• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some advice.

hurricanejake

Here's my story:
When I got out of college I was accepted to OCS as a flight contract. I went to Quanitco and in week 5 broke a few bones in my feet. I gutted it out as long as I could but in week 8 I couldn't train anymore. I got sent home. Since I had been running and jumping around on broken bones, it took severl months to get back to 100%. By that time I had gone back to work in the private sector in IT. Because of my job, we've moved around a bit but I've always had the feeling like being a Marine was what I was truly meant to do. After my first child was born and my 27th bday, I assumed it was "over" for me. But now that I've seen a few of the guys on this board, I have reason to think maybe it's not all over for me. I've never contacted an OSO since my first time around because I've always felt like I failed physically, but if I were to rock my PFT and go for a waiver (I'm 31), would my initial OCS experience be held against me?

It's been really tough during the past few years watching all the stuff going on in the world and feeling like I should be doing something to help out, but I just figured I missed my chance. What do you guys think?

thull

Hurricane...I can just tell you that getting an age waiver will likely be a battle in itself. I'm just over the cutoff, maxed my PFT, did good on everything else, and my waiver got shot down. There's lots of prior Es who get age waivers because of a difference in policy, but otherwise if you're not prior E, age waivers aren't really entertained...that's what I'm hearing at least. Who knows, maybe with your previous OCS contract they'd look at you differently. Best of luck.

Ric Hard

Like Thull, I see where your coming from. However, at age 27 you were pushing the age limit. Now at 31 it will be even tougher. The board will consider at age 27 you broke a few bones and were unable to continue. They may assume at your age now this occurance is more likely. If you are considering a ground contract then you have a great chance of making it. As far as an air contract is concerned............ not sure. Whatever you decide, Good luck to you.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Dont know anything about the age issue, but you're previous OCS experience won't be held against you unless you were a DOR or if you really didnt do so hot and they reccommended you didnt come back. If you were just NPQ then it shouldnt matter. It would probably be good to see that you went, got hurt, and are coming back. But that age thing might get you. Ask an OSO the same questions you asked us and you'll find you best answer there. Good luck.

hurricanejake

Dont know anything about the age issue, but you're previous OCS experience won't be held against you unless you were a DOR or if you really didnt do so hot and they reccommended you didnt come back. If you were just NPQ then it shouldnt matter. It would probably be good to see that you went, got hurt, and are coming back. But that age thing might get you. Ask an OSO the same questions you asked us and you'll find you best answer there. Good luck.

No, I wasn't a DOR...who goes through 80% and doesn't finish on choice? That would be crazy. OK, here's the long version:

We all know the games that go on at OCS and nursing an injury is one of them. Yes, there are "Whiskey Deltas" who stub their toe and get light duty for a week because their lazy...every platoon has their "Pyle". Ours was Murphy...he literally spent about a week in the rack for being "excessively exhausted"...there's a guy you want to trust with your life.

Anyway, when you're there and the weeks are ticking by and the platoon is getting smaller and smaller...you'll do anything to avoid excessive attention that will get you skylined. Having a broken bone is a sure way to get a 1-way ticket home, so if it isn't killing you and you can stand up...you keep going. It's a catch-22...you don't know how badly you're hurt until you go to sickbay, but if you go to sickbay, you're screwed.

I lasted as long as I could running, humping and PT'ing on 3 broken bones in my right foot and one in my left. It was obvious to my Platoon Sergeant that I was broken but every time he asked me, I denied it out of fear for being sent home. I was literally hobbling around to and from chow, during PT and would even stand on one foot in formation when nobody was looking. This slowly progressed for about 3 weeks until I couldn't get a passing time in the O-course...and I had finished in just over 60 seconds before my injury. By the end, it took me over 3 minutes I think...although I could still rock the rope climb!

So, by trying to avoid skylining myself, I skylined myself on accident by being a "slow runner". I could still hump but I was pretty gimped up and it was ugly. I was also taking enough Advil & Motrin to choke a horse and getting up an hour early (around 3) to start icing myself down for the day. By that time my whole stride was messed up and I had developed bursitis in both hips and felt like a 90 year old. After I failed the O-Course my Platoon Sergeant told me that if I couldn't pass the O-Course, I would be sent home for "failing physically" or something. I tried the best I could but I just couldn't do it any faster.

When I got home, I went to my family doc who x-rayed my feet. While waiting I was looking at the x-rays hanging up from other patients and I saw one of a foot that was completely broken and mangled like it had been in a motorcycle accident...I said, "wow, that guy is messed up" and the nurse said "that's your x-ray". So, at least I know that I truly was hurt and not just being a wimp about the pain.

