• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need education advice

Gustafel

Hi all. I posted a similar thread awhile ago about how useful it would be to get a second degree. In that time I've decided to keep my bases covered and start looking into getting another degree, and wanted to see if anyone could give me some insight on what my best next move would be navy-wise.

For reference, my GPA is a 3.0 in music performance and I haven't taken the ASTB yet due to not being in weight limits yet, and the fact my local officer recruiter isn't even taking new applicants for SNA, which is what I'm after. I'm 27, turning 28 next month, and with the backlog at pensacola I'm guessing that means my chances of getting picked up before I pass the age limit are pretty bad.

I was thinking about either picking up a second bachelor's degree in computer science from Western Governor's University, which is online, or going to law school. It would also be a great chance to give my GPA a bump, so I wanted to ask what might be my better option navy-wise?

To be clear: I'm not considering more school JUST for the navy, these are my top backup options if the Navy doesn't work out anyway, and since there's a chance I might be able to eke out a little more competitiveness for SNA along the way that just sweetens the deal. Asking which one is better as far as SNA spots are concerned is because the two are pretty equally-appealing in my mind. So in the absence of a strong preference for one or the other I'm defaulting to using "which one would be best if a miracle occurs and I have a shot at a SNA spot?" as a starting point.

My top concerns are

1) Does the navy look down on/discriminate against degrees earned online? Would I be shooting myself in the foot to enroll in an online university or would it make no difference?

2) If I went to law school, does the navy have any sort of practice of forcing people to go into law even if they want to be part of some other community? Like, I know boards are community-specific, but is there some tradition where, say, a SNA board rejects an otherwise-good applicant because they want lawyers to do law? I'm using hyperbole a little bit here, but I know the army and air force regularly force people to take jobs they don't want, so I wanted to double-check the navy didn't have something similar.

3) Since I haven't decided between computer science and law yet, what are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Let's say I hypothetically went to law school and got a 4.0 (unlikely, but let's just say for the purpose of the thought experiment). Since Law school is a master's-level program would that supersede my 3.0 bachelor's? Conversely, if I got a second bachelor's in computer science how much would it bump my competitiveness since it's a STEM degree (CS does count, right?)

Please and thank you for your advice.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Before you start keep in mind that Law School is a solid three years while a second Bachelors is about two years so you’ll bust the age limit either way.

1. While some individuals might be snobbish about degree location, as long as the degree is from an accredited university/college you’ll be fine.

2. This is a great question and I’ll let others with actual experience answer but my “guess” is no. The navy doesn’t have to accept you, but they can’t force you into any program.

3. Computer science falls under the “T” in STEM. Most jobs in the military (law and medicine being different) aren’t exactly equal to civilian education. A musician can learn to fly as well as an engineer but the options after your initial tour get limited if you don’t plus up your military (and civilian) education. I am not sure if having a Master’s is all that important for an initial entry officer (again, beyond the skills of lawyer or medical doctor).

Best of luck.

Gustafel

Thanks for responding! Right, I realize now I didn't quite articulate that question as well as I could have. Let me try and focus it a little more.

4. I'm particularly interested in how either degree program would affect my GPA specifically? I've heard the navy averages all your bachelor's-level programs? So if I did a master's degree in law (or another subject) would my gpa then be calculated off that and ignore my bachelor's or would my bachelor's gpa still be included in the consideration?

And I realized I actually have more questions so I'll include them now.

5. How would getting a second degree affect my chances of getting selected as opposed to enlisting? I've heard enlisting can make the process take longer and I'm already getting up there in years. To be clear: I do still want to serve, and I'm not opposed to enlisting, I just REALLY want SNA and I'm not sure about the risk-reward balance for enlisting first.

6. Flight school is another option I've considered. Do flight hours from a commercial flight school affect your package any differently than just getting your pilot's license from your local flight school? Can good academic performance at a commercial flight school offset a lower GPA?

Come to think of it, it's always a possibility I could try and get a second bachelor's in aviation. Get the best of both.

Again, please and thank you for your advice!

Meyerkord

pilot
Unless something changed very recently, you need to commission by age 32. Age 28 is a thing of the past. And the backlog in Pensacola has nothing to do with when you commission. The pool constantly grows and shrinks throughout the year and shouldn’t be a concern.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Stop, all stop here.

Pursue a second degree if that is a means of pursuing a backup plan, whether that's for another Navy/OCS program or in the civilian sector. DO NOT waste money on additional college courses just to try to get a "leg up" with aviation.

The ASTB score is the biggest weight for Naval Aviation boards. A high ASTB score can offset an average/below GPA. There are plenty of 2.7 GPA SNAs/Aviators out there who were able to get picked up because of a good ASTB.

Finally, and I hate to break it to you... WGU is a OK school at best. Should you want to set yourself up with civilian employment or another career... go to a brick and mortar school. Yes WGU is cheap... but that is because it's for a reason.

