• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need info on IW pipeline

pat

Hey guys, quick question here for a friend. I was a FY-06 pickup for STA, and now my buddy is interested as well. He would like to know some basics of the IW field; potential duty stations, basic job description, and any follow-on training from commissioning date. I ran a search and didn't really find what I was looking for. If you have some insight, please share.

Thanks guys,
Pat

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Hey guys, quick question here for a friend. I was a FY-06 pickup for STA, and now my buddy is interested as well. He would like to know some basics of the IW field; potential duty stations, basic job description, and any follow-on training from commissioning date. I ran a search and didn't really find what I was looking for. If you have some insight, please share.

Thanks guys,
Pat

Wow...good first post. He ran a search and then came back with specific questions. Welcome to the forum.

pat

Hey dave, thanks for the welcome. I understand that IW's typically have a linguistic/signal processing background... that seems like a big difference... my next question (with the first still being fair game) is how much control does your background have in your future as an IW? Is it a broad field?

Again, thanks for any info,
pat

LoneSailor

Welcome Pat. Is your friend a CT? That's one of the prerequisit for the STA-21 IW Option, assuming he wants to go that route. I ask you this because in your first post you ask about potential duty stations and job description for IW officers, well if your friend is already a CT then he would somewhat know the answers to that. Follow-on training is NCOBC in Pcola.

As far as your second post goes, the one major thing that makes or break you as a future IW officer is your personal background as far as run-ins with the law, financial background, associations with foreign persons etc.. You must pass the SSBI and attain a TS clearance in order to be an IW officer. Knowledge in foreign language is a definite plus for potential IW officers.

Hope that helps.

pat

He is a Comms ET. He DOES have a good background in signal processing, and is ts/sci right now. When I went through BOOST/NSI last year (along with FMRAM) there were a handful of non-intel rates (MM/STS/etc) who were in the IW pipeline.

According to the last instruction that I read (which may have been updated since) any rate that had a background in the field was welcome to apply... which is why I asked about the spectrum of the field.

Thanks for the reply Creepto, I was going to PM you if I didn't get any replies here in the next few days. :)

LoneSailor

The STA-21 website states that it is only strictly open to CT source rates, unless those Sailors from NSI had some sort of waiver (and have already attained their TS/SCI clearance) that might've been the only reason why they were picked up for IW.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/options.html#crypto

Your friend might want to contact someone at STA-21 and ask them if there is some sort of waiver he/she can get.

pat

I'll see what I can come up with. There were a fistful of guys going IW with no CT background, so it can't be impossbile. Thanks for the info, I'll make some phone calls.

Please keep me updated if you find out something new.

Thanks guys,
Pat