What made it so difficult for me to accept was that before I got hurt, I had developed into a solid candidate. I started out near the bottom 25% of my platoon, but by week 5, I was leading runs. I think I got a 226 on my inventory PFT and a 287 on my second one, so I was developing. I think I was the only one in my platoon to get a perfect land nav. score and always did extremely well on academics. It’s been a hard pill to swallow knowing that 3 or 4 tiny little bones can shut you down. Like I said, I did all I could and like to think I did more than most would have (at least in my company).

As I mentioned earlier, I am in IT now and have done pretty well for myself in the past 4-5 years since then, but I still have dreams about being back at OCS. I make more money than any of my friends from college and I’ve worked for some really great companies like Microsoft and GE but I'm most proud of my time at OCS and I know I’d go back to that E5 pay grade in a heartbeat if I could get back to Quantico. Sorry to ramble, but I wanted everyone to know the history on my “question for advice”. If anyone has any additional comments or advice, please let me know. Thanks and Semper Fi.
Jake

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
No, I wasn't a DOR...who goes through 80% and doesn't finish on choice?
The same kind of candidate that completes OCS but denies their commission.
After I failed the O-Course my Platoon Sergeant told me that if I couldn't pass the O-Course, I would be sent home for "failing physically" or something. I tried the best I could but I just couldn't do it any faster.
So you were found not physically qualified because of your injury or did you leave for some other reason? I ask because I'm wondering why you think your previous experience would be held against you. Did they say that they want you to come back when you're healed?

openbah

I'm not lazy, I'm disabled.
Openbah, how is the becomng un-broke going?
Awesome. I'm doing strength training and cardio (can't run yet) 5-6 days/week. Going to get the hardware out of my leg sometime in March. Once that's healed, I can get off disability and start the long and difficult process of getting cleared to return to OCS. Thanks for asking. Go Pats!

/threadjack, for reals.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
No, I wasn't a DOR...who goes through 80% and doesn't finish on choice? That would be crazy.

Good deal. Same thing happened to me. I ended up making it through but it took a good four months for that $hit to heal. Good luck.

The Stinkster

Now who do I blame?
pilot
Quick question.....may be a reading comprehension problem, but did you ever go to the doc and they found the broken bones and you were sent home, or did they send you home for failing the O course and THEN you went to the (civ) doc and found out that you had broken bones and the Marines never knew? Makes a difference I think.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My concern here is if and when you finish training and get commissioned. The "I can hack it" mentality you have is pretty dangerous to flying. Flying sick or under the weather is my concern for you. Make sure you recage your gyro and get the correct mindset if you start to fly. "I can hack it" is not going to work. Running on a bad foot is one thing, blowing out a sinus, rupturing an eardrum, and the associated flight concerns with each is worth thinking about.
Good luck with your foot.

hurricanejake

Couple points...

I didn't make myself clear earlier, I was 24 when I went to OCS so it's been about 6.5 years, but I've kept myself in good shape and haven't have any injuries since. I'm 31 now.

Also, I went to sickbay once and the doc said that I might have a stress fracture. I said I felt fine. So I went back to training and pretended it didn't exist. So to answer the question, yes I went to sickbay but I got sent home for not being able to do the O-Course and 5 mile runs in a reasonble time...so I got in trouble. My platoon sgt. knew I was hurt but I just couldn't bring myself to go home over a FOOT! Stupid, I know.

I feel pretty confident I could max out the pullups and situps...and bring in a respectible run time. Maybe hit a 275+ on the PFT. Should I call an OSO or just let it be water under the bridge? I think because I AM a little older, I'd make an even better candidate, but that's not for me to decide.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
I'm in a similar boat, minus the successful job. I say go for it. I sure am. At the very least, if you get turned down it'll settle your mind and you'll know for sure, which will be good for peace of mind when you're 70-something and looking back on things.

USMC_NA

27 and a half is the cutoff; that's it thats all, but you can still be a marine officer, which SHOULD be your desire if you really mean what you say about "watching all the stuff happening and wanting to help out". Do you want to help out or do you want to specifically be a pilot? sounds like you should straighten your story. sentimental thoughts will not do anything for you here. Neither will an extremely long story with a bunch of reasons why you are not accomplishing what you say your "destined" to do. If you're being serious about the things your saying, then just get off your ass and stop making excuses for why you are not currently leading marines. A few others in this forum need to straighten their stories too. this doesn't sound like the conversation of marines to me. If they kicked me out of the cockpit today, i would gladly go to any MOS as long as it was leading marines.