..

I have been in Law Enforcement for Several Years now (Started Full Time Law Enforcement in 2005 while in College) ...

Well after being involved in a lengthy investigation after a couple of Shootings involving me and in a matter of a month a part ...it really changed my life... I have had some soul searching time and determined Law Enforcement was not for me...I allowed it to distract me for so long for what I said I would always do because I did very well in it but I was not happy anymore. Regardless for a few years if I go Active Duty I will be loosing money but I gotta say its not about the money I have learned when you consider the other benefits.

I finally was motivated to revisit my dream of becoming an Aviator and of course for those College Graduates out there I tend to find the Marine Corps the best Option to get a chance to fly over the other Services...

During my career I did a lot of running of course but nothing that would work for the Marines... Sitting stationary in a car, jumping out and running down someone in short distance means crap when your trying to run 3 Miles ... I am VERY FAST Short Range... That being said I am a bottle rocket sadly.

I am even on our Special Tactics Team... I found myself falling into the whole trend of what every single Swat/Srt team member does for some reason at our department and some of the others I encounter (even prior service guys do this)...

Go to the agencies Gym, run a mile or so on a tread mill just for cardio and lift weights , build huge muscles and talk about how lethal we were... What good has this done for me and my PFT Scores? I sucked... Not to mention it seems to make Pull Ups harder I assume from the weight.

**The Program**

For those of you who, for whatever reason, are just getting into running after really not doing much of it in a long time maybe this may help you. It may be somewhere else on this page I just didn't see it...

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Now there are some modifications I have done to this .... Having not been a long distance Runner I found some of this to be a bit too easy on some weeks so I stuck with the program but went up to the 3rd or 4th week and held it for 2 weeks rather than one...

Now a couple/three months ago I would have died trying to continuously run for 3 solid miles.. Now I can run/jog 3 miles and can accomplish it in say 26-27 Minutes using this Program to get to pace.. Doing what I talked about above I found myself completing the Final (week 9) in about 7-8 Weeks and beating the 3 Mile in 30 Minute Pace at a 26-27 Minute Pace without trying too hard...

I do like the program because it does break down short attainable goals that gives you a boost of confidence every time you meet your next mark.

So I am going to hold on to this another week or two then start going for better times and trying some of the other programs...I can't see going from 26 to 22/21 to be that far off I think...

Anyhow, sorry for long post I hope this helps someone.

red_ryder

None
I've heard of this program, sounds like a solid way to get started for those who need to get back on the bus. +1.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Couch to 5k worked for me. Get the podcasts, they are pretty cool. I went from barely able to run a half mile to doing 5ks a few months later.