• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Corporate?

Ace_Austin

pilot
Then call me crazy… cause classmates are getting 80k offers as 3rds right now, and I’m looking at a long car ride to P’Cola when I graduate.

My personal feeling is the Navy will pay me enough to support my family. (When the times comes for that of course.) If I have the privilege of being selected for SNA, there is no way in hell I would turn that down. If your making choices like this based on money alone, then I would say there was something wrong. We need civvies pilots of course; I am not trying to detract from what they do.

Regardless, no matter who you are, I'd say you'd have to be flat out insane to turn down a chance to give something back to your country in return for the freedoms everyone else who did step up gave you.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The answer lies within you. Do you want to work based solely on the money? If so, then go ahead and work in the private sector. But if you want to make something out of yourself, challenge yourself like you never imagined, then go with the Navy.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Let's not get TOO crazy and Boola-Boola, rah, rah for the Navy. The Navy's great. The Navy helped me grow up; it was a positive experience, it laid the groundwork for progressing into manhood and maturity. It gave me a lifetime career.

It is/was a GREAT experience ... 'da best, as I've already indicated. But at some time in your life --- $$$$$ (*GASP*:eek:) enters into the equation --- big time --- unless you are a Pollyanna or a fool. Why do you think Admirals like payday more than a Seaman Deuce ... ????? :)

One of the reasons I got "out" of active duty was $$$$$ and the future prospects for more --- and the "lifestyle" of an airline pilot. In the QOL arena -- it's better than being a Naval Officer, overall. And ... to be completely honest, Jimmy Carter and his Navy disgusted me. PLUS .... I still "served my country" in many ways and on many occasions while driving a 747 for fun and profit.

Things change in your life, priorities become rearranged and your long-term vision gets clearer (hopefully). I made > $250K :eek: per annum at the peak; not "rich" but comfy. I flew the big iron; the 18-wheelers. I crossed the Pacific in style with a permanent window seat up front possessed of an unsurpassed view. I had it "made in the shade" in many folks' eyes ......

But:

When asked "How do you like the 747...?"

I always answered: "Oh, it's definitely my second favorite all time airplane" . Any guesses as to which came in first ... ???
:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The Wright Flyer?

*sigh* I weep ....

kurtzweepcx2.jpg

Mav87

I'm in the same situation of deciding between a civilian and Naval flying career and some days I think of having an easy career flying for corporate or airlines but then I realize that i dont want to be flying standard rate turns so I dont spill the first class passangers champagne and reading the Times while it's on autopilot for most of the flight but rather flying on the deck at 400 knots. Even when I graduate college i'll only have around 400 hours and will need another 600 or so to even apply for an airline and I sure as hell dont want to be flight instructing in a crappy C-172 for a few years building time. Even if I didnt get jets, as long as it isnt a C-172 i'll be happy:)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm in the same situation of deciding between a civilian and Naval flying career ..... but then I realize that i dont want to be flying standard rate turns so I dont spill the first class passangers champagne and reading the Times while it's on autopilot .... but rather flying on the deck at 400 knots. ...
You guys have a disjointed view of flying in the airlines. It's not flying a fighter .... but:

I HAVE flown a 747 "like a fighter" ... :) .... at least > 45 < 60 AOB in the landing configuration @ 1000' AGL while bending it around for the other runway after a wave-off @ 200' 'cause I couldn't keep it on the runway due to a quartering tailwind ... the tower gave us the wrong runway based on hour old WX .... Typhoon in Guam, things like that....

I HAVE held it on the deck after T/O @ Ft. Reilly, KS (sp?) after bringing some troops back from Desert Storm ... :) ... @ 150' AGL while cleaning up and building speed to clear a CB "shelf" coming across the uncontrolled field. Got @ 250 KIAS and stood the big, now lightened 18-wheeler on it's tail and did a virtual wingover to clear the WX. My civilian trained and experienced Captain was .... "amazed". ;)

There's lots more that involved "flying" the airplane instead of standard rate turns and letting "George" do it ... lots of judgment and decision making that rivaled and sometimes surpasses that which I experienced in the Navy .... but I digress and I'm sure you're not impressed.

And as for reading "the Times" in my cockpit??? It didn't happen. I figured they pay us too much money for that .... I'd always tell my crew something to the effect of:

"... you can read if you want to, even though it's against company policy ... just don't miss anything or screw anything up .... 'cause then you have shown that you CANNOT fly and read at the same time .... "

And I'd lead by example. I didn't read in the cockpit.

