• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Federal, and Credit Card Checks.

MasterBates

Okay, without this devolving into a divorce thread:

On April 26 my divorce decree was signed. I got stuck with my ex's Navy Fed Visa, which was technically a joint account, but I never used it.

On April 27, I went in to the Mayport Member Service Center, and showed them the court documents, and closed the account. Transferred the $9Kish balance to my card. Was told that no more charges could be made, and any auto debits, card swipes, phone/internet orders or convienence checks would be rejected.

On May 12th, I got a letter dated May 7th stating that a check had been rejected. I called NFCU to see what the deal was, and if there were any more. I found out they CASHED a check on 10 May, two weeks AFTER the account was closed.

After getting NOWEHERE in 2 hours on the phone, I drove to the Portland, TX MSC and talked to the branch manager. Basically, they are saying that I have to pay the $226 check. Because the date written on it was before the account was closed. It was to USAA, which I was paying (ex's car insurance) until May 1. I know she did not send the check out before, because I had already paid the bill for that month, and she was whining about how SHE would pay it when she was deemed responsible for it on April 26th.

So I call them, inform them this was a fradulent use of the check. Navy Federal did not care.

"Convienence Checks are NOT disputable" is what they told me.

Even if they are:
Stolen
Used Fradulently
Written on a CLOSED account

I have been banking with Navy Federal for over 5 years. They held the mortgage on my house, loans on my Motorcycle, Truck, 3 cars, personal loan to pay the lawyer, and my ONLY credit card. I have NEVER been late with them.

For all the "customer service" and "We understand the servicemembers needs" that NFCU likes to spout, the ONLY time I have ever needed them to do ANYTHING from a customer service standpoint, they have essentially told me to go fook myself.

As a result, Navy Fed has lost a customer. If anyone from NFCU is reading this, why would the "impersonal" corporate banks waive any fraudulent charges without question (I had a similar issue with a stolen CC Check and MBNA 8 years ago when I was in college, and it was a $2000ish) but NFCU has needed me to spend over FOUR HOURS either on the phone, or in person at a branch.

Only to be told, politely, to stick it up my rear.

Guys/Girls, consider yourself warned.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
"Convienence Checks are NOT disputable" is what they told me.

I am just a little confused. What is a convienence check? How is it different that a regular check?

Regardless of what it is, it does sound like you are getting a raw deal.

MasterBates

Convience Checks are those checks they send you with your statements or by themseleves..

They look like a normal check, and write like one, but they go to your credit card account, normally with a $10 or 3% fee (or more).

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
They lost the title to my new car loan and jacked up the rate to something like 14%. They wouldn't give me the interest back even after I sent them a printout saying that Florida had mailed them the title on a specific date, and a duplicate title showing them as the lien holder.

I'll second the crappy customer service.

SETX07

Yeah ill give that a third. They also lost the title on my vehical when I had a loan through them when I was a dependent banking with them. Now that im on my own and about be commissioned im at USAA.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Okay, without this devolving into a divorce thread.........Navy Federal did not care............stick it up my rear.

Guys/Girls, consider yourself warned.

Well, my mother has had to deal with a few banks doing dirty tricks like that with my Great Aunt's accounts (she is in a nursing home now). They get bills and there is no money in the account but they still pay them, then charge interest on the payments. The worst has been Bank of America.

One thing I have heard of that is rarely used but apparently effective is what is called an executive complaint. Apparently many companies have this, which is a formal process and sometimes gets your complaints addressed in a more expeditious and satisfactory manner. Check and see if NFCU has this route.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A64483-2005Jan10.html

And if you get really pissed, I know where their HQ is here in Northern VA........;)

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
... So I call them, inform them this was a fradulent use of the check. Navy Federal did not care. ....

At the risk of repeating myself from another issue, "I guess if you live long enough you see it all ...", or something to that extent, but BTDT.

Had a very similar incident, Riggs National Bank, WashDC. Account was closed, they processed an electronic debit weeks after it was closed.

