• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS Program Authorization Updates

RhodesReese

New PAs for several communities have dropped. See link below

Big ones I noticed are for the IWC regarding active duty personnel applying:

1820 (IP)- Time in Service Restriction: Enlisted personnel of the regular Navy or Navy Reserve (active and inactive) or enlisted personnel of other armed service must have no more than 72 months ( 6 years) of qualifying service. Waivers may be granted for up to, but not to exceed, 120 months ( 10 years) of qualifying service.

1830 ( Intel)- Time in service restriction: Enlisted personnel of the regular Navy or Navy Reserve (active and inactive) or enlisted personnel of other armed service must have no more than 120 (10 years) months of qualifying service at time of the Officer Candidate School (OCS) board. Waivers may be granted up to, but not to exceed, 144 months ( 12 years) of qualifying service.

Creeping_Geep

The path for enlisted IWC Sailors to pursue a commission is rapidly narrowing. The Navy will eventually self-correct but it's unfortunate to be caught on this half of the pendulum swing. If you have Sailors that are interested in pursuing commissioning programs I recommend advising them about the potential consequences for waiting longer than necessary to apply.

exNavyOffRec

The path for enlisted IWC Sailors to pursue a commission is rapidly narrowing. The Navy will eventually self-correct but it's unfortunate to be caught on this half of the pendulum swing. If you have Sailors that are interested in pursuing commissioning programs I recommend advising them about the potential consequences for waiting longer than necessary to apply.
The old idea was if one door closed another opened as in if you were too old for OCS you could go for LDO or CWO, they should make sure those options continue.

RhodesReese

The old idea was if one door closed another opened as in if you were too old for OCS you could go for LDO or CWO, they should make sure those options continue.
I wish that were still the case. Updated LDO CWO guidance shows that no IWC designators have LDO options anymore. Seems like us enlisted are being pushed heavily into the Warrant route. Issue with that is in the IWC the warrants are mis managed. They are treated as fillers for the shitty jobs that JOs don’t fill. Not for their technical expertise. Hense why I never wanted to be a WO.

This just pushes leaders to identify talented enlisted personnel early and push them to commissioning programs sooner rather than later.

exNavyOffRec

I wish that were still the case. Updated LDO CWO guidance shows that no IWC designators have LDO options anymore. Seems like us enlisted are being pushed heavily into the Warrant route. Issue with that is in the IWC the warrants are mis managed. They are treated as fillers for the shitty jobs that JOs don’t fill. Not for their technical expertise. Hense why I never wanted to be a WO.

This just pushes leaders to identify talented enlisted personnel early and push them to commissioning programs sooner rather than later.
That is unfortunate, we didn't treat CWO's like that on the nuke side they were treated well and often feared due to their grumpy looks and age lol, I briefly worked with the most senior CWO4 in the USN, when CWO5 came out he was in the first batch.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
The issue with limiting TIS comes down to community management.

Anyone who joins with 10+ years of prior service is retirement eligible with 10 years of commissioned service (not taking into account specific obligations such as education, bonuses, navy training, etc.). That is a huge risk and it's been shown many of these prior enlisted members end up doing so. I get many of you... once commissioned are wanting to serve another 15-20+ years as an officer, however things may change in the next several years and many end up dropping retirement papers once eligible.

All communities value prior enlisted officers, no doubt about that. The issue comes down to maintaining a healthy community pyramid and when prior enlisted officers end up retiring once retirement eligible... it really does hurt control grade inventories at the O-3 and O-4 levels (outside of normal attrition). Limited inventory can trickle up to limited inventory of O-5s and O-6s as well as those who want to command at the O-5 level.

Communities want officers that can primed to serve XO/CO / O-5 billets.

Creeping_Geep

I would be fascinated to see the statistics for prior enlisted who achieve O-5 IWC command vs. the attrites that get poured into our community. I wonder if it's releasable under FOIA?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I would be fascinated to see the statistics for prior enlisted who achieve O-5 IWC command vs. the attrites that get poured into our community. I wonder if it's releasable under FOIA?

The issue is getting prior enlisted officers to continue past 20 years who already have 10 years of commissioned service.

Creeping_Geep

I wish that were still the case. Updated LDO CWO guidance shows that no IWC designators have LDO options anymore. Seems like us enlisted are being pushed heavily into the Warrant route. Issue with that is in the IWC the warrants are mis managed. They are treated as fillers for the shitty jobs that JOs don’t fill.
Remember that time we were told our community's leadership was "personally committed to maximizing CW accession opportunities" in the same message that they announced the only commissioning opportunity for CTs between 6 and 14 years TIS was being closed? And when that "additional information" never came? ?

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1652717752685.jpg
    FB_IMG_1652717752685.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 11