• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Navy Reservist Working With a SEAL Team?

pascol1

Last year, I saw a Navy reservist O-6 pilot who told me that he worked with a SEAL Team in Afghanistan. He said that if I keep asking/networking in the reserves, the possibilities are endless. Has anyone ever seen or heard of an 1105 working/deploying with a SEAL team?

pascol1

This is actually my last one. I am just trying to see what I have available because of my situation as an 1105. Sorry if it comes across as being a pest.

CAMike

None
Contributor
00.159% get SEAL Teams. More of less like asking what percent get jets.

1105's can do anything theoretically. ADM Tony Robbins publically shared that recently.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is actually my last one. I am just trying to see what I have available because of my situation as an 1105. Sorry if it comes across as being a pest.

No worries - but the honest answer is your opportunities will be very limited as an 1105. It's just that you need to get into a community and earn a pin. Worry less about gunslinging with SEALs or graduate school; first, get a designator you can do something with. Alternatively, look at transferring your commission into a Guard or Reserve of another service. You're still young enough that you can 'start over' in another house.

pascol1

Got it. A lot of people at my reserve center tell me that I will find my place here in the navy. Not exactly sure how to do that since all the community's managers made it seem that I can't make it into their clubs. They want experience that I have no idea how to attain at this point.
Some words of wisdom at this point were to hop on mobs, get kick ass fitreps, and NOBC's according to a recruiter.
Is it possible to get a warfare pin even though you don't have that designator?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Pardon the slight threadjack, but how exactly does one end up as an unqualified Reservist? All my experience dealing with Reservists is they came from AD with a warfare pin, were CWOs/LDOs, or had some special skillset that the Navy needed (JAG and Intel types).

azguy

None
Frankly, but I don't imagine any community is going to want a guy that spent 2 years on a ship and couldn't get a SWO pin. SWO non-attains are pretty rare, 1 in a 100 or so. I thank you for your service, but I think you should take this as a life lesson; you're still a young guy with plenty of opportunities elsewhere (outside of the Navy).

The reserves have a long and "proud" tradition of taking people who have failed on active duty and giving them a pension when they turn 62 but I fear this is still a long shot for you as you don't have a warfare pin.

pascol1

I understand and I appreciate your honesty. I just have people blowing smoke up my butt telling me to apply to a different community and telling me to stay in. I realize that I will probably have to jump ship and try out another branch of service at this point.

exNavyOffRec

I have known two officers that ended up in the reserves with no pin, I will explain what their path was, I have no idea if it is still possible to follow what they did though, one lateral transferred to Supply, and did a few IA's, one of the IA's may have been before the lateral transfer (can't remember), that officer is now an O-4 and hitting all the checklist for O-5. The other applied for CANREC and got it, the plan was to do recruiting for a few years, get a PHR and then try to lateral transfer to HR, not sure how that went since I left in the middle of the plan.

Not sure if either will work for you, maybe gives you some things to think about and questions to ask people.

pascol1

I will actually mobilize to go to HOA very soon. I will be doing some work that is related to intelligence. The hard part is getting the endorsements like the recruiter said. I will try to network and get some "sea daddies" as the recruiter strongly suggested.
I do look into the CANREC and I was selected to New Orleans, but I had to turn it down because I got accepted for the mob. I will apply for CANREC as the tour starts to wind down.
I am also thinking about doing back to back tours so I can get the experience as well.

SELRES_AMDO

Pardon the slight threadjack, but how exactly does one end up as an unqualified Reservist? All my experience dealing with Reservists is they came from AD with a warfare pin, were CWOs/LDOs, or had some special skillset that the Navy needed (JAG and Intel types).
There are a few flight attrites who end up as 1305's in the reserves. A few weren't re-designated on active for whatever reason (know one who got a DUI in flight school and came to the reserves). Some of them just didn't want to do anything but fly and asked the board to get out. Then the recruiter makes a phone call and offers them a 1305 job in the reserves so they take it.

Most non URL Officers in the reserves don't have a pin because of the nature of the reserves, so it's really not a big deal as long as you do your job and perform. His problem is he's not in a URL community yet and I'm unsure of what other skills he has to offer other communities.

I know guys who went from 1305 (general aviation aka flight school attrites) to Intel, AMDO, IW, etc... What they did was sell their civilian job skills as being relevant to the community they were trying to join.

Frankly, but I don't imagine any community is going to want a guy that spent 2 years on a ship and couldn't get a SWO pin. SWO non-attains are pretty rare, 1 in a 100 or so. I thank you for your service, but I think you should take this as a life lesson; you're still a young guy with plenty of opportunities elsewhere (outside of the Navy).

The reserves have a long and "proud" tradition of taking people who have failed on active duty and giving them a pension when they turn 62 but I fear this is still a long shot for you as you don't have a warfare pin.
He doesn't really need a warfare pin. What he needs to do is re-designate to something useful and start getting some FITREPS as well as getting his name out there in that community. The biggest hurdle I can see is that he is going to face some questions as to what he's been doing the past couple of years and what skills he brings to the table when he goes to apply for a new community.

Don't give up OP. It is possible, but you really need to start networking and selling yourself like crazy.

pascol1

I really do thank you for the motivation. It has been hard to muster up any after speaking to the community managers.
They were not kidding when they said they want the civilian experience. HR wants people who worked in the HR corporate world. Intel wants the FBI, CIA, DIA folks. Do you think I have time to network and get picked up for community and get promoted to lieutenant commander?