• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Another interesting show dropping soon on Apple, hadn’t heard about it until it popped up in an article about Masters of the Air. Manhunt, based on the book of the same name, about the pursuit of John Wilkes Booth after Lincoln’s assassination. Anthony Boyle (Crosby the airsick nav) is playing Booth.
IMG_0027.jpegI read the book it’s based on years ago and as I recall it was pretty good.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I enjoyed episode 3 of Masters of the Air. And thought it was good. The raid on Regensburg was accurately portrayed as a running aerial gun fight. In fact, the 100th got chewed up on that raid. Still, I think some timelines are a bit off but so far I’m fine with the Hollywood magic. I particularly liked the slow motion moment during the fight.

Episode 3 was pretty good. It really made me think about aerial gunnery training back then. I want to research how they did it- especially in formation. I assume it's just like a convoy where you assign sectors of fire and what not for the entire formation, not just the one airplane.

I was interested in friendly fire incidents (that's a lot of guns shooting at fast moving targets in close range with one another). It led to this very dry, very nerdy video. But according to the research this guy did, the USAAF did their typical study on returning bombers and found that 1.6% of damage was either friendly fire or self inflicted. But then also says sometimes as much as 20% of damage on returning bombers was friendly fire.

The worst damage by far was, no surprises here, from flak.

Rockriver

pilot
I don't think it's available on Netflix at this time, but with election season in full swing I would recommend checking out the 1937 movie Black Legion, starring Humphrey Bogart. Depending on your political persuasion, you'll either be nodding or shaking your head during the first reel.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Another interesting show dropping soon on Apple, hadn’t heard about it until it popped up in an article about Masters of the Air. Manhunt, based on the book of the same name, about the pursuit of John Wilkes Booth after Lincoln’s assassination. Anthony Boyle (Crosby the airsick nav) is playing Booth.
View attachment 39817I read the book it’s based on years ago and as I recall it was pretty good.
Nice. I used to do the Army Staff Ride for the Lincoln Assassination and those who followed along really enjoyed the history (and proximity).

Last edited:

jmcquate

Contributor
I took the Booth escape tour with Ed Bearss about 15 years ago. On a side note, Mary Surratt's boarding house is now a Chinese take-out place and the spot where the conspirators were hung are now tennis courts on Ft. McNair.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Masters Of The Air continues to be epic. Episode 5 was particularly intense showing what the 8th AF was up against.

They do justice to the story. Amazing to see a B-17 in a rolling scissors with FW-190's in an amazing scene.

Do watch. If you've bought an Apple device in the last couple years, you certainly have a 90-day free trial of Apple TV+ that you can activate. an-amazing-detail-from-episode-5-v0-m9pyu5uoq3jc1.png

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Masters Of The Air continues to be epic. Episode 5 was particularly intense showing what the 8th AF was up against.

They do justice to the story. Amazing to see a B-17 in a rolling scissors with FW-190's in an amazing scene.

Do watch. If you've bought an Apple device in the last couple years, you certainly have a 90-day free trial of Apple TV+ that you can activate. View attachment 39935
Imagine going out with 17 bombers (170 airmen) and returning with only one bomber and a portion of that crew injured. Just astounding.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
The remake miniseries of Shōgun dropped on FX yesterday. Just finished the second episode and damn, it’s gorgeous. Makes the politics interesting and streamlines the novel’s plot without losing anything. Peep it.
Totally concur…really enjoyed it.

Random8145

I've heard some say they think they "woke-i-fied" it some, like having a maid try to assassinate the guy and she apparently has a bunch of special fighting skills that let her fight through multiple men when in the original series, it was a samurai or something? Also that the women are made much more assertive which some question if that is realistic given the position of women in feudal Japan...?

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I've heard some say they think they "woke-i-fied" it some, like having a maid try to assassinate the guy and she apparently has a bunch of special fighting skills that let her fight through multiple men when in the original series, it was a samurai or something? Also that the women are made much more assertive which some question if that is realistic given the position of women in feudal Japan...?
That sounds like a lot of garbage. Female assassins were well known during the Shogunate era, they were known as Kunoichi and, if history is to be trusted, they did quite a lot. I’d also disagree with the assertive woman concept. In Japan women had a sphere of influence, typically inside the home, where they literally ruled the roost and laid down the law to all, including men. In the case of the translator, the Japanese prized knowledge above all else and would have no issue with a woman being in the room where decisions are made. You should seek out new social media sources.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Give me a fucking break. Next I suppose they’ll be complaining that they cast too many Asians.

Mos

None
That sounds like a lot of garbage. Female assassins were well known during the Shogunate era, they were known as Kunoichi and, if history is to be trusted, they did quite a lot. I’d also disagree with the assertive woman concept. In Japan women had a sphere of influence, typically inside the home, where they literally ruled the roost and laid down the law to all, including men. In the case of the translator, the Japanese prized knowledge above all else and would have no issue with a woman being in the room where decisions are made. You should seek out new social media sources.
I'm not an expert, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of source material from the Edo period to say that kunoichi were well known (more info from Japanese scholar). That being said, I wouldn't think it's impossible, just that it's not explicit that women did anything more than infiltrate households for the purpose of gathering information.

Broadly speaking, agree with you that women played various roles in the period beyond what is traditionally thought, whether approved by society or not. Good discussion on this here. Japan during this period was definitely a patriarchal society and women had defined roles that were acceptable depending on social class, but there were deviations from the norm. This seems to be depicted well in the two episodes I've seen thus far, in my opinion.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
I'm not an expert, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of source material from the Edo period to say that kunoichi were well known (more info from Japanese scholar). That being said, I wouldn't think it's impossible, just that it's not explicit that women did anything more than infiltrate households for the purpose of gathering information.

Broadly speaking, agree with you that women played various roles in the period beyond what is traditionally thought, whether approved by society or not. Good discussion on this here. Japan during this period was definitely a patriarchal society and women had defined roles that were acceptable depending on social class, but there were deviations from the norm. This seems to be depicted well in the two episodes I've seen thus far, in my opinion.
Without going down a rabbit hole and getting @Brett327 upset over history discussions, I will also admit that I am not an “expert” on Japan beyond a few grad classes. I do know, however, that female assassins are mentioned in the Bansenshukai (a kind of Ninja NATOPS) which was written in the 17th century, and another primary source from the 16th century that mentions a secret network of female spies and hitters in the service of a warlord named Takeda Shingen.