• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NECC/ SWCC/riverine

BigRed389

None
:)

One (count 'em one) of my friends did his dissociated tour with a MSRON about two or three years ago. I don't know the details of how he got there, if the billet was coded as a 1xxx, if PERS-41 and 43 made or horse trade, or if it was no big deal at all. Off the top of my head one of his peers at the job was a squared away LDO (prior enlisted MA) and others were various SWOs, so I got the idea he was bit of a fish out of water. I also think that him being there confused his first DH screen board because the detailer subsequently moved him to a more conventional nonflying billet before his second look.

FWIW.

Yeah, I can't speak for the MSRONs really, though I have heard secondhand of another aviator serving as an OPS, so maybe that's coded as a 13xx.

That said, going by the RIVRON AMD, the URL Billets are specifically for 1110 and 1140, and a 13xx obviously is very unlikely to fill a RL/LDO/WO billet. That plus the already small number of billets for officers...I wouldn't bet on it happening.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does the specialty career path work? Can aviators do riverine as a disassociated sea tour kind of thing? Seems like it would be a pretty sweet deal.

No.

I know...never say never in the Navy, but the billets don't exist.

:)

One (count 'em one) of my friends did his dissociated tour with a MSRON about two or three years ago. I don't know the details of how he got there, if the billet was coded as a 1xxx, if PERS-41 and 43 made or horse trade, or if it was no big deal at all. Off the top of my head one of his peers at the job was a squared away LDO (prior enlisted MA) and others were various SWOs, so I got the idea he was bit of a fish out of water. I also think that him being there confused his first DH screen board because the detailer subsequently moved him to a more conventional nonflying billet before his second look.

FWIW.

Never say never, I have run into several aviators working in Riverine realm or in NSW Support Activity assignments related to UAV ops. Most were Helo pilots although one was a Hornet pilot and the other a Super Hornet WSO. The other possibility is on NECC Staff or Center for Security Forces (CSF), which is the "Super RAG" for Riverine (among other things) under NPDC, but wires into NECC as a "dashed line".

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Never say never, I have run into several aviators working in Riverine realm ....
A NAVAIRTRACOM attrite or DOR used to be a nearly 'automatic' ticket to the brown-water Riverine Force during Vietnam ... is this still the case today ... ???

Or is it now more 'specialized' ... ???

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A NAVAIRTRACOM attrite or DOR used to be a nearly 'automatic' ticket to the brown-water Riverine Force during Vietnam ... is this still the case today ... ???

I honestly do not know as meetings were brief and it's usually not an icebreaker question.

BigRed389

None
Never say never, I have run into several aviators working in Riverine realm or in NSW Support Activity assignments related to UAV ops. Most were Helo pilots although one was a Hornet pilot and the other a Super Hornet WSO. The other possibility is on NECC Staff or Center for Security Forces (CSF), which is the "Super RAG" for Riverine (among other things) under NPDC, but wires into NECC as a "dashed line".

Rgr, was this back in the earlier days? The way the units were run were constantly (and are still) changing with the units being so new, and in the early days things were clearly done a bit more off the cuff (normal bureaucratic corners cut just to get the job done).
With the Iraq mission going away, things are likely to change even further still. There's been talk of sending us to do amphib deployments, having each RIVRON do area specialization, etc. Speculation and the rumor mill is working full overtime.

The CSF "dashed line" into NECC is that they run the "combat skills" courses for NECC, including the Riverine Pipeline. However, the Riverine courses (and in fact all other CSF courses I've done) are all run by contractors, with CSF just providing admin support.

BigRed389

None

Today? No, but I wouldn't call it 'specialized' either. Both designators that feed URL bodies into the Squadrons take them back for good after one tour.
Our one aviation attrite had to do a conventional SWO tour like everybody else.

On the enlisted side, sanity has prevailed, and work is being done on a Riverine rate.