• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny

I just got accepted into the Navy Pilot Program, but my recruiter is on an emergency leave so i have lots of questions. Does this mean I have a pilot training slot with my name on it once I complete OCS? Any added insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Doc

Have you gotten a Pro Recommendation or a Final Selection for SNA? There is a pretty big difference between the two and what they mean.

vinny

Please explain more to me. Assume I am stupid as I am new to ALL of this and the entire process.

All I have been told is that I was selected for "Navy Pilot" and that I need to pass a physical, security background check, and then I wait for an OCS class assignment. They said I have a slot, but I need more info....

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
Sounds like Pro Rec'd to me. What that means is that your app has to go to a selection board. There they decide if you get an aviation slot and an OCS date.

Doc

Here is a synopsis of the process:

The initial application, with recommendations and so forth, is submitted. This application goes before a board to determine if you meet minimal requirements as well as to be compared to all the other packages. This is the process which is referred to as Professional Recommendation. If you do not receive a Pro Rec then your package stops there.

If you receive a Pro Rec then your package comes back with this indication and you are then required to undergo a physical (if it has not yet been performed), pass a PT test, and pass the background check. This is referred to as FINDOC’s.

Once that is all completed your package with FINDOC’s goes back to the board to be considered for final selection. If you do not get a final selection then it will stop there and you will be informed of this. However, your package may be rolled over to the next board for further consideration. Apparently, this can happen a couple of times in some instances.

If you receive a final selection, then you will be informed as such and given a date to begin OCS. There is typically about a 6 to 9 month wait from the time of selection to your class-up date.

Once you receive a final selection, this is the point at which you are “guaranteed” your slot. Just realize that this is contingent upon your successful completion of OCS and you passing a more complete flight physical.

Hope this helps. Let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with. Also, if anyone sees anything out of place in my description of the process, please point it out. I certainly don’t want to be guilty of passing on bad information.

vinny

thanks for that info! Doc....they are setting up times for a physical and then what seems to be a basic fitness test.

can you talk to me about fighter availability for pilot training grads? My brother, USAFA grad, is about to go to pilot training and he was telling me that some of his friends already in pilot training are ****ting bricks because there are only 1 or 2 planes per class.

granted that is the AF, but how does the Navy compare on this aspect?

uncledave

Vinny,
Would you mind telling us some of your stats, such as your degree, GPA, previous flying experience, and ASTB scores? Thanks a bunch.

mlj0215

BTW...The "board" according to my recruiter, is an E-8 sitting around going through the apps....at least for Pilot. Then those are signed off by the Captain. Anyone else verify this?

Doc

vinny………generally speaking, there is certainly not a lack of planes to go around. However, your performance throughout training dictates to a degree what particular type of aircraft you will get. If you’re not familiar with naval aircraft types (i.e. strike fighters, fighter, etc.) I would recommend that you search this board for the aviation pipeline diagram that has been posted before. If you can find it, it will give you a better feel for what type of aircraft you might want to strive to get in. The bottom line is that there definitely is not a shortage of planes to go around but you have to go into it understanding that you might not get the exact aircraft that you want.

hbh8086

to further elaborate on the findoc process, my recruiter has told me that the only thing evaluated after the pro rec will be the physical, prt and epsq. but then again this whole process seems to be a big mystery.

hellodollies

Vinny,
to answer your question, yes there is a shortage of planes right now and a shortage of instructor pilots, I know this cause Im sitting in Corpus waiting to fly, dont listen to Doc he hasnt even gone through OCS yet, final selection is tight, 85% are going helos, jets just arent clearing up, it is also possible that in the next 6-8 months all SNA's not actively flying or in API will be discharged, just too many pilots right now.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Originally posted by hellodollies
Vinny,
... it is also possible that in the next 6-8 months all SNA's not actively flying or in API will be discharged, just too many pilots right now.

Please elaborate. Would this include BDCP people like myself?

vinny

yea i need a little more extrapolation on the discharge topic...

doesnt seem right that they would let in more guys than they can make use of. does your OCS performance have anything to do with this? what does the "waiting around" entail? have you seen kids actually get discharged after the 6-8 month period? or is it the word on the street?

contrail_dash

I can vouch for the "85% are going helos" comment. I have friends at Pensacola who have told me that almost all the guys are going rotary wing. One got lucky I guess, he got E3's (similar to AWACs) and is heading to Oklahoma to train on those.

just remember...needs of the service change.

Status
Not open for further replies.