• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy vs CG

motorhead

I want to fly helos for the Coast Guard or Navy. I’ve taken the test and started the application process for the Navy. I know they both offer the same awesome training so either way I’ll be good to go. I think I’d enjoy Coast Guard missions more, but from what I’ve read it seams like I’d be doing a lot more actual flying in the Navy. That coupled with the 11 year service commitment of the Coast Guard Blue 21 program has scared me away.

Can anyone shed some light?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
If that commitment scares you, I don't think the Navy's going to have any better of a deal. It's a similar term after you're winged.

navy09

None
The Navy commitment for pilots is 8 years AFTER you get winged. All told, I don't think that's much shorter.

EDIT: Could any helo pilots chime in with the average time it takes to get wings?

Brunes

pilot
You can expect roughly a year and a half to get to wings in a helo.
I'd say it all depends on what you mean by "actual flying"- I've seen some intense videos of CG helo pilots working rescues and drug interdictions.

Good luck with your decision either way.

Clux4

Banned
Or you could always go Army. Roughly a year in flight school with a ADSO of 6 years. You are looking at about 7.5 - 8 years depending on your commissioning source. Probably the shortest you will find, then tranfer to the Coast Guard if you still want to do that.

-just another way to skin the cat

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
it seams like I’d be doing a lot more actual flying in the Navy.

Care to elaborate on this statement?

Also, another thing to consider... In the Navy, there's a chance you may not get selected for helos. It's a small chance, but a reality. In the CG, you may also be drafted to fly fix-wing. Probably even a smaller chance, but I've seen it happen to guys who were gung-ho on flying CG helos but got nabbed by the FW selection that month/quarter/whatever. Just more info to be aware of.

sardaddy

pilot
The last time I compared flight time with my Navy Brethren, CG pilots flew quite a bit more. This was a couple of years ago so things may have changed so I will throw out our numbers.

CG helicopter pilots fly about 300 hours a year but that has actually increased this year so lets say about 325-350 a year. Fixed wing pilots fly more than that. Perhaps a Navy pilot will post their average hours and you can compare for yourself. We fly about 9 hours of sim a year. Other than that, it is "actual" flying.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I had about the same numbers during my first tour. It's probably gone down now a bit for the average first tour helo guy. Maybe 250 to 300-ish now, from what I saw of fleet guys coming back to the TRACOM.

MasterBates

I averaged about 180-200 a year flying 60Bs, but it was feast or famine due to FLM. I had 390 one year, and 85 the next. I'm probably on the low end of what helo guys were getting for flight time.

phrogpilot73

Or you could always go Army. Roughly a year in flight school with a ADSO of 6 years. You are looking at about 7.5 - 8 years depending on your commissioning source. Probably the shortest you will find, then tranfer to the Coast Guard if you still want to do that.

-just another way to skin the cat
Not exactly automatic. There is a board involved, and it's very popular...

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
In the CG, you may also be drafted to fly fix-wing.

Very true, in fact currently the CG is assigning flight school students to fly fixed wing that want helos which was the opposite from when I went through 9 years ago. Our fixed wing fleet is ramping up big time with our new MPA coming online and it's requiring a larger than normal fleet of fixed wing pilots.

motorhead

Thanks for all the info!

By "getting more actual flying time in the Navy" I mean more flight hours. I based that simply on the greater number of aircraft in the Navy and a few "day in life of a XXX Aviator" articles online.

I belive after flight school the Navy requires 6 years for rotary and big fixed wing and 8 years for jets.

Once you have been assigned fixed or rotary wing is it written in stone that you will fly that for the rest of your career?

navy09

None
Thanks for all the info!
I belive after flight school the Navy requires 6 years for rotary and big fixed wing and 8 years for jets.

Wrong. 6 years after wings for NFO. 8 yrs after wings for all pilots. So based on what Brunes said, that's a 9.5 yr commitment (assuming no hold ups during training).

Once you have been assigned fixed or rotary wing is it written in stone that you will fly that for the rest of your career?

Do a search. It's possible, though not at all common, to switch aircraft.