• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

sickboy

pilot
The most recent CO of the BLUE RIDGE, Captain Paradise I believe was a former Enlisted SEAL and current Naval Aviator. It's possible, but EXTREMELY difficult and might even requiring some luck.

I think he was XO on GEORGE HW BUSH when I was there.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There was a guy that was either a class or two ahead of me or behind me at the HTs who was an enlisted SEAL, went SWO and earned his pin, and then got winged out of the HTs and went HSC. I want to say he wore his Trident on his flight suit until winged, but I may be making that up. Not sure what he did after getting his wings, but at that point in a regular uniform, but why not sport the Trident instead of the water-wings?

He was actually a very down-to-Earth guy and acted like just "one of the other studs" in the ready room. But talk about a journey.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes. Definitely a non traditional career path. But he flew a lot while he was still active duty.

I'm not really expecting or even asking you to respond, but it would be interesting to hear his story. I know they have some avenues at times (which makes perfect sense when you think about it), and I'm thinking this guy capitalized on those opportunities.

exNavyOffRec

Not to tell a recruiter his job, but your advice depends on the OP's desires. If he wants to be a seal above all else, I would NOT recommend applying for seal officer as you have one shot. Enlisted opportunities for seal are far greater. And my understanding is that becoming an officer as a seal is a lot easier than in other communities and in many cases the teams push a guy into OCS. The desire is that as an ENS, you basically start over and can be an "operator" again as opposed to a manager or instructor.

When it comes to SEAL it is difficult to figure the right path, yes there are many more opportunities to be a SEAL enlisted, but Officers have a higher pass rate, so take the greater number with 10% pass rate, or the lower number with 30% pass rate (those numbers are a few years old but I am guessing still in the ballpark).

The guys that really want to be a SEAL that have a degree will often go enlisted, and they have a decent shot if they do well to get picked up officer, more so than other communities.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When you say Pass Rate, do you mean BUDS completion? If so, I'm not surprised. I have a buddy that was attrited out of Hell Week as an O because he wasn't EXCEEDING the standard, even though he may have been meeting the minimum standard.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
There are several guys down here in Pensacola who rolled out of BUD/S and redesignated to aviation. They were Academy and ROTC types so the Navy had a good bit of money in them already but if you are picked up on a Seal O contract the Navy obviously sees great leadership potential in you so it wouldn't surprise me if that opportunity was available for OCS types as well.

exNavyOffRec

When you say Pass Rate, do you mean BUDS completion? If so, I'm not surprised. I have a buddy that was attrited out of Hell Week as an O because he wasn't EXCEEDING the standard, even though he may have been meeting the minimum standard.

Since I don't want to get the terms wrong it is from those that start, until getting their pin, not including the probationary period with the teams

exNavyOffRec

There are several guys down here in Pensacola who rolled out of BUD/S and redesignated to aviation. They were Academy and ROTC types so the Navy had a good bit of money in them already but if you are picked up on a Seal O contract the Navy obviously sees great leadership potential in you so it wouldn't surprise me if that opportunity was available for OCS types as well.

several that didn't make it through the SEAL pipeline that went through with the guy I put in were picked up EOD

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Another option to consider - though never becoming a SEAL - is to work with and alongside SEALs and other ground forces at some point after becoming a Naval aviator, like this Marine did:

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Another option to consider - though never becoming a SEAL - is to work with and alongside SEALs and other ground forces at some point after becoming a Naval aviator, like this Marine did:
I like jocko's podcast, but something seems a bit disingenuous about those profiteers of the "motivation" industry. Basically he just chants "get after it" as his solution to everything and charges a lot to go to a morning "muster".

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I like jocko's podcast, but something seems a bit disingenuous about those profiteers of the "motivation" industry. Basically he just chants "get after it" as his solution to everything and charges a lot to go to a morning "muster".
I concur, in part. Not recommending to buy Jocko's book or attend a seminar (or certainly not suggesting to buy his/his sidekick's vitamin supplements).

But the OP can listen to Dave Berke talk for 2 hrs and figure out if Dave Berke's career path is one the OP wants to try to emulate or not.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
On a recent airline trip I had the pleasure of flying with a Captain that was a retired MCPO and Navy Seal. Great guy and great pilot. He took full advantage of flight training opportunities that were unconventionally offered to him. It never ceases to amaze me what motivated people can accomplish in their lives and the crazy and unpredictable routes their hobbies and passions may take them career wise.
Yeah but he's not a Naval Aviator.

Yes. Definitely a non traditional career path. But he flew a lot while he was still active duty.
Yes he did, but without wings of gold.

And getting that requires even more hoops to jump through. I know two guys in that same program, retired MCPOs, flying for a major - they did some contract flying for us as well several years ago.

Again, the are SEALs, they are pilots, but they aren't Naval Aviators.