• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or MC Aviation?

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
If you join the Navy, you're gonna look like this a month into deployment. Ever thought about the Air Force?

Charlize-Theron-Monster.jpg

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Another thing anyone should consider is "which branch do I want to be in if something goes wrong and I can't fly?" - you can get NAMI whammied, hurt at TBS, or hit at the flight physical at Navy OCS, the other NAMI whammy (The Marines do their flight physical before OCS, Navy does ours at OCS). So not only should you ask "Do I want to be a Marine and a pilot, or a Naval Officer and a pilot" but also "Would I rather be a Naval Officer or a Marine if I can't be a pilot?" - not the most important part of your decision making process, but something to keep in mind.

Jenlm

Another thing anyone should consider is "which branch do I want to be in if something goes wrong and I can't fly?" - you can get NAMI whammied, hurt at TBS, or hit at the flight physical at Navy OCS, the other NAMI whammy (The Marines do their flight physical before OCS, Navy does ours at OCS). So not only should you ask "Do I want to be a Marine and a pilot, or a Naval Officer and a pilot" but also "Would I rather be a Naval Officer or a Marine if I can't be a pilot?" - not the most important part of your decision making process, but something to keep in mind.
Very good point. Not sure what I would want to do if the pilot thing doesn't work out. What does the flight physical entail? What kind of things are disqualifying?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Very good point. Not sure what I would want to do if the pilot thing doesn't work out. What does the flight physical entail? What kind of things are disqualifying?

Lots of stuff and you'd be surprised. Dig around here a bit about it and you'll find plenty of information about the medical stuff and other things you'd end up doing.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
I am currently a graduate student finishing up my Master's degree in Chemistry. I've started the application process for Navy Aviation and I'm studying for the ASTB but I'm wondering what the major differences are between Navy and MC Aviation. I know the aircraft and types of missions are different but outside of those things what are the pros/cons of one branch over the other?
I was a Navy guy but here goes...

One thing that I noticed during flight training as a Navy student was the cohesiveness of the Marine Corps students...as well as the Marine Corps instructors. They were (are) a tight group...very fraternal. I was lucky to be accepted by the Marine Corps students and did quite a bit of PT and beer swilling with them. It was a REALLY good time...one Marine Corps student even set me up with his sister who was visiting him at NAS Whiting Field.

One more thing...luckily, many of my instructors in Primary, Intermediate and Advanced were Marines. I had a tough time in Primary...a REALLY tough time...I was on the verge of attrition...then I was paired with a certain Marine Corps instructor who got me squared away. He saved my ass...he was willing to work with me and he was patient...AND he was funny as HELL!

Don't get me wrong...we were pretty tight at the fleet squadron level in the Navy...especially on DET. But from what I experienced as a Navy flight student, the Marine Corps rocked.

Yardstick

Is The Bottle Ready?!
pilot
Or you could do what I did and basically have all the ass pain of being in the Air Force with none of the cool stuff, and at the same time, be a naval aviator in name only. In all seriousness, the Tacamo lifestyle isn't terrible and it's not the most well known community in naval aviation, so I can tell you more than you would ever want to know.

Tobe

I was wondering if it is possible/ethical to apply for sna and a marine aviation contract at the same time, and take the first one you're accepted to. I passed the astb with the marine corps ( oar: 47, 5, 9, 6) and I'm thinking about contacting a navy recruiter to do both processes simultaneously. Is this a wise move? Am I obligated to inform the two recruiters?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
I was wondering if it is possible/ethical to apply for sna and a marine aviation contract at the same time, and take the first one you're accepted to. I passed the astb with the marine corps ( oar: 47, 5, 9, 6) and I'm thinking about contacting a navy recruiter to do both processes simultaneously. Is this a wise move? Am I obligated to inform the two recruiters?

I applied AF and Navy at the same time. My recruiters were ok with it because both programs are competitive. And for the purposes of going through MEPS they will need to know so you only go once.

As for your ASTB score...never seen one skewed like that. I'll let someone else comment on whether that is competitive for the Navy or not.

exNavyOffRec

I never cared if a person dual processed, a good OR shouldn't either as if the person wants to serve find a way for him to serve. Is your 5 the AQR and the 9 PFAR?