Tilting at windmills I am very fond of, so I engaged them. Long story short, about $2,500 in lawyer bills, I had to pay the original $196.xx, but not the $1,500 in accrued late fees, cash advances to cover the $196, late fees and etc and etc, over about 2 years.

As best I remember, and this was a "bank", regulated by different laws than "Credit Unions", the upshot was that the bank acted in good faith, even with account closed and any recourse I had should be with the party submitting the "debit". Not rushing to NFCU's defense, at all, but I think NFCU is saying your recourse should be to the obvious fraud on the party of the first part that submitted the fraudulent documents, that appeared to them on their face, as legal ......

Turning around the issue a bit, but for a hypothetical, assume the check was indeed legal, NFCU received it, returned it to your auto insurance company non paid, and your insurance company in turn cancelled your policy, Murphy's law being what it is, you had a terrible accident and then .... well you see the point.

I enjoyed the fight, was worth the $2,500 or so down the toilet. Depends one your objective, I guess.

MasterBates

Since I pay A LOT in alimony, I don't have the $$$ to engage with Lawyers..

Why does this feel like just ANOTHER ass-raping I am taking from the fat bitch?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Since I pay A LOT in alimony, I don't have the $$$ to engage with Lawyers..

Why does this feel like just ANOTHER ass-raping I am taking from the fat bitch?

You must have been Hitler or Stalin in a previous life to enjoy Karma such as this.

Brett

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Ive never liked NFCU. I'm only with them because when I was a dependent it was my first ever bank account. Now I'm just too lazy to close it. I've been with USAA and so far they havent screwed me.......yet. I remember I had to cancel a check from being cashed and there was something like a $75 cancellation fee. WTF?! The check was for $35! I told the rep to send my personal opinions about that fee to his manager. Dont know if he ever got it.

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
I recommend keeping a NFCU account open if you have one, even if just the minimal funds to keep open the checking/savings account.

I use USAA for pretty much everything, but it's nice to have a physical branch available. I figure there's one at every base. I cash checks there from time and they saved me the $200 electrical deposit for the power company in jax (NFCU gives you a waiver to give the company).

That being said, yeah, you (MB) got screwed on this one. Makes me glad they don't get anything from me. Other than the interest off the $5.47 in my account.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I recommend keeping a NFCU account open if you have one, even if just the minimal funds to keep open the checking/savings account.

I use USAA for pretty much everything, but it's nice to have a physical branch available. I figure there's one at every base. I cash checks there from time and they saved me the $200 electrical deposit for the power company in jax (NFCU gives you a waiver to give the company).

That being said, yeah, you (MB) got screwed on this one. Makes me glad they don't get anything from me. Other than the interest off the $5.47 in my account.

Yes and no, I have learned the hard way that credit unions cannot legally do everything a bank can, including cashing money orders. I now have a local bank just to handle stuff like that.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
MB you got hosed.

I've got to chime in though that in the last 24 hours NFCU has done everything they can to help me out. Yesterday I got a call from them to confirm charges to some offshore gaming company... for an ungodly amount of money approaching my credit limit... "Press 2 to dispute this charge".

NFCU canceled my card over the phone, issued me a new one, and erased the bogus charges. I had the same thing happen with PNC Bank on Friday (oh yeah its a great week for me) and they made me jump through hoops to do the same thing.

BTW for those of you out there who haven't done it...
  • run your annual credit report (for free)
  • shred your old records
  • be paranoid about your personal information
I never thought it would happen to me and now I'm wasting all day on the phone/internet securing all my accounts.
Oh and don't get married... that appears to be related to 50% of the banking problems on this website.:eek:

MasterBates

Yeah. Because your ex wife will know ALL your info.. Name, DOB, SSN, Mothers Maiden Name, hometown, you name it..

Oh, and in my dealings with NFCU, the checks are apparently a VERY different animal than cards. You cannot dispute or backcharge them.