• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS after disenrollment from Air Force ROTC?

What is the likelihood of getting picked up for Navy OCS with a prior disenrollment from AFROTC? I was kicked out for an integrity violation. Great cadet prior to that; this was my first offense of any kind. I certainly made a mistake but I have learned from it and still want to pursue my dream of becoming an officer. On that note, does anyone have any experience with similar situations? Is this something I am required to disclose? I can't find anything about it in the various OCS application forms/regs that I found online.

mb1685

I'm a former AFROTC cadet but I left voluntarily (and one of my LORs will be from the former COC of my detachment), so I'm not sure exactly how to approach your situation. However, I believe the OCS application paperwork has a section that asks if you were ever enrolled in any commissioning program for any branch of the armed forces and will require you to explain why/how you left, plus they're going to see AFROTC classes on your transcripts, so you're going to have to be forthcoming no matter what. I'd imagine your best bet would be getting someone from your cadre to vouch for you (by trying to persuasively explain that it was a rarity, lapse in judgement, etc.) by writing a LOR that addresses the issue, if they're willing to.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
What is the likelihood of getting picked up for Navy OCS with a prior disenrollment from AFROTC? I was kicked out for an integrity violation. Great cadet prior to that; this was my first offense of any kind. I certainly made a mistake but I have learned from it and still want to pursue my dream of becoming an officer. On that note, does anyone have any experience with similar situations? Is this something I am required to disclose? I can't find anything about it in the various OCS application forms/regs that I found online.

It's possible, but you're going to need to explain in your motivational statement what the offense was/why you got kicked, what you learned from it, and how it made you to the well-manned person that you are today. Your application won't be as negatively impacted as say getting a DUI, but the board will notice it. Best bet is to discuss everything with your recruiter.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
I was formerly a PLC-er (Marine Corps. version of ROTC), and left the program to pursue the Navy route. I had a letter signed by the battalion CO at OCS that I had successfully completed my first round of training (OCS is split into 2x 6 week courses that you take with a year in between) and remained in good standing with the Corps. I explained my reasoning for making the transition in my moto statement, and got the Pro-Rec Y two weeks ago for my first choice. The integrity violation may be a different beast though, as we had a few guys get disenrolled at OCS for various integrity stuff and they were told very publicly that they would never serve in the military as an officer of any branch. That could be the SI's getting all hot and bothered, but it will definitely be a hurdle. Good luck.

My former detachment commander supported me throughout the disenrollment process and recommended that I be retained in the program, but HQ AFROTC overruled him and gave me the boot. I could potentially get a LOR from him, which would probably be helpful.

DDE1990

INFORMATION DOMINATOR WARRIOR OR W/E
My former detachment commander supported me throughout the disenrollment process and recommended that I be retained in the program, but HQ AFROTC overruled him and gave me the boot. I could potentially get a LOR from him, which would probably be helpful.

I would imagine that would be the best possible thing for you to have in this situation. Someone with knowledge of the situation that isn't you giving you a recommendation.

exNavyOffRec

That might help, to be honest the chance you have getting in will also depend on what you want to do, some boards like aviation will overlook minor issues for people that have good scores as they have more billets to fill, others like Intel have very few spots so they will look for reasons to push people aside.

I spoke to my recruiter about this issue and he says it is a non-issue. I was planning to make this (lessons learned, etc) a central part of my motivational statement, but my recruiter is confused why I would want to draw attention to it. I'm certainly not trying to hide it, and I just assumed that the board would be very interested in that aspect of my application. Is it better to confront the issue head-on, or do as my recruiter recommends and not draw attention to it? According to my recruiter, there is no additional paperwork/waivers needed in this situation, even though I do have DD 785 disenrollment and DD 256 discharge papers from AFROTC. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

You will have to put down prior military service as you rec'd compensation while a member of the AFROTC, that will lead to you need paperwork showing how you were discharged which will require an explanation at a minimum.

HawaiiIDC

PRO-REC Y IP 1820
It's possible, but you're going to need to explain in your motivational statement what the offense was/why you got kicked, what you learned from it, and how it made you to the well-manned person that you are today. Your application won't be as negatively impacted as say getting a DUI, but the board will notice it. Best bet is to discuss everything with your recruiter.
RUFiO181, I am also applying for OCS, but as a fleet applicant and will disclose that I was charged with a DUI in 2002 but it was dismissed. I do not have any reference to this in my motivational statement because of the dismissal. Should I reconsider? Thanks.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
RUFiO181, I am also applying for OCS, but as a fleet applicant and will disclose that I was charged with a DUI in 2002 but it was dismissed. I do not have any reference to this in my motivational statement because of the dismissal. Should I reconsider? Thanks.

Yes, mention the DUI. It doesn't matter if it was dismissed or 13 years ago, the board probably wants to know anyway.