• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy helo community....what's the latest news?

jpmizzou

pilot
I'm coming up on the end of advance here at south whiting and have started putting some serious thought into my selection. I've talked a few instructor's ears off about their respective communities. It has given me a lot of good insight, but a lot of them have admitted that they are few years removed from their communities and aren't completely up to speed on the most recent changes and news.
How exactly is the "helo master plan" unfolding currently? I've read some very interesting articles in the latest Rotor Review, which sheds some light onto some of the current changes that are undergoing in the communities. I'm just curious what guys in the fleet and/or those of a higher pay grade than mine involved in the current changes also see in the future. I believe the first HSM squadron is standing up this year as well as the first HS transition to the Sierra. Is that all still on track? What about the "armed helo"? I saw an article recently that developmental testing was complete, but when will that capability be integrated into the FRS training syllabus and the fleet squadron?
In addition, I've seen news that the navy is standing up a riverine force again and talking of a "Naval Combat Battalion," is there any word of developing specific helo requirements to support these brown water units? I'm having dreams of the re-establishment of HAL-3 and HAL-5 :) . Or instead, possible dets from both the HSC and HSM expeditionary squadrons? What about helo integration with the new LCS?
Well I know it's a lot to ask, but any foresight or discussion would be great. Needless to say it is a good time to be starting out the Navy helo community.

hscs

pilot
The vestiges of HAL-3/5 are still around -- just renamed -- The mission was turned over to HCS-4/5. Both squadrons are renamed (HSC-84/85) -- HSC-84 still has the mission. Jury is still out on whether or not HSC-85 will return to the mission with its transition to the -60S. -84 is not supporting the riverine guys -- The Army will do that until the Navy figures out what it wants to do.

Operational testing was done on armed helo -- but I think they are a bit behind schedule. My guess is that the transition for the HS squadrons will slide to the right slightly.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are they still taking 1st tour guys at 84/85? I remember they were as I saw some JGs over there, but I dont know if that was a long term plan.

MasterBates

A couple of the JGs you saw there (probably LTs now) were drafted from HSL-42 within a couple months of checkin. From what I have seen, they draft what few 1st tour guys they need from the Fleet Sqadrons after they finish the RAG.

Pags

N/A
pilot
West Coast HSC will be getting armed helos, the Block 3 Sierras sometime soon, if they haven't already. I haven't seen a status report in a few months, so I don't know what the latest and greatest it. The west coast RAG should be the first squadron to get them. East coast HSC is supposed to send out an OAMCM det using Block 2s on the innauguaral cruise of the first LCS, but that date has slide right a few times.

hscs

pilot
The JGs were a one time thing to help with an overmanning/undermanning issue. Don't expect to go to HSC-84 on your first tour.

Red_

None
I thought HC-85 ditched their H-3s for Sierras and absorbed HCS-5 to become HSC-85.

That's what happened, just like HS-75 will eventually join go up to Norfolk and join HCS-4.

Concerning the original issue - I worked in CHWR for 8 years and during that time I only worked with 2 LTs. And even then, they made LCDR shortly thereafter. Everyone else was already LCDR or higher. But who knows what will happen with CHWR decomming in May. (Read: officers typically do not go to these squadrons on their first tour.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's what happened, just like HS-75 will eventually join go up to Norfolk and join HCS-4.

Concerning the original issue - I worked in CHWR for 8 years and during that time I only worked with 2 LTs. And even then, they made LCDR shortly thereafter. Everyone else was already LCDR or higher. But who knows what will happen with CHWR decomming in May.

Apples and oranges here, people. People who "make rank" in -84/-85 are part of the reserve forces (TAR/Reservists). As hscs said, the few JGs were to help w/ the post Ivan/overmanning glut of helo studs.

It was my understanding that -75 already went away. Rotorhead or hscs, can you confirm?

And now we've managed to completely jack a helo selection thread w/ reserve mumbo jumbo.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
West Coast HSC will be getting armed helos, the Block 3 Sierras sometime soon, if they haven't already. I haven't seen a status report in a few months, so I don't know what the latest and greatest it. The west coast RAG should be the first squadron to get them. East coast HSC is supposed to send out an OAMCM det using Block 2s on the innauguaral cruise of the first LCS, but that date has slide right a few times.

We have the first Block 3 in the hangar right now. They flew it in last week. Rumor is that HSC-25 will be doing the first armed helo det in November.

Back to the topic at hand, I can't speak for anyone else, but I am really glad I went HSC. As I watch my buddies in HS and HSL and listen to the way those communities work, I just like the HSC lifestyle/attitude (although HS wouldn't bee too bad). Any specific questions?