• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

need word of advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

lenny

Hello,
I hope that somebody will be able to give me some info/advice. I enlisted in the Navy with intention to eventually become Naval Aviator. I departed to boot camp as undesignated airman and after short atd school I arrived at my current command overseas as E2. Before I enlisted I attended community college from which I have about 60 credits. At my command I also took some classes and Clep tests so my final number of credits should be around 70. That is where the trouble starts. After arrival at my command I soon started to run request chits for college classes with disapproval from my immediate chain of command. After I decided to "skip" or follow my chain of command higher and finally got approval to take classes I ended up with "hostile" LPO and LCPO because of that. Simply attitude of my immediate COC is "you do what we tell you to do" with no consideration for personal aspiration etc. This is not just me but whole division. Anyways I just didn't get discouraged and worked on my quals and at the same time continued taking classes. Right now I'm finishing my Air Warfare pin and getting ready to start working on my surface since I think this will definitely help me to get picked up for STA21. I'm also E3 now eligible for E4 exam in March05.
My question is regarding my enlisted navy career. Simply after one year of being on the ship I’m eligible to put in package to request "A" school. This will be in November04. Currently I'm in the V4 division, over manned, with shipmates being airmans even after 3 years in the navy.
I'm curious what would be the best rate to strike for in order to have best chances for STA21 pilot option. Also lets say I choose a rate, finish A school around february05 and immediately put my package together. Do you think it would be possible to get letters of recommendation from my future COC before STA21 deadline in july05? Finally what about if I stay in my current rate (ABF) and just try to pass E4 exam. Would that be an advantage since Navy wouldn't have to spent additional finances for my A school and transfer to different duty station? That' just a little bit of speculation I have on my mind right now...
My last question is about US citizen officers not actually born in the US. Have you met somebody with "accent" as an Officer in the Navy? Reason I'm asking is that I just finished mailing off my application for US Citizenship. I have no doubt about granting, however I'm curious how is board or my CO going to look at the fact that future naval aviator applicant is fresh US citizen. Any experiences to share?
That is it for now, thank you for replies and to let you know, this website is one of the best on the net :)
ahadu

turtle_sc

STA-21 Non-select
Sounds like you are doing pretty good. I too went through ATD. but since I was top of my class I got to pick an "A" school right then. I went with RM which is now IT. I would definately put in a package to get an "A" school. That way if something happens and you don't get picked up for STA21 right away you will still be better off than you are now. If you want to stay airdale, I would try for AW or AT. That way you are atleast aircrew, or can be aircrew. It will give you a better appreciation for flying and also get you closer to what you want. It won't hurt for letters of rec either. Don't let your COC get you down, just do what you can and try not to piss off too many people. Good luck, and keep your head down!

Turtle

lenny

Thanks for reply. While I went through ATD, first in the class was automatically advanced one paygrade so no A school choice there ... but IT is what I had on my mind at first so it seems that I will go with that. Yep, I'll try keep my head down; I guess that valuable lesson was already learned :) Could you please share your experience with STA?
thanks ahadu

cjettaf

BLACK SHOES
ahadu,
I spoke with some STA-21 selectees in my class who were selected for the pilot option and they were diverse. Three I know of were an HM, ET, and an EM nuke. That just goes to show that your rate should not matter for selection.
Best of luck with your application
-CJF

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ahadu ,
I was in the same boat some 18 years ago. I was a non-designated E-3 on the USS Enterprise. I was in the V-1 division and after a year and doing all the course books for Aviation Electrician's Mate (AE), I asked for 'A' school and got it. I got off the BOAT and when to school....my life was much better after that. Several years later, I applied for and was accepted to ECP (STA-21 predicessor). You can do it, but you have to prove yourself to the people you work for.....Do the course books for the RATE you want and take the E-4 test (IT?) for that rate (Get out of the ABF rate). If you make third class, you will most likely be re-assigned on the ship. Keep pressing on!

As far as your other question: I have a buddy that was born in Laos and became a Naval Officer through the ECP program....and yes he speaks with an accent. Good luck!
ea6bflyr

JKD

I went the same route as ea6bflyr (almost exactly).

I was a non-rate airmen. Did the courses for AE3, and spent some time in the AE shop (I was airwing) on my "off time" during deployment. Took the test, and I was advanced.
I was on a 2 year active duty contract, and left the service to college start after the 2 years. I was frocked to E-4 the day I went on terminal leave.

You may have already heard the phrase "chose your rate, chose your fate". This is true. Pick something you enjoy and consider the current manning of the rate (my understanding is IT is currently over manned?). Manning will change, but don't start in something overmanned. It will be harder to make 3rd, and harder to advance in the future.

On the topic of "skipping" or "following" your chain of command. You are "skipping" if you go over your superiors without telling them (very bad idea). You are "following" if you tell your superiors that you plan to pursue your request up the chain of command.
Your CPO/DIVO/Department Head are going to ask if you talked to the LPO/CPO/DIVO... before coming to them. You want to be able to say yes to this question. (they will also ask what they said, and why you are appealing - but you already know most of this).

lenny

Hi everyone,
Thank you for the input and your experience, I really need some kind of motivation. So far I managed to get my AW and I started working on SW as far as progress goes right now ...
The COC SLOWLY starts to change their minds about me since they see me taking college classes, getting pins ... you probably already know how it is. However as ea6b said I have a feeling that things will change dramatically when I transfer to a school. I’m curious how did you guys managed to stay focused and motivated trough you enlisted years, especially as undesignated airman/seaman...
Anyway if you have any idea what would be another good thing to get to improve my changes (qual, pin extra activity) please let me know. Also do you have any idea which command would be the best to choose considering off-duty education? I’ll be eligible for new orders after a-school and I would definitely like NOT to end up in command I’m at right now. Small base which equals only couple of available college courses via NC...
Thank you for future reply
ahadu

Status
Not open for further replies.