• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Nervous and need advice on how to address medical issues with Office Recruiter

rmalama

I have recently decided to apply to OCS but am concerned to talk with a recruiter. I have read A LOT of the information on here and tapped all of my personal resources and can't seem to get a clear answer about what to say/what not to say to a recruiter (specifically regarding my medical history)

my concern is that I will disqualify myself. my vision is good, I'm in great shape but I was in a bad car wreck in high school that included follow up surgeries for the next 4 years. 100% recovered but my medical records are thick as books and string across a bunch of different hospitals. On top of that my doc was quick to prescribe adderall when he thought I had ADD in college which seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm realizing ADD is a 'nervous disorder' basically rules out any chance at getting an SNA spot.

I don't want to lie to a recruiter but I know that I am healthy enough to fly and don't want my past holding me down. I've started studying for the ASTB and am not worried about that but I want to make my application as competitive as possible and without a recruiter and limited personal resources I'm feeling a little alone and uneducated here....

any help?

thanks in advance

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
How about you just throw it all out there and see where you end up? That should be your attitude.

In regards on what to talk about...if it is severe or disqualifying and you NO SHIT have the issue still, you have to talk about it , list it, or whatever.

Do not just volunteer more than they need to know..I think that is what the gouge is and what people misconstrue as "lying" or holding from people...telling them exactly what they ask for and nothing more is different then outright lying about it.

It would suck to be completely dropped on an honor violation for lying about something that you could have gotten fixed with a little waiver ass pain. Remember, you want to be an officer and they have integrity.

Good luck and just throw your cards on the table and see where you end up is the best advice I can give.

- Sooner

There are two ways to make 100% sure you don't get a SNA spot.

1: Never call an Officer Recruiter

2: Lie to your Officer Recruiter

Be up front and honest with an OR and they will help you as much as they can. Tell them what you are interested in and whether or not you are qualified, you will never get anywhere until you start talking to someone. Best of luck.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I'm with OUSOONER on this. I had a gf in college who was joining the AF for a flight slot. She had some migraines when she was younger but hadn't had any in years. Being the good girl that she was, she volunteered this information and immediately disqualified herself from flying. She had to go through a bunch of paperwork and see some doctors who assured the AF in writing that she was no longer a victim of migraines. It was a pain in the ass. End result? I heard she's in AF IFS right now. Bottom line? She did the right thing in telling them, but...jeez...don't put yourself through that for no reason.

By no means does that mean lie to them. You're applying to be an officer and you should act accordingly.

Goodluck, let us know how it goes!

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I'm with OUSOONER on this. I had a gf in college who was joining the AF for a flight slot. She had some migraines when she was younger but hadn't had any in years. Being the good girl that she was, she volunteered this information and immediately disqualified herself from flying. She had to go through a bunch of paperwork and see some doctors who assured the AF in writing that she was no longer a victim of migraines. It was a pain in the ass. End result? I heard she's in AF IFS right now. Bottom line? She did the right thing in telling them, but...jeez...don't put yourself through that for no reason.
By no means does that mean lie to them. You're applying to be an officer and you should act accordingly.

Goodluck, let us know how it goes!

No reason??....that benign cyst or that tumor might very well be the reason for those previous migraines; best to get that crap ruled out so one can carry on with life on your terms.

yakboyslim

None
One thing I was told over and over, don't tell or list anything that a doctor did not tell you that you had. Many people say they have migraines, but few get a diagnosis for it. Some say joint problems, but again not many go to a doctor for it.

Be honest and upfront, and face the waivers one at a time. I have waivers for GERD (which I never had but was prescribed for) and vision. I had to show records for two concussions, an undiagnosed and devastating digestive disorder, migraines (actual prescribed migraines), facial surgery, and a potentially lacerated spleen.

But I have been pro-rec'd SNFO, waiting on final select and got all necessary waivers with minimal difficulty.

I guess my point is, if you are physically fit to fill the spot you are shooting for the Navy will agree. Don't lie and don't try to play games, just do it one step at at time the way the Navy wants you to do it.

And don't be scared of your recruiter, my personal experience is that if you show enough interest they will work for you, and that includes clearing up medical history. They are not the enemy in this.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I have recently decided to apply to OCS ........
my concern is that I will disqualify myself. my vision is good, I'm in great shape but I was in a bad car wreck in high school that included follow up surgeries for the next 4 years. 100% recovered but my medical records are thick as books and string across a bunch of different hospitals. On top of that my doc was quick to prescribe adderall when he thought I had ADD in college which seemed like a good idea at the time but now I'm realizing ADD is a 'nervous disorder' basically rules out any chance at getting an SNA spot.

any help?

thanks in advance

If you are 100% recovered and without symptoms, and have full range of motion, there is no readily apparent reason why this wreck would DQ you.

