• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Postgraduate School (NPS)

twidget

Deskaholic
Background: I'm a career Squid (13 years enlisted, 1.5 years IW Ensign). After doing all my undergrad work on Active Duty nights and weekends with 3 transfers and 2 kids along the way, I'm looking into NPS as a possible next tour. Yes, if the Navy's willing to pay me to go to school full-time, I'm going to take it.

As an IW, the only fields available are EE, Comp. Sci, and Info Warfare. I'm trying to get a spot in EE, but according to the detailer there are 8 people shooting for 5 spots right now (for '07). I've got the right academic background and grades (A's and B's in Calc and Physics) to qualify, so I guess it's all going to come down to performance and recommendations.

• Does anyone have experience applying for and/or attending NPS? If so, what does it take to get in?
  • What can I do to increase my chances? (i.e. besides performing well in my current job, killing the competition, and the other obvious stuff)
  • What is a tour at NPS like, especially for families in regards to local schools, spouse employment, housing, local activities, etc?
Thanks for any help you can provide. If I don't get selected for NPS, it's probably going to be an afloat PCS tour.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
twidget said:
Background: I'm a career Squid (13 years enlisted, 1.5 years IW Ensign). After doing all my undergrad work on Active Duty nights and weekends with 3 transfers and 2 kids along the way, I'm looking into NPS as a possible next tour. Yes, if the Navy's willing to pay me to go to school full-time, I'm going to take it.

As an IW, the only fields available are EE, Comp. Sci, and Info Warfare. I'm trying to get a spot in EE, but according to the detailer there are 8 people shooting for 5 spots right now (for '07). I've got the right academic background and grades (A's and B's in Calc and Physics) to qualify, so I guess it's all going to come down to performance and recommendations.

• Does anyone have experience applying for and/or attending NPS? If so, what does it take to get in?
  • What can I do to increase my chances? (i.e. besides performing well in my current job, killing the competition, and the other obvious stuff)
  • What is a tour at NPS like, especially for families in regards to local schools, spouse employment, housing, local activities, etc?
Thanks for any help you can provide. If I don't get selected for NPS, it's probably going to be an afloat PCS tour.

Post this question on Sailorbob.com

twidget

Deskaholic
Steve,

I'll give it a try, but it's your fault if it get slammed and booted for being an "RL Weenie" on a SWO only site. Since I know there are other IWs on Airwarriors and probably a few people who've been to NPS, I thought I'd try it here before I gave in to the dark-side.

Am I being set up? Are they just out of Ensigns to eat over there?:eek: :icon_wink

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
twidget said:
Steve,

I'll give it a try, but it's your fault if it get slammed and booted for being an "RL Weenie" on a SWO only site. Since I know there are other IWs on Airwarriors and probably a few people who've been to NPS, I thought I'd try it here before I gave in to the dark-side.

Am I being set up? Are they just out of Ensigns to eat over there?:eek: :icon_wink
No risk, no reward. You're career, your call.

twidget

Deskaholic
OK, that wasn't so bad. Even got a few good responses. :) If anyone's has any experience with NPS please share.

BTW, thanks Steve! Besides the good advice, I think I spent about 2 hours reading SWOisms and a couple of other threads today! Very funny stuff!
5. There are undiscovered tribes in the Amazon, untouched by civilization, that know more about Surface Warfare than you do.
75. Are you possessed by a retarded ghost?

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's a lot more guys over there who are in NPS right now or have been there already, than have posted to your question(s). When you find out if you are going there or not and when, don't be shy about picking these guys' brains for gouge on where to live, what to do, where to eat, etc, etc.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I'm not exactly sure how one would go about applying to NPS, since my route there was a tad different, but the area is awesome. A lot of guys I knew who were there with families loved it. Housing is expensive, most of the married dudes I knew lived in base housing, which wasn't too bad.

There's a shitload of stuff to do in the area. Big Sur is 15min down the road. Yosemite is a few hours west, and so is Tahoe. San Fran is 2hrs north. If you like the outdoors, it's a great area. Plus, the town is great.

VAmookie

did anyone notice that the guy's question about NPS was not answered. Nobody said a thing in regards to what its like, what theyre looking for, etc

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
did anyone notice that the guy's question about NPS was not answered. Nobody said a thing in regards to what its like, what theyre looking for, etc
Thanks for playing the "Question and Answer" cop. You'll note that in my answer I referred him to another place where he would most likely get the answers to the questions he's asking.

twidget

Deskaholic
No worries. Thanks for looking out CORPSviation, but I'm getting a pretty good response between PMs and SailorBob.com.

If I feel neglected I can 'bump' with the best of 'em.

VAmookie

the reason i say what i said is that this is a forum not just a private chat between you two. If somebody's got some info, they out to share it so everyone can gain some perspective

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
CORPSviation said:
If somebody's got some info, they out to share it so everyone can gain some perspective
And if they did, I am about 100% confident they would have posted it by now. People here are generally pretty helpful.

VAmookie

so i looked around on the NPS website. I found something that says

"NPS opportunities for Marine Corps Officers fall under two categories: 1) Special Education Program (SEP) and 2) RAO/FAO. SEP candidates should refer to MCO 1520.9G; RAO/FAO should refer to MCO 1520.11E. "

Can anyone explain this in detail? Anyone know anything about the SEP or RAO/FAO? thanks