• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NAVY OCS and ADD medication

surf2day2

What is the Navy's policy dealing with ADD medication? If i were to get accepted into the OCS program could I still take my medication while I was at school and stop before I went to OCS? Is this rule strictly enforced? Any and all insight for this is greatly appreciated..

GreenLantern330

I've been looking around for the whole ADD/ADHD question concerning joining. There are several threads about it that you can find if you put it in the search. The general consensus I've been getting is if you disclose that you are being treated or have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD then you need to get off your medicine for 1 year and then be re-evaluated by your physician saying you no longer have ADD/ADHD. Others are saying just stop taking the medicine and don't tell them you were ever on it. Bottom line is though, you won't be able to take that medicine at OCS. ADD/ADHD is considered disqualifying. You'd need a waiver.

znibbor

I'm currently in the process of getting all of the information necessary to get to MEPS regarding my ADHD and treatment which ceased in very early 2006. It has been a pain in the butt, but I figure it's better to be DQ'd now than to lie and get busted for something stupid later. I would recommend being upfront. If it's in your medical record then there's always a chance that something can come to light.

The waiver process requires you to be free from medication for 12 months and to show successful academic progress (through transcripts). This can hold you up, but what means more...getting to OCS as soon as possible or being discharged for fraudulent enlistment later?

Shakeszilla

I had the same issue. I took ADD meds for a period a year ago and my recruiter insisted that I wait until a full year had passed since I last took it until I could apply, and that I go see the psychiastrist that prescribed the meds to me and have him reevaluate me. He ended up writing a letter giving me a clean bill of health so to speak saying that the meds were not necessary for me to function and that he didn't envision me having any problems being off them, and my recruiter included the letter in my application.

GreenLantern330

How'd that go for you shakes? I'm about to start that entire process and am curious if it's still possible to get selected or not even with a waiver.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I had the same issue. I took ADD meds for a period a year ago and my recruiter insisted that I wait until a full year had passed since I last took it until I could apply, and that I go see the psychiastrist that prescribed the meds to me and have him reevaluate me. He ended up writing a letter giving me a clean bill of health so to speak saying that the meds were not necessary for me to function and that he didn't envision me having any problems being off them, and my recruiter included the letter in my application.

Your recruiter did the right thing and so did the doc. Good luck.

znibbor is right too....gotta do the right thing.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've been commissioned for 6.5 years with a waiver for childhood ADD with previous medication use. It was virtually painless, and I'm still on flight status. Don't lie.

GreenLantern330

I've been commissioned for 6.5 years with a waiver for childhood ADD with previous medication use. It was virtually painless, and I'm still on flight status. Don't lie.

Thanks for sharing this; it really helps ease my concerns about being able to join with an ADD treated medical history. When did you stop taking the medicine though? I've been told it might be easier to get the waiver if you stop taking it at 12.

a_question

Thanks for sharing this; it really helps ease my concerns about being able to join with an ADD treated medical history. When did you stop taking the medicine though? I've been told it might be easier to get the waiver if you stop taking it at 12.

So I was on them from 19 to 22, got a doctor's note, went to MEPS last week, told them that ADHD (and two other diagnoses) were bullshit, the doc agreed, I've had an great GPA without them. They didn't request a waiver and said I was ok, nor did anyone have to look at my records (other than the civilian psychologist who wrote the letter).

My question now is this: will this crap come up again during flight physicals prior to/at OCS should I be accepted? Might there be another waiver in my future, or is it over and done with since I made it through MEPS?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
So I was on them from 19 to 22, got a doctor's note, went to MEPS last week, told them that ADHD (and two other diagnoses) were bullshit, the doc agreed, I've had an great GPA without them. They didn't request a waiver and said I was ok, nor did anyone have to look at my records (other than the civilian psychologist who wrote the letter).

My question now is this: will this crap come up again during flight physicals prior to/at OCS should I be accepted? Might there be another waiver in my future, or is it over and done with since I made it through MEPS?

MEPS physicals and NAMI style flight physicals are very different animals. One is gauging how well you meet the basic requirements for military entrance, the other for entrance into flight school. I would definitely plan on this being an issue again, that way you'll be ready for it.

a_question

MEPS physicals and NAMI style flight physicals are very different animals. One is gauging how well you meet the basic requirements for military entrance, the other for entrance into flight school. I would definitely plan on this being an issue again, that way you'll be ready for it.

What can I do to be ready for it? As I said previously, I've been off the meds for three years (3.9 GPA, earned master's degree), and have a note from a doc giving me a good bill of mental health. What else should I expect?

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
What can I do to be ready for it? As I said previously, I've been off the meds for three years (3.9 GPA, earned master's degree), and have a note from a doc giving me a good bill of mental health. What else should I expect?
You should find both the NAMI requirements and the waiver guide for SNAs, and know the rules verbatim wrt ADHD and the meds you took. You need to be ready to show in writing where you are either A) good to go, B) eligible for a waiver or C) (the not good one) NPQ.

Here is the thing, people without any history of illness have problems with NAMI. They show up, get through a physical in which they perceive that they had no problems only to find out some strange issue that may or may not happen and get declared NPQ. That is what it is called the NAMI Whammy.

I don't know where you can find the NAMI physical requirements or the waiver guide- I would suggest the NAMI/NOMI website.

No one cares more about your situation than you do. Remember that. Do your prep work and know what you need before you show up. Don't expect that someone else will know better than you do. Ask questions.

BDfan88

You should find both the NAMI requirements and the waiver guide for SNAs, and know the rules verbatim wrt ADHD and the meds you took. You need to be ready to show in writing where you are either A) good to go, B) eligible for a waiver or C) (the not good one) NPQ.

Here is the thing, people without any history of illness have problems with NAMI. They show up, get through a physical in which they perceive that they had no problems only to find out some strange issue that may or may not happen and get declared NPQ. That is what it is called the NAMI Whammy.

I don't know where you can find the NAMI physical requirements or the waiver guide- I would suggest the NAMI/NOMI website.

No one cares more about your situation than you do. Remember that. Do your prep work and know what you need before you show up. Don't expect that someone else will know better than you do. Ask questions.
Can you explain more about the "strange issues"?