• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Notifying University of Scholarship Award?

georgiaboy

Hi, I am just curious if the Navy notifies the university that the scholarship is for to tell them that they are awarding the recipient an NROTC scholarship? I understand the NROTC website specifically states that receiving the scholarship to a school does NOT in any way guarantee admission, but personally I see that as more of a disclaimer. How exactly does it work? Does the Navy notify the university that you are being awarded the scholarship? And if they do, does that increase your chances at the university if the college sees that the Navy is putting out approximately $180,000 to send you to that specific college? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for your time.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I preface this with the fact that I've never been an NROTC instructor so I'm not 100% sure on this, but here goes.

I don't believe the Navy does anything more that notify the unit at the school you requested. IIRC I had to list my top four or five choices of school that had NROTC units. It was up to the individual to get accepted to the school. If you didn't get into the schools you listed on your application, but some how managed to get an NROTC scholarship, you would probably be SOL.

I would imagine NROTC units may have some influence with admissions office when they dangle that full ride scholarship money in front of them but that's pure speculation.

Zazzarito

Cadet
Well, I contacted the admission's office after I received my NROTC scholarship. The school said that it doesn't actually have any influence in the admission's process, however as she said, "if you meet the requirements for the NROTC scholarship, I see no reason why you wouldn't get accept." So normally if you can actually get a NROTC scholarship, then you should be fine for getting into the school you want (unless you're talking Harvard or something like that)

georgiaboy

Thanks for both responses! Although, I am speaking about the Harvard/MIT unit (I want to go to Harvard) or the Yale unit. Do you believe that it still sort of applies that if I get awarded the scholarship to that school, then getting admitted is probably gonna happen too? Thanks so much.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The navy's requirements for ROTC and individual school requirements aren't matched. One has zip to do with the other.

exNavyOffRec

Make sure you have a backup school that is essentially a guaranteed admission, a sailor in my division was picked up STA-21 but was only admitted to the state school where he was from, the others were better than average schools and all turned him down.

Zazzarito

Cadet
Thanks for both responses! Although, I am speaking about the Harvard/MIT unit (I want to go to Harvard) or the Yale unit. Do you believe that it still sort of applies that if I get awarded the scholarship to that school, then getting admitted is probably gonna happen too? Thanks so much.

Not necessarily, it all depends on the school. My scholarship is to Jacksonville University and according to their admission's office, meeting scholarship requirements pretty much are higher than university requirements so yes. But it all depends on the school. If you're talking about Havard, they're focusing a ton on academics, not as much on athletics while NROTC is looking for the well rounded. I stood no chance in getting into Havard, or even UF for that matter, but I still got a NROTC scholarship. It just all depends on what the school itself is looking for in a person, mine just so happened to be similar to NROTC.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
One thing to consider is that some schools put together good finacial aid packages for NROTC scholarship folks that cover room and board.
Make sure you ask if the school offers financial aid to ROTC students!

gparks1989

pilot
Contributor
FWIW, my unit gives out a bunch of scholarships to Rice U. students, but none/few get admitted by the school...so there is a disconnect