• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need clarification on OCS medical physicals

wonderb0iwl

So you arrive at OCS and you do a medical exam. And then you do an exam with NAMI right after that. However, then you arrive in Pensacola, wait around for NIFE, THEN you do another exam with NAMI with another chance to potentially DQ? So you could wait around for a year to start flight school only to get DQd?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
So you arrive at OCS and you do a medical exam. And then you do an exam with NAMI right after that. However, then you arrive in Pensacola, wait around for NIFE, THEN you do another exam with NAMI with another chance to potentially DQ? So you could wait around for a year to start flight school only to get DQd?
Sort of. You show up to OCS, then you do a physical. Depending upon your designator, the breadth and depth of that physical will vary (full form flight physical, dive physical, nuke physical, etc.). While you are at OCS, you will receive an initial up-check from the appropriate medical board (NAMI, NUMI, etc.). If you are an aviator, you will then commission (or redesignate and then commission if you get DQ'ed), then travel to Pensacola and go through another full form flight physical and get your final up-check to start training (or redesignate if you get DQ'ed).

villo0692

Why are you so concerned about this, are you trying to hide some medical shit? If you pass your first flight physical you should be okay with further ones

wonderb0iwl

Why are you so concerned about this, are you trying to hide some medical shit? If you pass your first flight physical you should be okay with further ones
Why wouldn't I be concerned about this? It's my future and years of my life, I want to know what's going to be happening. It's just crazy that people can wait around for NIFE for a year just for another chance to get NAMI whammied. But yeah if they do it twice then the chances of getting DQd down the line seems very minimal.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Why wouldn't I be concerned about this? It's my future and years of my life, I want to know what's going to be happening. It's just crazy that people can wait around for NIFE for a year just for another chance to get NAMI whammied. But yeah if they do it twice then the chances of getting DQd down the line seems very minimal.
Here's the thing, you could get the NAMI Whammy™ at ANY time. Break your leg just right? Whammy! Develop night blindness? Whammy! Develop a heart arrhythmia? Whammy!

You need to decide whether you want to take a shot or not. I've seen guys get NPQed in the middle of prosperous careers for things completely outside of their control. Are you gonna take your shot even if it doesn't work out or are you gonna look back at your life at 80 years old and wish what could've been?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

Is driving a car somewhere risky? How many fatal accidents occur annually?

That still doesn’t scare or prevent me from using a vehicle everyday.

Get it?

wonderb0iwl

Here's the thing, you could get the NAMI Whammy™ at ANY time. Break your leg just right? Whammy! Develop night blindness? Whammy! Develop a heart arrhythmia? Whammy!

You need to decide whether you want to take a shot or not. I've seen guys get NPQed in the middle of prosperous careers for things completely outside of their control. Are you gonna take your shot even if it doesn't work out or are you gonna look back at your life at 80 years old and wish what could've been?
Damn that's a good point. But yes I'm definitely taking this chance, I've already decided because I will regret it if I don't.