• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy SEAL Sell Outs?

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
At the core of this issue is the way the White house took a victory lap after the mission was successful. From the briefing room photo, to the meeting with the team by POTUS, to the various TV shows and the movie. Tactics and methods that were presumed, became validated for political gain. Nothing classified was compromised, but that line was pushed. Similar missions have been conducted for years without the fanfare and the White house has kept it's mouth shut in both Republican and Democratic administrations. This one is different..........and that's a shame.

And according to many reports, after the football was spiked, the intel was not used. It would have been better to keep OBL's death a secret, capitalize on the intel, and then release a statement months later.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At the core of this issue is the way the White house took a victory lap after the mission was successful. From the briefing room photo, to the meeting with the team by POTUS, to the various TV shows and the movie. Tactics and methods that were presumed, became validated for political gain. Nothing classified was compromised, but that line was pushed. Similar missions have been conducted for years without the fanfare and the White house has kept it's mouth shut in both Republican and Democratic administrations. This one is different..........and that's a shame.

Similar missions had been done and you are right in saying this one was drastically different but for a pretty obvious reason, it killed the most wanted man in the world who had eluded the most powerful country in the world for almost 10 years. Any administration of either party would have trumpeted the mission as loud as they could as soon as they could just like the current administration.

And according to many reports, after the football was spiked, the intel was not used. It would have been better to keep OBL's death a secret, capitalize on the intel, and then release a statement months later.

Not in the real world, this sort of secret would have leaked out almost immediately even if they had tried to keep it a secret. Aren't you forgetting that violated a sovereign country's territory in a very public fashion, you think the Pakistani's would have or even could have kept a lid on that? The raid was actually tweeted live! Who is to say Al Qaeda wouldn't have spoken up either? And I haven't seen anything that suggests the intel seized was not utilized, at least by anyone credible or who would know.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
^Exactly.

160th left the dick in on that one...hard to claim innocence after that.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Didn't really help that the snake eating ninja pilots wearing batman suits left half a tail boom of something-looking-stealthly in their backyard either.
Well, it doesn't take a Nightstalker, DEVGRU guy, or Navy Cross recipient to know that Rule #1 of warfare is "The best-laid plans of mice and men may be derailed by shit happening; learn to deal."

Lawman

None

Im calling BS on that rumor. Lots of stuff still being used with the group I was working for over there and that was almost a year later.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
^Exactly.

160th left the dick in on that one...hard to claim innocence after that.
I have a weird feeling that aircraft wasn't flying under the 160th banner. Maybe other units involved were (the 47s) but not something that experimental and not in conventional use, but that's beyond the topic of discussion.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Didn't really help that the snake eating ninja pilots wearing batman suits left half a tail boom of something-looking-stealthly in their backyard either.
True.

And of course now accounts are leaking that most of his account is exaggerated or wrong. So, for me, I'll stand back and let the powers that be sort this thing out.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
Im calling BS on that rumor. Lots of stuff still being used with the group I was working for over there and that was almost a year later.

I was referring to Stephen Haye's report:
“They haven’t done anything close to a full exploitation,” says Derek Harvey, a former senior intelligence analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency and ex-director of the Afghanistan-Pakistan Center of Excellence at U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM)."

http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/al-qaeda-wasn-t-run_804366.html?page=1

Lawman

None
I have a weird feeling that aircraft wasn't flying under the 160th banner. Maybe other units involved were (the 47s) but not something that experimental and not in conventional use, but that's beyond the topic of discussion.

The 117s out at Tonapah in the 80s would be a great example of how services can keep something completely under wraps even from most of themselves.

Having been briefed on some of the more obscure corners of USASOC's makeup, there are units within the Regiment (but not the standard 1-4 Bn's) that would own this tool. I dont know how the feeder for the pilots picked would work. Not gonna lie Id be in total Airplane geek out mode if I could crawl over the thing for a few hours.

Ralph

Sorry for the late response. When I say 16 years I meant that he knew 20 or nothing going in. That link echos what I was saying. Those guys see dollar signs and don't need retirement pay. I live in San Diego and fellow Seals are turning their back on those few. One guy said it was a team who killed Osama not one person.

A7Dave

pilot
This isn't news, he revealed himself a while back:

Gotta give Rob Riggle "props" (sorry, homie speak) for not wearing the SEAL Budweiser in that clip. Class act.

I feel bad for "The Shooter". Reminds me of the Iwo Jima flag raisers. Too much history and fame to handle.

Sundevil106150

I mean the SEAL guys are a bad ass group of guys that really go balls to the wall. The training just beats them down and when they get out of the teams they look like crap from all the abuse, lack of sleep, stress, and constant training they do. I applaud him for doing something as honorable as participating in the mission that killed Bin Laden, killing the guy himself, and just being a bad ass DEVGRU member in general. However, every guy who joins the SEALs becomes aware quickly that the teams are their lives. Divorce rate is over 90%, guys are either deployed or gone training 330 days out of the year, social life revolves around the SEALs, etc. In fact this increases even more so when a SEAL joins DEVGRU. I really do not feel bad for him since being a DEVGRU member and the seniority he had he could have EASILY transferred to be a BUDS instructor for the last 4 years, a sniper course instructor, or even a desk job. SEAL guys love their jobs with a passion but it is very hard to find one who has served a full 20. Yet 4 years away when he and plenty of options to ride out the 4 years easily just makes him seem like a whinny girl. Even gets worse when he complains about family life since joining DEVGRU or the SEALs in general you know you most likely give up that part of your life. Even Chris Kyle said in his book he was aware of the stress that the teams would cause on relationships and family. If you were the guy who killed Bin Laden you would want to tell the story so I do not understand the back lash with that. Chris Kyle, Brandon Webb, and Marcus L. made money off their books and two are movies. If he didn't bitch about how SEALs made things complicated with family life or about not getting benefits with 16 years of service I think there would be less back lash. Although personally I believe SEALs should get an early retirement just due to the physical abuse they endure on their body. Yet that is not the case.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
SEAL guys love their jobs with a passion but it is very hard to find one who has served a full 20. Yet 4 years away when he and plenty of options to ride out the 4 years easily just makes him seem like a whinny girl...Although personally I believe SEALs should get an early retirement just due to the physical abuse they endure on their body. Yet that is not the case.
Only something like 15-20% of servicemembers ever reach retirement to begin with. There are many servicemembers who endured similar punishment humping mountains and desert in OEF/OIF the last 10 years and they also must do 20 to get a pension. While it pales in comparison to the pension, there is disability retirement for those whose bodies become too worn down to continue to serve. Even those who make it to 20yrs can still collect disability and SS disability for their service related injuries.

There are drawbacks to the 20year cliff system we have that are worth discussing, but I don't think an exception should be made just for SEALs or other SOF communities.