• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Federal vs. First Navy Bank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paullatina

Would someone please advise which one has more of a presence, both on bases and abroad? Are there advantages of one vs the other? Any insight would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
Every base I have been to has had a Navy Fed somewhere on it or close to it. That was a big factor in my decision. Bank of America is a good one too. I can't say the same for First Navy Bank. Up until I hit P-Cola I had never heard of it. Maybe some of the others prefer it, but I have been real pleased with Navy Fed.

jdfairman

PHROGS 4EVER
I've only been charged for using an ATM when the machine I was using wasn't a NavyFed ATM. I thought all banks did that these days. You say GMAC got you a 0% auto loan?

orthaj

Navy Fed is the way to go when you find yourself in Japan. I don't know about anywhere else though.

Fatboy

pilot
Navy was allways good to me for good loan rates even when I was an E4. They gave me awesome rates on my Harley. However, thier fees for ATM use sucks ass. It keeps going up too. I stoped using them for a checking account becuase of that. You won't allways find a navy fed location next to you so you might as well use USAA. Allways get money back from ATM charges, they send you free deposit envelopes so its not too big of a deal banking by mail, especially since you don't generally deposit too many checks because of direct depost. They also have good financial planning.

quickandsure

Lad, you got some bad scoop. NavyFed does not charge to use ATM's, either theirs or others, ever. If you use the ATM belonging to another bank, that bank will charge you a fee. In addition, the PLUS network charges you a dollar. But NavyFederal, nothing, ever.

On-line banking is free. If you choose WebBillPay, there is a charge of about $5 per month. I think few have need for that because for free you have Internet access to your Navy Federal account, make withdrawals, move money between accounts, make third party transactions, and have Navy Federal pay bills submitted by electronic means, all for free.

One size does not fit all. Bought my son a car earlier this year and had the option of (a) 0% financing or (b) $3,800 cash back. I took the cash back, including a military discount, financed the remaining $30,000 through Navy Federal at 2.9%. Now the cost of financing (total cost) for the three years will be $1,390. Saved $2,410. Do the number before you buy.

Not pushing Navy Federal but USAA cannot touch them for service. Having said that, USAA has best automobile insurance, anywhere. Never seen a USAA ATM, never saw an USAA Office on an Navy base. Might have missed something.

Have been a Navy Federal member for over 40 years, bought several houses they financed, last month purchased a CD paying 4.34%, have an IRA, and the afore mentioned car financing from them.

Navy Federal has offices at most all Naval Installations (Corps as well), worldwide.

Their toll free number is: 1 800 914 9494

Get facts. Be informed.

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
Go with USAA, you cant beat their car insurance, free online banking, rebates on ATM fees, and loans. Also Bank of America sucks ass. I dropped them like a bad habit. Their customer service sucks ass, and they will screw you any way they can, like holding checks that you mailed in for deposit for a long time, etc. I had several problems with them as did many of my friends. We have all since switched to USAA and have no complaints.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have been with Navy Federal since 1986 and have no complaints. Navy Fed has some advantages and disadvantages, yes but all banks do as well. TheChief is correct, USAA is a great institution for insuance but it is not a CREDIT UNION so they cannot be as competitive in the Banking arena as any Credit Union. Do your homework and make a smart decision!
ea6bflyr
icon_smile.gif

Elder

US Coast Guard C-130 Demonstration Team
I have...

USAA for my insurance needs only.

Bank of America for unlimited bill pay. BoA will cut a check to ANYONE I want them to. Just takes 2 seconds to set up a payee. When you pay the bill, the money is taken out of your account within 2 business days. No monthly fees if you have direct deposit and only a checking account. I do think they charge a fee if you have a Savings account under their minimum balance. So, I don't have a savings account with them. You do have to pay for checks. And if you don't use a BoA ATM, BoA charges you $2, and the ATM will charge you whatever.

I used to use Navy Federal Credit Union for my TAD travel claim deposits only. To keep them seperate from my main account so my wife doesn't see the money and think "OOOH SPENDING TIME!". Now, I just have my rent going into there so I can cut a check from that account. Once a year they have a great interest rate for transferred balances. I think like 5.9%. The rate is good until the transferred balance is paid in full. I didn't use theirs though. Navy Federal is a good bank, though. Service centers and ATMs just about everywhere the Navy is.

Langley Federal Credit Union in Virginia is decent too. I DID get a credit card through them and transferred some higher interest rate balances to their 5.9% card.

Honolulu Federal Employees Federal Credit Union (shew!) was GREAT when I lived in Hawaii. They ALWAYS had the lowest intrest rates.. and actually, still have very low rates. Down side is, if you want to finance a car, you have to live in Hawaii. However, I did get a good bill consolidation loan from them while living in the lower 48.

Think I'm also a member of Sea West Federal Credit union in the San Francisco Bay area. They always had helped me out when in a pinch. I remember I called up once, told them I might have to pay for repairs on a car I had financed through them. She said, "Hold on". And litterally was back on the phone within 30 seconds and asked how much. I told her $500 she said no problem, check is in the mail today. I don't think they're that liberal anymore.

I leave my credit union accounts open if they have a balance just to keep their free $1000 accidental life insurance open. :p May only be $5 in the account, but hey, why not.

Only reason I stick with BoA is for the completely free online banking. I hate writing checks, licking envelopes and buying stamps.

Key is to do just that.. shop around.

Status
Not open for further replies.