• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

GOUGE Navy IRR Muster 2018

reservist22

I was at the IRR muster in Norfolk Sep 8/9. Someone asked about the reduction in correspondence courses and NRTC courses going to NEL behind a CAC firewall. PERS-93 said that correspondence courses will eventually be going away. They didn’t specify when exactly. Recruiters were there too and definitely need people, they said the Navy is increasing both AC and RC.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
You could have gone VTU :) I feel like I am getting more done now than I ever was as a SELRES and without the worry.
Nope. Was tired of the bullshit.. And Millington VTU was very top heavy and those ain’t the kind of folks I wanted to spend my weekends with.. I was more like an 0-3 & 1/2 than an 0-4.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
What do you do and get out of VTU that you didn't in SELRES?
What do I do
I do whatever I want. VTU == Free Agency. So long as you maintain your "readiness requirements" you are left to your own devices. To help out the NOSC, I've been sitting on a lot of ADSEP boards, which are actually quite interesting and meaningful experiences. The NOSC really appreciates the help because in many cases, officers from other units are "conflicted out" of participating in these boards, and other officers are just plain lazy in assisting the NOSC. On any given drill weekend we have numerous officers, but my CO and I are usually the two who are first to volunteer for the boards.

I'm also prepping an Additional Duty (ADDU) and "compelling needs" (so I can stay "read in") letters to provide ad hoc support to a specific niche area at the local COCOM. You can also go on ADT, ADSW, etc.

What do I get out of VTU that I didn't in SELRES
In the VTU you have no more annual two week Annual Training (AT) requirement. Even still, so long as you drill once a month you will earn enough points for a "qualifying year."

You also do not have to worry about MOB'ing.

Caveat Emptor
Promotions. If you are planning on retiring as an O3, then you can ignore this and transfer over whenever you want. If you have a decent shot at O4, then I would seriously wait to transfer to the VTU until:
  1. After your last FITREP from your SELRES unit before the O4 board. This will ensure that you look to the board like you are still SELRES. This would be your FEB FITREP as the O4 board meets on or about APR of each year.
  2. After the board convenes. This sill ensure that your OSR still shows your "Present Duty Station" as your SELRES unit. During boards, records are copied over to an air-gapped system for the board. Asst Recorders are the ones who hand jamb stuff sent to the board into this air gapped system.
The point of these is to ensure that when the board convenes, that you look like a SELRES.

You also could wait until after the results are out as if you do not select the first time, you'll need to go through the board process again the following year.

D

Deleted member 67144 scul

What do I do
I do whatever I want. VTU == Free Agency. So long as you maintain your "readiness requirements" you are left to your own devices. To help out the NOSC, I've been sitting on a lot of ADSEP boards, which are actually quite interesting and meaningful experiences. The NOSC really appreciates the help because in many cases, officers from other units are "conflicted out" of participating in these boards, and other officers are just plain lazy in assisting the NOSC. On any given drill weekend we have numerous officers, but my CO and I are usually the two who are first to volunteer for the boards.

I'm also prepping an Additional Duty (ADDU) and "compelling needs" (so I can stay "read in") letters to provide ad hoc support to a specific niche area at the local COCOM. You can also go on ADT, ADSW, etc.

What do I get out of VTU that I didn't in SELRES
In the VTU you have no more annual two week Annual Training (AT) requirement. Even still, so long as you drill once a month you will earn enough points for a "qualifying year."

You also do not have to worry about MOB'ing.

Caveat Emptor
Promotions. If you are planning on retiring as an O3, then you can ignore this and transfer over whenever you want. If you have a decent shot at O4, then I would seriously wait to transfer to the VTU until:
  1. After your last FITREP from your SELRES unit before the O4 board. This will ensure that you look to the board like you are still SELRES. This would be your FEB FITREP as the O4 board meets on or about APR of each year.
  2. After the board convenes. This sill ensure that your OSR still shows your "Present Duty Station" as your SELRES unit. During boards, records are copied over to an air-gapped system for the board. Asst Recorders are the ones who hand jamb stuff sent to the board into this air gapped system.
The point of these is to ensure that when the board convenes, that you look like a SELRES.

You also could wait until after the results are out as if you do not select the first time, you'll need to go through the board process again the following year.

Thanks a lot. I really appreciate your detailed comments. If/when I get to that point, I'll consider it. But I feel the only reason I'd move into IRR/VTU down the line is if 1) everything I was told about the Navy was a lie and I didn't do any research (obviously not the case) or 2) I have a future misses who plays the long con and hoodwinks me claiming she'd be supportive of a USNR officer career with potential MOBs on the side but then pulls a U-turn following marriage.