• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Retaliation Against Flint Crusader's Family

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/29/health/whistleblower-complaint-us-navy-flint/index.html

Ran across this on CNN this morning. The article leaves a lot to be desired and reads like there are a lot of details left out about what exactly is going on here. I have a hard time believing that a sailor is being actively harassed by coworkers/superiors because his wife has decided to champion a more than worthwhile cause. Maybe I just have a rosier picture of how sailors treat each other based on my experiences on the west coast.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to hear the Paul Harvey on this - "The Rest of the Story" - because on it's face, this doesn't make much sense. While little would surprise me anymore, I find it difficult to believe that a petty officer is being actively harassed by his supervisors because of his family's political activism.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd like to hear the Paul Harvey on this - "The Rest of the Story" - because on it's face, this doesn't make much sense. While little would surprise me anymore, I find it difficult to believe that a petty officer is being actively harassed by his supervisors because of his family's political activism.

I am not sure many Chiefs in Norfolk would even know a lot about the Flint Water Crises, much less harass someone over it.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Seems like a really odd thing for anyone to "retaliate" against a sailor for. Is the expectation for military members to just shut up and take it when their kids get lead poisoning? According to the article, he doesn't appear to have violated the UCMJ, so what the fuck am I missing here?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
he doesn't appear to have violated the UCMJ, so what the fuck am I missing here?

Maybe that the attention to "Significant Other" (SO) has nothing to do with Flint and something to do with something more understandable within our Naval collective. I have a(n unsubstantiated) feeling that this has nothing to do with Flint.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Something doesn't smell right here. There is more to the story, for sure.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Completely speculation on my part, but I wonder if maybe the petty officer in question is bringing the activism into the office and that's what's causing the "harassment". Doing work for the cause on USG time, using .mil networks, that kind of thing? Or maybe just won't shut up about it while on duty and his supervisors felt it was disruptive.

When I was in Norfolk, I heard secondhand about a sailor who joined some strip mall snake handler church and began constantly proselytizing and pamphleteering around the squadron. Told to knock it off, he promptly wrote his congressman about the "religious persecution" he was facing from the Navy. That case was what came to mind when I read about this guy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or the dude was consistently asking for time off (not leave, time off) to go with his wife for this stuff, told no take leave like anyone else, continued to press the issue, people get pissed, make sure he continuously gets bad deals.