• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Navy leadership neuters Hornet/Rhino Ball

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
https://theaviationist.com/?p=45286

"
Indeed, according to multiple sources, the U.S. Navy was not too happy when the VFA-31 Tomcatters release their 2017 OIR cruise video that included footage of the aerial engagement between an F/A-18E Super Hornet belonging to the VFA-87 “Golden Warriors” and a Syrian Su-22 (that ended with the Fitter being shot down by an AIM-120 AMRAAM missile near Raqqa, Syria), filmed with an ATFLIR pod.

In order to prevent some sensitive footage from leaking to the public, the Navy has probably decided to put the kibosh on all footage taken on theater…"

Read more at https://theaviationist.com/2017/10/...probably-not-by-accident/#d90lIMOvSY7RdYQh.99

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
I know I'm still just some lousy civilian - and a hypocrite in so far as I love watching footage of US hardware at work - but it's always appalled me how much we share with the world about how our hardware operates and how it's operated. Yes, I'm aware/sure that there is far more that goes on behind the scenes than meets the eye, but with peer and near-peer adversaries still out there, wouldn't it be more to our advantage to shroud the armed forces in mystery?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
There was no footage of anything combat or explodey in this year's West coast ball video. Traditionally, that's one of the coolest parts of the video. Policy change? I haven't been able to confirm thus far...

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know I'm still just some lousy civilian - and a hypocrite in so far as I love watching footage of US hardware at work - but it's always appalled me how much we share with the world about how our hardware operates and how it's operated. Yes, I'm aware/sure that there is far more that goes on behind the scenes than meets the eye, but with peer and near-peer adversaries still out there, wouldn't it be more to our advantage to shroud the armed forces in mystery?
There's a difference between "wow, that looks cool" and "here are the TTPs we use, with enough granularity to understand how they work." One is unclass, the other is not. There's a difference between watching a football player break off a 70-yard touchdown run, and doing that while being able to describe in detail the blocking scheme, receiver routes, snap count, possible audibles, and the holes in the defense it was designed to exploit.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The potential disclosure of TTPs wasn't really the problem with the video. There were allegations of it being out of synch with theater strategic messaging themes. How those claims came to be (and by whom) - someone else closer to the issue can comment on that if they'd like.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/admiral-warns-navy-of-speaking-freely/index.html

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
Going to venture a guess and say that the bit about going after pro-regime forces and showing tanks being struck might have had something to do with it. If I'm not mistaken, the particular WSV of the Su-22 shootdown here was already publicly released.