• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Needs of the Navy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
I've gotten the impression that the navy seems to have a continual slinky effect as far as officer selection. It seems like every community (although it is seemingly more pronounced in aviation) is either majorly over-booked or has a severe defeceit, thus a huge amount of shuffling and odd recruiting. Is the navy always bad at predicting its needs (which may be for a perfectly legitimate reason, like the bredth of its mission and operations), or am I getting the wrong idea? If I'm at all right, are there any citeable, specific reasons?

navsup

BDCP Supply
I havent seen too many communities that have a deficit. I think just about everything is overbooked. A lot of the current situation came after 9-11. Many military personell stayed in because of patriotism. Many others stayed in because of a bad civilian jobs outlook.

airgreg

low bypass axial-flow turbofan with AB driver
pilot
It doesn't stop at officer selection. I think most people would say that the Navy has a "slinky effect" in just about everything they do. Especially in the flight program.
There is a reason that the Navy's unofficial motto is: Semper Gumby -- Always Flexible.
I was expecting "military order" and predictability, and I've found that there is no such thing. Controlled chaos is more accurate.
As for the reasons, it probably has to do with the economy, funding, deployment cycles, force drawdown issues, base realignments and closures, weather (hurricanes), wars, new aircraft coming on-line, etc... Try managing all those factors on a global basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.