To summarize, talk to your officer recruiter and figure out a new plan.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Stop, all stop here.

Pursue a second degree if that is a means of pursuing a backup plan, whether that's for another Navy/OCS program or in the civilian sector. DO NOT waste money on additional college courses just to try to get a "leg up" with aviation.

The ASTB score is the biggest weight for Naval Aviation boards. A high ASTB score can offset an average/below GPA. There are plenty of 2.7 GPA SNAs/Aviators out there who were able to get picked up because of a good ASTB.

Finally, and I hate to break it to you... WGU is a OK school at best. Should you want to set yourself up with civilian employment or another career... go to a brick and mortar school. Yes WGU is cheap... but that is because it's for a reason.

To summarize, talk to your officer recruiter and figure out a new plan.
THIS ^^^^^

Your GPA is fine. As a Ph.D. I can tell you, never pursue a post bachelors education for anything other than a career move.

At your age DO NOT enlist unless you want to service your country. You have the degree and capability to earn a commission if you so desire. Don’t be afraid to look at other services (with your degree I mostly mean the Army for flying). Look at their Warrant Officer programs.

I am going to fall to the side of “no” on civilian flight school. The Navy has a flight school for a reason and they will teach you the skills they want you to have. An aviation degree is not going to carry any weight. A few civilian familiarization flights could be fun just to see if you like it, but military flying is quite different.

As someone with a JD and also did some WGU stuff in computer science, I feel like I'm supposed to help you... but I have no idea what to tell you. Like, what do you want to do? I know lots of people who end up not using their JD (and my JD is like from a Top 20, but I think it's Top 25. Only Top 14 really matters, in my opinion). Lots of people also sell their soul for money. Like I'm totally not using my JD especially since I just got picked up for SWO-IP ?. I didn't even apply to JAG. But I guess I like computer science because computers are cool.

You know, you can always get a law degree afterwards. You can also apply to that program where they pay for your law degree, but I personally don't know your chances of getting it. The JAGs I know weren't top students but they were athletic and had cool law-enforcement-related backgrounds. And I think you can get tax money back for your WGU degree (I haven't done that yet but I'm applying it to this years taxes). So it's up to you.

I'm personally going to get another degree later. I don't see why you can't get other degrees later in your own time, and do whatever you want. But law isn't something you can do part time (unless you just don't get a JD and try the Kim Kardashian route). WGU you can do part time.

Mouselovr

Contributor
Hi all....Please and thank you for your advice.
1. No, they weigh your ASTB above all else. There were Ivy League grads who finished in 4 years and priors who busted ass at AMU for 6+ years to finish while in service.
2. Getting picked up to be a JAG (Navy lawyer) is hyper-competitive. They aren't going to simply put you there cause you have a JD. TBH if this did happen, it would be striking gold, ha.
3. Physics, basics of aerodynamics and some naval aviation history are the keys to the ASTB. As a music performance major, I can't imagine you built a base of any of those. If you're wanting to raise your GPA, might as well 2 birds, 1 stone it and learn the key concepts that will help you do well on the most important component of the ASTB.

Gustafel

3. You would be forgiven for thinking that. Long story short, I have at least a conceptual grasp of physics and aerodynamics, and it’s really the math and details where I’m weak. In the practice tests I’ve taken I’ve scored well generally on the aviation and nautical information, and with the science I usually have the right idea, it’s just the math that’s holding me back. Fortunately, a friend of mine is doing a doctorate in math at a university near me and has agreed to help me study.

2. That’s good to hear. I hate the idea of succeeding too hard.

1. I hear this a lot and I think I’m just taking the board cancellations too much to heart. Getting too nervous that the competition over the handful of remaining slots might get too tight for me to get picked up before I bust the age limit.

taxi1

pilot
Finally, and I hate to break it to you... WGU is a OK school at best. Should you want to set yourself up with civilian employment or another career... go to a brick and mortar school.
You can go to an on-line program of a brick and mortar school too. They’re strict about maintains their rep in the programs. Penn State’s world campus is solid, for example.

Gustafel

You can go to an on-line program of a brick and mortar school too. They’re strict about maintains their rep in the programs. Penn State’s world campus is solid, for example.
That’s an interesting idea. So those are usually considered credible on the same level as going in-person? Or I guess there’s no reason it would ever even come up, is there? The degree would just say “Penn State.”

Mouselovr

Contributor
That’s an interesting idea. So those are usually considered credible on the same level as going in-person? Or I guess there’s no reason it would ever even come up, is there? The degree would just say “Penn State.”
Yes. I’m doing an online grad degree rn. When I graduate, it won’t say online.

The greatest downside to online is the complete lack of networking, but if that isn’t your goal, it doesn’t matter

taxi1

pilot
What @Mouselovr said.

My son just got his Cybersecurity MS from Penn State. From Penn State's site...