• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Advice: Phrog/Osprey types

tbat15

Phrog/Osprey types

I'm a SNA about to start Primary in a couple weeks. I'm seriously considering buying a house very soon in the PCola area. Right now I am leaning toward Ospreys, but if I get them in 6 or so months I dont really want to have to move out of the house my wife and I had just settled into. Do you think it would be a good a idea to try and select helo's and get 46's then transition to the Osprey down the road? This way my wife and I will be able to stay in the house for at least a year if not longer before renting it out. Do you guys think this might be trying to game the game too much?

DimndDave14

If I were you I would go for what you want to fly, not what is easiest for living arrangements. Because the turn around time of moving in then selling is very short. You will have maybe 3 months of relaxed hassle free time from unpacking, then repacking everything. Also you have to think about keeping the house clean all the time, yard mowed, all your laundry is picked up, all your study stuff is put away. You don’t want to have to deal with that and going through flight school. It will leave a lot of burden on your wife, because of how busy you will be. Just suck it up and buy a house when you get your duty station and you know you will be there a while. Just my two cents.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
If you want to fly Ospreys (no comment on that), then go fly Ospreys. Or at least, go work your ass off and put them down on your list. Trust me, the less you have to worry about while going through the program, the better. Even if you DO get MV-22s, you'll have to leave for Corpus and then come back to Whiting to complete advanced, thanks to the split syllabus.

This sounds suspiciously like the Mrs. 'has' to have a house with a white pickett fence, though. If that's the case, there are deeper issues than whether or not to buy a home. If that's the case, then what's going to happen if you're off studying/flying all the time, and she's the one left to clean and maintain the property?

The above post is right on target.

KBayDog

Let me throw this one your way:

What if you try to "game the game," as you put it, and you get HMM West/Oki? Or HMH? Or HMLA? Will you be happy that you got to live in your house for a few extra months, did not give your #1 choice at least a shot out of Primary, and have to hope for a shot at transitioning?

What if you put helos #1, and wind up in CC/Meridian/KRock? What will you do then?

What if you attrite?

Buying a house while your are in flight school is certainly your decision (I have my opinions on the subject, but the topic has been beaten to death on this forum - and I'm sure others will weigh in with their opinions, regardless of how dead this horse is), but, as stated above, you will be very, very busy in flight school. You will also a move a few times, either sooner or later (or both).

Here's my adivce: Give 100%, try to select the aircraft you want to fly, and don't worry if it means moving around a little at first. You will move a lot in the military, for sure, but you will also have opportunities to buy a house and "settle down" later on, even if you decide to buy a house now.

If you get your #1 choice, good on you.
If the Corps decides it needs you elsewhere, run with it.
No matter what, though, don't make a decision that will have very long-term effects (like aircraft, community, etc) based simply on what is convenient for a few months during flight school.

Azdevil78

gaijin6423 said:
If you want to fly Ospreys (no comment on that), then go fly Ospreys. Or at least, go work your ass off and put them down on your list. Trust me, the less you have to worry about while going through the program, the better. Even if you DO get MV-22s, you'll have to leave for Corpus and then come back to Whiting to complete advanced, thanks to the split syllabus.

This sounds suspiciously like the Mrs. 'has' to have a house with a white pickett fence, though. If that's the case, there are deeper issues than whether or not to buy a home. If that's the case, then what's going to happen if you're off studying/flying all the time, and she's the one left to clean and maintain the property?

The above post is right on target.

Well, this is the MRS.... Just wanted to get those suspicions out of your head, and say that if I wanted a house with a "white pickett fence" then I don't think this is the lifestyle I would have. I don't mean to fireback at you but I don't like when people have the wrong idea. My husband is just trying to get some advice because he really wants to buy a house and start investing yet he wants to enjoy the house for however much time he can. He also wants Osprey's so this is just something he thought of...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
You're not going to offend me, Mrs The Mrs. I just lay it all out there. Feel free to return fire! (The whiny ones usually reside over in the BDCP threads.)

For the record, I support compromise in the marital partnership. Case in point: Me. I just had the chance to go to Okinawa, which I was stoked about, but my future better half wasn't so keen. We talked it over, she expressed her concerns, I expressed mine, and I worked out something else with my monitor. I'm all for reaching middle ground, provided it's both actual middle ground (as opposed to just caving in) and doesn't completely crush someone's aspirations.

It's all well and good to aspire towards being more than merely financially stable and a homeowner, but the pipeline is demanding. It's more demanding on some (me) than others, but I promise you the process of NOT completing is much, much more painful than just waiting to buy a house.

nublett

Been there, done that.
You said you needed advice, right? Short version= Don't buy a house just now. Go Ospreys.

K

KillerSnakes

I don't know where you live now, have you considered housing at Whiting Pines? It's po-dunk Milton, but at least you wouldn't have the stress of buying and selling. Plus it's only 7 miles from Whiting Field, however my drive to API sucks.