• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Help With Pistol Display.

brownshoe

Contributor
I have these two pistols that I want to display on this very old cutting board. At first I was going to suspend them on these brass shoulder hooks that you can see in the picture. However, the more I think about it, it just doesn’t seem like a very good idea. I was hoping someone here might have some ideas about some other types of hardware I might utilize.

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• display1.jpg
    display1.jpg
    718.2 KB · Views: 81

keeper28

If it was me, I'd be putting them behind glass like in a big shadow box. You could line it with something cool like a copy of the consitution and then suspend them with invisible wire and hooks. But maybe you want something more manly.

brownshoe

Contributor
Thanks you two. Nice ideas, but I was kinda hoping for a way to mount them so they could be removed from the display board. I’m more looking for “hardware ideas” from folks that have similar displays.

Steve

brownshoe

Contributor
How 'bout some wooden dowels stained to match the board?

I have thought about using dowels, but I was thinking of something a little… well smaller. I thought dowels would stand out a bit… be a bit too big.

Steve

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How about something like this with bullets as the mount supports?

IMG_1725.jpg

keeper28

Have you thought about maybe some old antique looking drawer knobs- I know that we have some stars from the great state of Texas that would have the abilty to prop a pistol on. I know that I've seen some similar looking wrought iron looking knobs and pulls at Home Depot.

brownshoe

Contributor
How about something like this with bullets as the mount supports?

IMG_1725.jpg

This is a very nice display, nice touch with the bullets for mounts, on the 45.

However, these two pistols are “cap and ball” (You’ll notice the smaller pistol had been converted to cartridge in its later life. Who knows to what caliber?).

The kids in my neighborhood are over all of the time and it’s important to me that these guns can be handled by them they are a pieces of history. The Colt actually has a name burnished into the grip. The gun belonged to a man, here in my little historic town who used it during the Civil War.

Steve

keeper28

I'm not sure of the weight of them, but if you attached 2 small shelves with a groove in them, stained to match the board, could the pistols just be set on them and leaned back against the board securely?

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
I saw a display once where two guns were hanging on the board like you have shown there, but they were resting on a couple of USA/CSA powder flasks and belt buckles that were screwed into the board. It looked like a nice shadow box display of all this typical Civil War gear, but the guns could just be lifted of their perches. (Guy I knew who had it actually kept them loaded, thinking it was a "Purloined Letter" style way of hiding his guns.)

brownshoe

Contributor
Maybe old looking nails, would go along with the rustic look.

You know, that’s a pretty good idea. Look at this nail I retrieved from a historic building I razed a few years ago. It’s hand made and rustic looking, but of course way too large, 5 inches in length. There are a few shops in the area however, that might have some old screws and nails. Good idea!

Thanks,

Steve

Attachments

• DSC00244.jpg
    DSC00244.jpg
    851.2 KB · Views: 42

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
Awesome! What kind/how old are those pistols?! Very historic looking (I love that stuff).