• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS-First Salute

Boomer91

From what I understand at OCS, your class DI and Chief Petty Officer give you your first salute at graduation. I was prior enlisted and have several enlisted members who I served on several deployments with that I would like to attend. I was wondering if you are able to include additional members on your first salute, or is it restricted to your DI and Chief. Any experience and knowledge from OCS regarding this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
As a general rule of thumb, guys tend to reserve the honor for the class DI and CPO that trained them. I've seen guys have others do it as well if it was a family member or someone close. The "first salute" I think becomes more of a series of first salutes in the first few minutes of Ensignland.

Either way, you better have no less than 10 honest to god silver dollars to hand out to all of them! Don't cheap out!

Tom

pilot
Contributor
I have never seen anyone add on people to the first salute. I think it would look silly. Just wait until after. At OCS there is a new policy saying the class DI and CPO are not allowed to accept coins with a value over 1 dollar. Oh all the new changes of Newport.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I have never seen anyone add on people to the first salute. I think it would look silly. Just wait until after. At OCS there is a new policy saying the class DI and CPO are not allowed to accept coins with a value over 1 dollar. Oh all the new changes of Newport.

Are F'ing you kidding me? That's the stupidest thing I've heard (in about 2 days). Are we TRYING to become as lame as the USAF? Have the traditions of AOCS really been lost in the move? Are they raising warriors or bureaucrats?

One of our DI's had an old cigar box that his grand father had carried personal stuff in, on Iwo Jima. He had it full of everySILVER dollar he'd ever recieved from his OCS grads (over 400 of them) and said he would be buried with them. That's how much they mean to those guys.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
At OCS there is a new policy saying the class DI and CPO are not allowed to accept coins with a value over 1 dollar. Oh all the new changes of Newport.

What Single Seat Said!! That is Bullshit!! I have to say that a few of my AOCS class in '79 gave Eisenhower dollars, but everyone knew those guys were lame. The two women in my class gave the DI Susan B Anthony dollars just for fun. That was the first year for women in AOCS and the first female candidates for my DI. By far, silver was the way to go. After I got selected I went right out and bought one. It motivated me through training and that last semester of school. You guys should just vote with your wallets. Hand out real silver dollars. The DI or CPO will never really know which one of you they came from, and who is going to check the DI's pockets when he gets back to the office? I'd like to see an entire class go silver in spite of this rule. What are they going to do to an entire class of new ensigns? They shave your heads at OCS (or do they not do that in OCS now too), not your balls. Give the guy silver.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Either way, you better have no less than 10 honest to god silver dollars to hand out to all of them! Don't cheap out!
Don't you think that spending $250-300 on first salute coins is a bit...much?

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It might not be for him. We don't know how much of a part these people have played in his life and career. I can imagine a guy from the fleet having a former CPO or even peer that truly had more influence on his career then a DI that was assigned to him by chance and was fulfilling his duties as assigned.

red_ryder

None

Face value of one dollar. Note that if you go to a bank to trade in most silver dollars, they will give you...one dollar. Think about that. Legal tender.;)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None

Not in the least. There are some things you don't cheap out on. Squadron admins, booze, bar tabs, and a SILVER fucking dollar for your DI and CPO.

I gave one to a few other member of the staff at OCS, and reserved one for the first no kidding blue shirted sailor that saluted me.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
I second that interpretation. It sounds to me like any dollar coin is within regs.

You can either stand with tradition, or be remembered as that cheap bastard that obviously placed no worth on the effort that was placed into your commissioning by those that trained you. You're going to be that cheap skate that stays on the boat in port when the rest of the ready room drops a grand a piece having a blast.

McBuff

Sees the light
PS is this the sliver dollar you guys are talking about? I don't want to be the douche that gives the wrong coin.

Morgan_dollar.jpg

McBuff

Sees the light
You can either stand with tradition, or be remembered as that cheap bastard that obviously placed no worth on the effort that was placed into your commissioning by those that trained you. You're going to be that cheap skate that stays on the boat in port when the rest of the ready room drops a grand a piece having a blast.

Oh without a doubt. I was just saying that this new rule allows a new ensign to present a Silver dollar worth $5000 if he or she chooses, so long as the face value of the coin is $1, thats my interpretation.