How long ago did you take the ADD meds? Were you diagnosed by a Psychiatrist or an MD with ADD?

Take a closer look at the waiver guid section which deals with Psychiatry, specifically section 14.7. As an applicant, you can get a waiver, if certain standards are met. Use this section as your guide.

Don't quit.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
No reason??....that benign cyst or that tumor might very well be the reason for those previous migraines; best to get that crap ruled out so one can carry on with life on your terms.

Oh, no I agree. For her situation it was the right thing to do -- even though it was really a pain in the butt. What I meant by that was for the OP to not go through that if he doesn't have to. Obviously each individual medical/legal/academic situation is unique and needs to be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

DevilDog9782

I agree with the consensus of "lying" vs "not offering up stuff that won't be an issue". I fell into the second category and haven't looked back. I definately don't condone lying but sometimes it seems to be a gray line. An example:

The problem comes when you fill out those preliminary sheets before you see the doc. They have about a hundred different "yes/no" questions and are very comprehensive. Is it lying when you check "no" for the "have you had any surgeries?" or "have you had any persistent headaches" question.... technically I think it is. Any thoughts?

yakboyslim

None
The problem comes when you fill out those preliminary sheets before you see the doc. They have about a hundred different "yes/no" questions and are very comprehensive. Is it lying when you check "no" for the "have you had any surgeries?" or "have you had any persistent headaches" question.... technically I think it is. Any thoughts?

If you have had surgeries and check "no" that is lying. If it is a minor surgery the Navy will not be concerned with it, and if it is major they will probably find it. So I would always just check yes.

With the headaches you have to consider what they are looking for. If you get a headache when you don't get your morning coffee, that is not what they care about. If you get headaches that do not go away without sleep or more medication than normal OTC stuff, then they are interested. I would say put "no" for minor headaches. Like I said above if you have not gone to a doctor for your headaches, then I wouldn't put it.

rmalama

thanks for the advice all. I've since contacted a recruiter and we spent enough time going over my surgeries through the years and broken bones. He was super helpful and basically told me to gather my records, since I healed back to 100% I may need to go back and get a checkup from the doc which is good for 90 days but I should be fine.

After talking with a few people that have been through the medical screening it seems that if there is a scar or a persistent condition, it needs to be mentioned. Other than that, there is no reason for the NAVY to go through your file looking for past concussions, sprains....etc.

My intention isn't to lie but I want to present myself in good health. Bottom line, I'm going through my records personally, if I wasn't diagnosed with a condition/injury I'm not bringing it up.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
My intention isn't to lie but I want to present myself in good health. Bottom line, I'm going through my records personally, if I wasn't diagnosed with a condition/injury I'm not bringing it up.

Answer all questions asked honestly and succintly. That's what the Navy expects, and it's good practice if/when you become an officer.

Good luck.

navy09

None
After talking with a few people that have been through the medical screening it seems that if there is a scar or a persistent condition, it needs to be mentioned. Other than that, there is no reason for the NAVY to go through your file looking for past concussions, sprains....etc

I'd like Feddoc to weigh in on this, but I'm not too sure about that. You're not a doc...so you're not necessarily an expert on what does/doesn't matter in regard to you being able to fly.

FWIW, I'd be much more worried about the documented history of ADD and meds than the surgeries (since that's now 100%).

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I'd like Feddoc to weigh in on this, but I'm not too sure about that. You're not a doc...so you're not necessarily an expert on what does/doesn't matter in regard to you being able to fly.

FWIW, I'd be much more worried about the documented history of ADD and meds than the surgeries (since that's now 100%).

He's right about the scar thing...not so much that the scar is there, but moreso how it got there.

You are right too. BUMED likes to know about scars, broken bones, retained hardware, etc. BUT will likely pay little more than passing attention to it.

Any prescribed meds taken will draw extra scrutiny....most likely resolved with the (fairly) common solution of X amount of time off the meds, full range of motion, no phsyical restrictions, etc. ADD and like conditions can be waiverable if the applicant meets certain criteria.

In either case, I have always felt it best to make it easy on NAMI to say 'waiver approved' by providing them with what they want to see regarding current and accurate diagnosis...full rom...long time off meds, etc. If they have to go looking for that information on their own, no doubt your waiver will take longer...hence more chance for introducing a glitch on your aviation career.