Result?? 95% of the time ... no one read in my cockpit ... but it was purely a voluntary choice. :)

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Thanks for the wonderful insight A4. I really can understand where you’re coming from and I agree that there are the definite perks to both military and civilian aviation. I’m excited though, just got back from taking the ASTB in Houston…. Scores = 8/8/8/62. My physical is on Friday, hopefully it goes just as well.

KSUFLY

pilot
Ft. Reilly, KS (sp?) :)

It's actually only one "l" but oh well. Going in and out of Manhattan numerous times there was always the aircraft that called the one mile final and tower said, "not in sight." You knew they were at the wrong airport...Ft. Riley.

A4s...thanks for the story. You're absolutely right, civilian aviation doesn't HAVE to be boring. But be sure if you're going to have fun or what not...know what you're doing and don't kill yourself! My favorite is when headed to the VOR/IAF and center says you're #100 for the approach and you tell them that you don't need a procedure turn if that helps..."roger, you're number 1 cleared for the approach and contact tower." Have fun flying...cheers.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Lifetime choices, more often than not, involve choosing one alluring career door over another. But that unfortunately often results in slamming another inviting career door closed, shutting it forever.

Fortunately ours - Naval Aviation - is a flexible, and non-binary, career. A wealth of choices and experiences await all qualified, regardless of our initial choice, within the service, or beyond later as a civilian.

As a Naval Aviator, one can certainly have and enjoy the extremely rare and highly selective life of representing and defending our world-leading country. You will be guaranteed flying the finest (at least for the most part :) ) aviating machinery our great American engineers can conceive, design and develop; and the best money can buy. You will be working with a highly select few, like-minded, dedicated, fit, sharp, and talented fellow aviators. It is highly unlikely you will ever work with a greater, more talented, superior and tight-knit unit in your lifetime. You will be having multiple, concurrent and outrageous experiences, worthy of 20 lifetimes, unlike few others could ever dream in 580 lifetimes.

Being a corporate pilot is nice, but it is a far different kettle of fish.

The beauty of being a Naval Aviator is that you can do it all. . . You can do all the best flying in the world, with the greatest bunch of guys (and I guess, ah women now too? :) ) period! Then, later you can decide whether to continue on with your select military career, or change to a civilian flying career – corporate, airline, or many others too. Having options is always nice, and they are all good. With the greatest flying and experiences behind you, you can then easily and confidently choose the best course for your future.

I personally chose the airlines after 10 years of active duty, but remained active in the Reserves flying F-14's for another outrageously enjoyable decade.

Some of my friends happily chose to continue active-duty Navy, and are, or have retired at the very highest levels of our naval service, and they certainly and obviously have no regrets! Others transitioned to other careers far earlier, and are happy and successful. But they too still, after all these years - and like us all - fixate on, love, and never cease to talk about their extraordinary few years as Naval Aviators.

The bottom line is this: When you are young, you can make many mistakes, and greatly recover.

But going Naval Aviation is never a mistake! And if you pass early on, unlike other career paths, you cannot change your mind later.

Take it, if you can!

My pilot daughter, who currently works here and is doing very well as a Citation Captain, with little interest in the airlines; still she now second guesses her earlier choice to not go Naval Aviation, against my recommendations :( . . . because of her unwarranted concern for the seemingly many years of "commitment" after training, if it wasn't going to be her career.

She, as many of us have learned in our lives . . . the "greener grass" is never what it seems, nor so, the imagined obstacles.

There is one caveat though: Even if you have the prerequisites and talent, if you don't truly have the motivation, please don't bother.
Do not take the space of another who truly wants it.

So, as Yogi Bero said: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it!" And best of luck.

McCPilot

SNA Final Select
Hey guys... wanted to let yall know I've passed up the Falcon 900ex job to pursue Naval Aviation. Thanks for slapping me around a little, I needed it. I can just tell this is the right thing to do and I'm never going to look back! I'll keep yall posted on my application process. My package goes into the May 15th selection board so I'm hoping to hear something soon. Looks like they're hurting for SNAs for the last Pcola OCS class which means I'll most likely be going June 30th if I get Pro-rec'd this time around. Anyone else headed to Pcola June 30th???