• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS-First Salute

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The skipper at OCS has done away with first salutes, just FYI. People weren't obeying the one dollar rule or whatever and there was some issue with the government gift giving policy.

Wow, someone reads the rules a little too literally.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Wow, someone reads the rules a little too literally.
The funny thing is, if one reads the rules even more literally than the skipper, you actually can gift a $1 coin that contains precious metals worth more than $1 as a gift to government personnel. All U.S. currency in circulation is strictly the value printed on the currency — not the metals value. So a $1 silver dollar is actually worth only $1 legally, because it’s illegal to melt the coin down to obtain the ~$16/oz. in silver content. Same way a penny is worth only $0.01 even though its copper content is worth $0.02-0.04 in metals value. You can’t go into a 7-11 and demand to buy a $1 Pepsi with 50 pennies just because copper prices are higher now. If you deposited a $1 silver eagle in your bank account, your account would go up by $1, not its street value/collector value.

Last edited:

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
The skipper at OCS has done away with first salutes, just FYI. People weren't obeying the one dollar rule or whatever and there was some issue with the government gift giving policy.

Anyone who looks at the gif-giving regulation will realize how ridiculous that is. The skipper can't require the new ENSs to give them, but he doesn't have to stop them.

You don't even have to make Hair Warrior's $1 argument if the coin is less than $20 as a one-time only thing per person. But, but... CYA! :rolleyes:

HeartofTexas

Contributor
Dumb question, does anyone know if first salutes are done to your instructors or if a relative/chief can be present for it?

Meyerkord

pilot
Dumb question, does anyone know if first salutes are done to your instructors or if a relative/chief can be present for it?
When I was there, some people did it with instructors, some people had military family in attendance so they did it with them. Others didn't do it at all. It's not a requirement and it's a pretty informal thing at/after the graduation.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I was there, some people did it with instructors, some people had military family in attendance so they did it with them. Others didn't do it at all. It's not a requirement and it's a pretty informal thing at/after the graduation.
Not done at all? Pretty informal? That's a bummer. Another tradition eroded. As I recall it all started when someone took offence at the actual dollar thing. DIs enriching themselves. Back in the day the DI stood outside the chapel, where commissioning took place, and met every new ensign as they exited. If a friend or family member was to get the first salute he stood next to the DI. After the first salute the DI saluted, shook hands and wished good luck or shared some brief pleasant comment.

Meyerkord

pilot
Not done at all? Pretty informal? That's a bummer. Another tradition eroded. As I recall it all started when someone took offence at the actual dollar thing. DIs enriching themselves. Back in the day the DI stood outside the chapel, where commissioning took place, and met every new ensign as they exited. If a friend or family member was to get the first salute he stood next to the DI. After the first salute the DI saluted, shook hands and wished good luck or shared some brief pleasant comment.
A bummer indeed. These days, we pose for the group picture as an entire class and then people split up and go meet with their families/friends. If someone wants to do a first salute, they seek out the person and usually do it in front of the flags off to the side.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
My brother is an AF O-5 and I was wondering if they allow for others to administer the oath of office? If not, is it done in a large group ceremony?

When I was there that was allowed, as long as you put in the leg and paper work to get it coordinated. Your official swearing in will be with the chosen whoever but you'll still go through the ceremony and swear to whoever does it for the class at large.

KaleDaSquid

AW Deity and aspiring Aviator
Contributor
When I was there that was allowed, as long as you put in the leg and paper work to get it coordinated. Your official swearing in will be with the chosen whoever but you'll still go through the ceremony and swear to whoever does it for the class at large.

Thank you so much! My OR was not totally sure. Said that was handled at OCS. I am coming onto the final months before class and want to have everything prepared.

Dontcallmegump

pilot
Thank you so much! My OR was not totally sure. Said that was handled at OCS. I am coming onto the final months before class and want to have everything prepared.

Kinda goes without saying lately, but due to covid stuff OTCN may not allow visitors for graduations and then your situation would be a no go. However things are starting to change in places about that. Your best bet is to reach out to someone there (your OR should have or be able to get contact for that) and ask what the current reality is and that may even change before you get there and then again in your few months "stay".

Good luck

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've said this before and I'll say it again:
When you buy your Silver Eagle $1 coin as a gift to your first salutee....buy an extra one for yourself....you'll thank me later. I'm still kicking myself for not buying an extra one as a personal keepsake.

Mouselovr

Contributor
In case anyone wanted updated information on all this.

1. You can do a “private commissioning” where a family member or prior service does your oath of office before graduation.

2. You cannot give $1 silver coins or any type of gifts to your chiefs/DIs for the first salutes. First salutes are still a thing at OCS. If it’s a first salute with family/ prior, you can do whatever you want.

Last edited: