• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy & dependants

Status
Not open for further replies.

joeprent

Can someone shed some light on this situation: I have a 7-year-old daughter, but I am not with her mother. I am not paying child support because I am a responsibe man and I take care of my daughter financially on my own. However, I was told that, upon entering the military, I will automatically be obligated to pay child support for my daughter. Is this true? If this is so, am I still paid the same as a single person, or is the pay a little more because of this. I am going to take care of my little ANGEL regardless, but I really would perfer doing it because I want to, not because I am (in a way) forced to. Anybody with any knowledge on this situation will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not even gonna touch that one. Here's my recommendation. Try to find the number of the nearest Navy JAG to you and ask them. You may also be able to find some info on it at www.jag.navy.mil

Mamacat, another member on here, is a prior JAG officer. You may want to even PM her and see if she knows, or at the very least can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The only time the Navy gets involved is if there is some kind of civil judgement against you. There is some language in the MILPERSMAN to the effect that you are required to support your dependants, but evidence to the contrary would have to be borne out of a civil action. Although you hear lots of stories about ex-wives calling the command and such, the only thing the Navy can legally do is counsel the member on his responsibilities and tell the spouse to seek relief through the civil courts. In your case, you would get single BAH AND what's called BAH DIFF. I don't know why the Navy splits it up like that, but the two add up to married BAH. Bottom line: As long as you have an arrangement that everyone is happy with, the Navy doesn't care. My only advice would be to keep good records, because although things with the mother may be amicable right now, you never know when that will change and she can go after you for back support if you don't have all your sh*t in one sock. Hope that helps.

Brett (Post #69)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
As of a few months ago (one of my sailors was in the same situation) Brett is correct.

However, you would not get BAH-DIFF unless you were paying child support....which, by definition, is court ordered.

You would get BAH with dependents since the daughter is yours. Base pay would not change.

Either way, as Brett said, it works out to be the same.

Go here for some more answers.

http://www.military.com/Resources/ResourcesContent/0,13964,42020--0,00.html

cast-n-blast

At my last command, they garnished a sailor's wages for failure to pay his child support. (Although I think that was after he lost in civil court)

Status
Not open for further replies.