• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some firsthand advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PilotCPB

Got a few questions...

I'm heading out to see the USN recruiter in a few weeks to get the ball rolling on my attempt to get a pilot slot...
I know they're gonna know EXACTLY what I need to do to get through the process, but I wanted to give them a great first impression by showing up at the door with a good deal of what they will want to see first, i.e. resume, transcripts, copies of my pilot & medical certificates.... please fill me in on other things I might wanna have with me. Also, what else will I need to submit in the long run? I'm in the process of rounding up some letters of reccommendation and I will have my degree finished in December. I wanna get ahead of the paperwork game before it starts, if possible.
If anyone out there knows who the best recruiter in the Indianapolis area is, please let me know!
Thanks,
Chris

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Shadow is right about openings. I got recommended for pilot about a month ago and put my final paperwork in about a week ago. Got a call this week that pilot was closed and that if I got a final select it would be for NFO. Take that for what its worth as things seem to change on a regular basis.

But ignoring the above and realizing that different recruiters have different ways of doing things. First off, I never met with my recruiter until I went in to take the ASTB, hopefully you're already searching this site for gouge and studying. Official transcripts would probably be a waste of money since you're graduating a few weeks later and they'll want official degree granting transcripts but you can bring an unofficial copy to give them. I never was asked for or ever submitted a resume but it can't hurt to bring it. I did submit a copy of my pilot certificate but the navy is going to do their own physical exam so your FAA medical is pretty worthless. One item that slowed me up was employer references. If go in there with supervisor name, mailing address, phone number and fax for all jobs for the last three years it could speed things up a bit. Those are in addition to letters of recommendation. The only other major paperwork that I can think of is the EPSQ. You can do a search on that too but it is essentially a list of every place you've lived, worked, or gone to school and the conctact info of someone who knew you there. The EPSQ is a program you run on your home computer so there is no need to bring all that info to the recruiter, they'll give you the info on the ESPQ and tell you when to fill it out.

I can't really think of anything else to add right now except to say good luck.

PilotCPB

heynowlookout,

Hey man thanks for the info..
About the employer references, are they gonna contect everyone I worked for, or just the most recent employers? Just asking because a few of the places I worked at have had some attrition and the current management might not know who I was. Also I worked at the school paper for a semester and was much more conservative than the other people who wrote there, which is why I quit rather abruptly, and I don't think they would say many positive things about me.
Thanks,
Chris

heynowlookout

pilot
Contributor
Chris,
The instructions on the application are going to say list all employers including part time for the last three years. As far as I know they did contact both of my former employers. Basically they send them a form, DD 370, you might be able to find it online somewhere but if not and you'd like to see a copy let me know and I can email it to you.

I wouldn't worry too much about the references. People may not like you but they'd have to be real a POS to try to screw you over like that. Additionally your recruiter is going to see anything they send in before it goes to the board. If there's something a bit off you may be asked to write a statement giving an explanation of your side. I personally had to write two statements to explain various things in my application.

Best advice I can give is go in there with a list of your concerns and go over each one with your recruiter. Having all the info on your jobs is only a suggestion to speed things up, not a requirement.

Sean

Status
Not open for further replies.