• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Needs Advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessVess84

Hello everyone. I was writing this topic, because I would like to hear everyones views on officer programs! I am enlisted and I am 20 years old. I would like to become a Naval Aviator and futher my naval career. The only thing that I am confused about is, What program should I choose? Or which one would be the best. I don't have a degree so I have to choose from the Naval Academy, Naval ROTC or the Sta-21 option. If anyone can tell me how their experience was, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you,
V/R Jessica

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Jessica,

I was not prior enlisted, but the way it sounds like it, STA-21 is probably the best option (though very competitive). Why? Well, for starters, your education will be paid for, you get orders to college, and you keep your rank and are considered active duty. The downside is that you must do it in 3 years, but those three years will count as service time. If you went to the academy or regular ROTC (I think you'll be attached to a ROTC unit with STA-21), I'm sure you'll do fine but there will be a gap in your service. Based on your age, if you did STA-21, when you got comissioned, you'd be 01-E (need at least 4 years enlisted), which means better BAH. If you did Academy or ROTC, you'd probably be paid 0-1 with 3 years. Just a thought.

rjack14

F/A-18F WSO (FRS)
None
I am just graduating from the Academy this year, and got my service selection of NFO. I can tell you if you want to be a pilot it is very competitive. You would have to work hard to get pilot out of here. You get some prestige from going here, but really its not like you will be a better officer just coming here. You have the alumni support later on for the civilian world, but you miss out a lot on the college life. If you have any specific questions about the academy let me know. Oh, and you take a major pay hit.

JessVess84

rjack14 & Thisguy20-I have decided what I am going to do. I am going to apply for the Sta-21 option being that this years class for the Naval Academy has already been chosen. Plus the Sta-21 packet is due no later than the 1st of July and the results for that option comes out in mid to late October. If I for some reason don't get picked up for the Sta-21 option, I have three months to apply to the academy. I have all of my information for both the Sta-21 packet and the Naval Academy application in order to be submitted. I will then submit my application to the academy at the beginning of November being that you can not apply to both at the same time. On the other hand, I would like to know your imputs on how well the Congressional Nominations hold in the application process to both options. I am asking this, because I have a Congressional Nomination from my senator back home for both programs. If you have any futher information of what I could obtain that would make a third class that has only been in the navy a little over a year, a little more applealing above and beyond the rest, that would be greatly appreachiated. Thank you!

JessVess84

OK everyone! Here is the latest! I just recieved my packet for the candidate nomination package and I have two prospective Senators that are backing me up for both programs. I also have about one month before I am able to set up interviews for the Sta-21 boards. I was wondering if the Candidate application packet means anything as far as if it is the next step? If my chances are still good? Also, I was wondering if letters of Recommendation have to be from active duty or can they be from Retired? I can obtain a letter from a Ret. Brigadier General if that's what I need to do!
Thank you and I hope to hear back from you all!
P.S. Do you think that what I am decideing to do is a good idea, or should I decide on just one? Please refer to the post from the 10th of February! Thank you once again

BYPASS

JessVess,
I can only give you information about the academy and not nearly as much as rjack 14 since he has been there for 4 years. I only have a nomination and waiting to hear at this point. As far as Senators backing you up, that will be confirmed once you have an official nomination letter in your hand. 2 senatorial nominations would be great, but all you need is one to be considered for appointment. The letter of recommendation from the Ret. Brigadier General should be great for both the academy and the Sta-21 option. Tip: Make sure you have all of your senatorial packets ready to send in early. I sent mine in July, it shows your motivation. Also, I wouldn't wait to hear about the other program before sending in the academy application or nomination requests. Get your app in and request the nominations first, then see what happens if you receive one (or more). If you do, then it's up to the academy to decide on who receives appointments. Keep all your options open.

benny2299

I'll try to help on the pay issue. You are given a monthly salary of $600-$700 ($558 back in my day). Each academic year you get a little more of that in cash, the rest goes for paying off your computer and various expenses the Mid Store Mafia cooks up. For example, my years we got $50 cash a month my 4/c year, then $100, then $175, and finally $300 a month during 1/c (senior year). So you will not be keeping your enlisted pay and when you graduate you will not be able to count those academy years towards your pay or towards retirement. Example: If you entered the academy with 3 yrs enlisted, you would be commissioned as an O-1 with 3 years. I believe with most other programs you count those 4 years spent in college and keep your current enlisted pay.
All that being said, you really can't appreciate the academy unless it's experienced first-hand. While it may not produce better officers, I think it gives one the tools to become a better officer and from there it all depends on the individual. I have had countless experiences at the academy or as a direct result of going to the academy that I would never trade.

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
JessVess, Both programs are highly competitive. I was selected for Seaman to Admiral and I am leaving for NSI in April. I applied twice before I was accepted. You are doing the right thing by doing your research and exploring all of your options. There are some great postings about the Seaman to Admiral program on this site, which should help in your endeavor.

BYPASS

Tom Ace,
Thanks for the info! I guess since I'm not enlisted, I didn't even consider enlisted pay. The catalog I received at the summer seminar does state the monthly stipend throughout the 4 yrs. at the Academy, or I read it somewhere else. I'm a senior in high school and just waiting to hear if I get in.

BYPASS

BTW- Any other advice or info you can give me on the Academy I'd appreciate. Right now, I'm just trying to stay in shape, keep the grades up and stay up with current events. A week at the SS wasn't long, but I think it definitely weeded out those that realized that was not the college life they wanted. NROTC is my backup plan if I don't receive an appointment.

benny2299

BYPASS
The pay info was for the the originator of the topic, who is currently enlisted. Summer Seminar was a good deal, that's when I decided to pursue an appointment. Five years later I was teaching one of the seminars as an Ensign, felt weird. You can send me an e-mail if you have any more questions. My info may be a little outdated, but I'll give it a shot.

JessVess84

Tom Ace- was that last post for me, or for BYPASS? Cause I would like to ask you more questions if you get the chance! thank you

benny2299

Anyone can e-mail me with questions and I'll try to answer. I just prefer you send an e-mail so we don't post question after question on the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.