• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need advice - Navy or Marine selection on NROTC application

rcaron913

My son is very interested in flying for the military. We've talked to recruiting officers from both the Marines and Navy. He needs to select one of these on his NROTC scholarship application. Any advice would help in the selection.

Thanks,
Bob

bob88899

Realize that Marines are ground officers first... meaning they will go to TBS after they commision thru NROTC.. which is a 6 month school. I believe the navy goes straight to api? something to consider depending on what he is interested in.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Realize that Marines are ground officers first... meaning they will go to TBS after they commision thru NROTC.. which is a 6 month school. I believe the navy goes straight to api? something to consider depending on what he is interested in.

IFS before API. Either way...If you have to ask...go Navy. hehehe

Really, though, try this post. Then talk it over. Good luck.

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
If you're unsure, then select Navy. Once you get to your program you'll have the opportunity to see what the Marines are all about. You can always switch while you're there. It may take some more paperwork, and you'll have to resubmit your scholarship stuff. But for the people who wanted to do (that I saw) it and did it, it worked out in the end.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
if you're unsure, then select navy. Once you get to your program you'll have the opportunity to see what the marines are all about. You can always switch while you're there. It may take some more paperwork, and you'll have to resubmit your scholarship stuff. But for the people who wanted to do (that i saw) it and did it, it worked out in the end.

+1

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
If you're unsure, then select Navy. Once you get to your program you'll have the opportunity to see what the Marines are all about. You can always switch while you're there. It may take some more paperwork, and you'll have to resubmit your scholarship stuff. But for the people who wanted to do (that I saw) it and did it, it worked out in the end.

Agreed, as this was me way back in the day. One thing that is good, is that as a scholarship MIDN, he will be sent to CORTRAMID (see below) over his first summer which will either harden his resolve to stay Navy or make him come to the dark side as it did for me.

From Wiki:
CORTRAMID is Career Orientation and Training for Midshipmen,an active duty summer program for NROTC Midshipmen after their first year. CORTRAMID West takes place at Naval Base San Diego with a Marine week at Camp Pendelton, submarine week at Naval Base Point Loma, and aviation week at NAS North Island and MCAS Miramar. CORTRAMID East occurs in Norfolk, Virginia with Marine week taking place in Camp Lejuene, and Submarine Week at Kings Bay, Georgia. This four week program allows 3rd class midshipmen to examine the four possible service selection options available to newly commissioned Navy and Marine Corps officers.

1. Surface Warfare
  2. Submarines
  3. Aviation
  4. Marines
In addition to the four main options—seminars may also be held on less frequented career paths such as SEALs, Explosive Ordinance Disposal (EOD), and Sea Bees (Civil Engineering).

FlyBoyd

Out to Pasture
pilot

a.k.a. "Marine Option" back in my day. I would recommend this route as well. Switching the other way (USMC->NAVY) didn't seem to happen much if at all.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I think that's because people never asked, not because it can't be done.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

This is a true statement.

JTB7

I chose the Marine Corps because if I cant get a pilot slot I would gladly go ground and hopefully get infantry.

If I wanted to be a Navy pilot I would probably go SWO if I couldn't be a pilot.( I dont want go SWO..hence I didnt choose Navy :p)

The USMC has more ground b-billets also, like being an FAC.