• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Stationed with the Coast Guard

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Won't say it's never ever happened, but I can't think of when or why it would.

On the other hand, a girl who was in my old squadron is now at the CG Group in San Fran doing some sort of intel/forcepro thing. She just wanted to go there because her hubby was going to grad school out there, and she dug around until she found a joint billet.

Brunes

pilot
I don't know of any "joint" billets for flying...We have a 60 variant that hasn't been seen in the Navy for a while and the Dolphin...so the time to train might be part of the reason. We don't have a great need to augment our pilot numbers either (at least not from what I have seen/heard- we are shy a few bodies...but not THAT many)

but like Kow said- LOTS of folks have moved on from the Navy and into the Coast Guard...at a cost of whatever their Navy rank was to LTJG in the CG.

CoastieFlyer

Box Lunch Connoisseur
pilot
I've never heard of any programs with the US Navy.

We do have exchange programs with the Canadian and British Royal Navy though on both fixed and rotary wing.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Has anyone ever heard of Navy Helo pilots getting duty at Coast Guard search and rescue stations?

Are you asking about a joint billet, or just being co-located? There are places a Navy helo guy could be co-located with Coasties (San Diego comes to mind), but joint billets, not so much.

Brunes

pilot
Are you asking about a joint billet, or just being co-located? There are places a Navy helo guy could be co-located with Coasties (San Diego comes to mind), but joint billets, not so much.

and in that same vain- There are times that Navy units "stand by" for CG units. I've heard of P-3's flying SAR coverage. and a helo unit out of Hawaii took over for CG Air Station Barber Point after a mishap last year.

I didn't think about it before- Why do you ask about joint tours??

sardaddy

pilot
No we don't do any exchange tours with other US services but we do have instructors at Pcola but that isn't what you are asking. As it was posted earlier, we do have some pilots from other countries flying with us though. British, Canadian, and a bunch of Australians.