• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy embracing PRK at Naval Academy for Mids

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
The New York Times reports that laser eye surgery — now performed on nearly a third of every new class of midshipmen — is transforming Naval careers. Navy doctors are performing these operations with "assembly-line efficiency," allowing older pilots to continue flying, and those who might otherwise have been disqualified to pursue flight school. The number of procedures has reportedly climbed from 50 to 349 over the past five years. The Navy uses a different procedure than that used on civilians — grinding the cornea rather than cutting a flap — out of fears that the flap could come loose in supersonic combat.

http://science.slashdot.org/science/06/06/20/1512242.shtml

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
The NYT article also talks about how USNA has missed their quota for nukes the last 5 years, and how it's getting harder to find NFO-wannabes from USNA, which should provide good fiery fodder for many an AWer.

pennst8

Next guy to ask about thumbdrives gets shot.
Contributor
Its quite popular with NROTC guys as well... and we pay out of pocket for it.

I had it done and so did at least 4 other guys in my class. Out of the 5 of us, 3 got pilot, 1 NFO, and one decided to go subs (he needed PRK just to get a scholarship, his eyesight really sucked).

Best $5,000 I've ever spent.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Does the Navy pay for the prk for the mids? If so, that really chaps my a$$. Academy guys get PRK for free while the nrotc kids have to pay out of pocket? I guess it felt a bit unfair knowing my eyes were the only thing keeping me from pursuing the pilot route but i lacked the funds to get prk while the academy studs got it for free. Sometimes I'll think about it and get a bit down. But I think about how lucky I was to have been selected for NFO. Then I can smile. Tip of the spear :)

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Fezz CB said:
Does the Navy pay for the prk for the mids? If so, that really chaps my a$$. Academy guys get PRK for free while the nrotc kids have to pay out of pocket? I guess it felt a bit unfair knowing my eyes were the only thing keeping me from pursuing the pilot route but i lacked the funds to get prk while the academy studs got it for free. Sometimes I'll think about it and get a bit down. But I think about how lucky I was to have been selected for NFO. Then I can smile. Tip of the spear :)

Not only does the Navy pay for the Mids to have the procedure done, but it's done by Navy MD's, at a Navy facility, etc, the whole smash. So it's true yes... I think the AF and Army are following suit

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Fezz CB said:
Does the Navy pay for the prk for the mids? If so, that really chaps my a$$. Academy guys get PRK for free while the nrotc kids have to pay out of pocket?
Academy MIds are on active duty, NROTC Mids aren't. Active duty gets free medical care.

Circle K

pilot
The Navy doc who did mine was the one in charge of the program. At the time I found more than a few of his published articles about it. Widely considered one of the best in the country.

I've heard their new problem is finding enough time to fix all the mids who want it now.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
"Navy doctors are performing these operations with "assembly-line efficiency,""

One of the scariest lines I've ever heard in my life. Almost as scary as "Hey, watch this..."

Chubby

ChunksJR said:
Fezz...join a fraternity. Get drunk on Tuesday night. Enjoy the ratio. 'nuff said.

squorch2 said:
Take underwater basketweaving... just because you can.

Best ... advice ... ever! Seriously, enjoy college. You can't go back and if you do it's not the same.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Chubby said:
Best ... advice ... ever! Seriously, enjoy college. You can't go back and if you do it's not the same.

The sad, sad part is that you just quoted 2 Georgia Tech studs...you are definitly in trouble if you use them to promote "Enjoying College"

JK...really there were times that I would have rather paid for school than to put up with NROTC...but in the end...it makes us what we, in the Navy, are. Diverse from many different backgrounds...you can do a search on the details of colleges vs. institutions for more details.

~D

Dalamara

Fezz CB said:

Well, think about it this way.

Academy mids have to endure like a four year boot camp while we get to party it up. All the extra hours of free time that we get to hang out with chicks is well worth the extra expenses in my opinion.

nugget81

pilot
ChuckMK23 said:
The Navy uses a different procedure than that used on civilians — grinding the cornea rather than cutting a flap — out of fears that the flap could come loose in supersonic combat.

Uhh...the flap is used for LASIK, not PRK. I'm positive that my doc ground off some of my cornea (as is the norm for PRK) -- it was a very weird feeling. :eek:

Anyhow, I'm not miffed that the mids get it for free. Since the day I had PRK done, I've proclaimed that it was the best investment I've ever made.