• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcnj

Does anyone know if a Navy Reserve F-18 or EA-6B squadron would entertain the idea of hiring a pilot with Air Force (A-10)background? I realize some Navy specific training is required. I know the C-9 units hire from other services. Any info much appreciated.

WFU2USN

dcnj,

Your best bet is to call your local Naval Reserve Officer Recruiter - they can give you the best info.!

Good luck!

Robin
IS2(SCW)

beau

hmmm? would you not have to go through jet training and get Carrier Qualed? it seems unlikely.......but I dont know for sure.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have never seen it and I flew in the reserves for years. We did have a former Army NG helo guy in one unit I was in. He wore gold wings but had never flown a Navy aircraft and we were a non flying unit. I believe the active EA6B community now has a "concrete" squadron that is land based only due to it having USAF crewmwmbers. This is becuase the Prowler is a national asset now and supports the AF as well. There is only one EA6B reserve squadron and they are CV qualed and I'm sure have no trouble getting navy guys. Don't forget the reserve C-130 squadrons. Only chance would be C-9 or C-130 unit. All the fuloughed airline pilots are probably providing all the crews they need now though. I

DustydogCSAR

Not sure, but I wouldn't be looking at doing many years in the reserves. Rumor has it Navy RES TACAIR's days are numbered. C-9 squadrons are probably untouchable since they actually perform something for the Navy.

-Ike

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It is true there is talk of axing TACAIR from the reserves. If they do it won't be because the reserves aren't willing or able to perform. CVWR-30 was actually underway when Iraq invaded Kuwait in '90. They were ready to go. Almost the entire airwing was embarked. CAG-30 offered to turn west and take on the job. They were sent home and many weeks later Big E left with her active duty airwing. Reserve Prowler crews have spent hundreds of days deployed and one of CVWR-20s Little Bug squadrons has been deployed with an active airwing for OIF. One of the reserve E-2 squadrons performs hundreds of missions in support of drug ops and now Nobel Eagle. If there is a problem it is that some of the aircraft in NR TACAIR is not compatable with the newer block aircraft in the active fleet. Makes for a logistic problem. That wouldn't be the reserves fault since they would be happy to fly the latest and greatest. That would be the active duty navy not wanting to share their toys or money. If there are reserve units that are not ready to go because of readiness then fire the leadership like in any active command. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I firmly believe that the Naval Reserve's problem is that our bosses are ultimately active duty and don't understand what the reserves can contribute or best how to use them. If the optempo is a b*tch and you haven't used your reserves to the fullest extent possible who's fault is that? The NR can not order itself to active duty. Sorry this is off the subject. Just had to vent.

contrail_dash

I've heard of the new "total force concept" where the Guard and Reserve units will all be tasked for various deployments and activations on a equal level or something along those lines. Some Air Nat guys we know have even been deployed than some active duty squadrons flying the exact same planes. So in a nutshell it seems that everyone is going to be counted uppon equally and much more. No longer are the days when one could fly Air Nat Guard and never leave his/her state.

off topic...sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.