• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need answers to Marine Pilot questions?

bradler

Good to hear some actually stayed in the cockpit. But it definately had me worrying about actual career progression and how much pilots actually flown. Like I was told right now pilots are being rotated as a training, fleet tour, b billet, training, tour (FAC or another MOS) and then maybe back in the cockpit. I was concerned with that because I enjoy flying and I want to be a Marine aviator. I had never wanted to be a ground officer or do forward ground mos's, not to hate on the ground guys.. I respect them just not for me. But I am still getting mixed answers.

Also from what I learned... "Fallen Angels" mean pilots that were dropped from training or active duty for any reason and had to revert to a ground MOS.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes flight students who did not become NAs or NFOs (atrite for whatever reason) are called fallen angels. Marines we lose in combat are reffered to as Angels on the radio during the process of returning them to their families.

DO NOT MAKE ANY DECISIONS ABOUT YOUR AIR CONTRACT AT OR DIRECTLY AFTER OCS! Take a look aroudn at TBS. There are other tread that discuss these issue for you to look at once you finish OCS. Bottomline an Aviator can go do Grunt stuff but a Grunt will never get to go do Aviator stuff.

phrogpilot73

Marines we lose in combat are reffered to as Angels on the radio during the process of returning them to their families.
Just to add to what skid said, it also applies to other services, not just Marines... US Servicemembers that are KIA are referred to as Angels. Don't want the Navy guys to get their panties in a bunch...

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Also what happens to Fallen Angels? Where do most go if they get dropped from flight training or get NPQ'd? Also I had heard that the flight training is ridiculously hard and if you are not on point you will be out before you even get your feet wet. I.E. The first day of flight training you have a test over the whole basic flight manuel?

If you're not 5'10" or less with better than 20/20, you'll never get jets either!!! Flight school ridiculously hard? Maybe for some but in general, what's the attiriton rate for all causes....I hear from StuCon at the wing it's around 12-15%......I wouldn't call that very high. Flight school might be hard for some and easy for others. IMO, you worry way to much about what you know little about. You should get good info here so you can worry about more important things, like getting laid.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only people I've ever heard use the term "Fallen Angels" (regarding attrites) are Marines. I've met 3 USMC guys at NPS who all referred to themselves as such.

bradler

I am 5'9" and have uncorrected 20/20... jets here I come... joking. But thanks for all the answers.. back to base now and hope to read more when we have libo next weekend.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
ok are you serious? its hard to detect sarcasm from text, but I am pretty sure you must be joking

Are you worried? Don't beleive everything you read on the net, especially what I "JOKINGLY" wrote. Educate yourself, learn, read, know better.