• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Aircrew Security Clearance?

Michael Martinez

I truly hope I am not misusing this forum, but if I am I apologize, I am new to this site.

I want to become an AW in the Navy, or an aircrewman. I have read that the rate requires a security clearance, a SECRET security clearance to be specific.

I have also read that only rescue-swimmer qualified AWs will be placed in helo squadrons, which means the dry aircrew guys are usually working with P-8/P-3 aircraft. I didn't know much about these aircraft so I researched their mission, and I noticed they conduct surveillance operations and search and rescue stuff.

Bottom line is, would an AWF possibly need a Top Secret Clearance? What are the odds? Just curious as I want to transition to a SWO officer and I think having the clearance would help me.

I just want to work with pilots, wear Ray-Bans, and have a flight suit bro.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not necessarily a TS clearance, but you will need a clearance if you're going to be an FE, or any flavor of AW for that matter. As an FE you'd be going on missions that you'll see shit that is classified, ergo the need for a clearance. Depending on what squadron you go to and what flavor of aircraft they fly, you might have to get a TS to fly with certain crews to do certain missions.

As far as your commissioning goals, getting a specific clearance as a Sailor means jack and shit to your commissioning potential. If you can't get a clearance, then you won't commission, but just being eligible for a clearance doesn't mean you're a good candidate to be an officer.

Michael Martinez

Not necessarily a TS clearance, but you will need a clearance if you're going to be an FE, or any flavor of AW for that matter. As an FE you'd be going on missions that you'll see shit that is classified, ergo the need for a clearance. Depending on what squadron you go to and what flavor of aircraft they fly, you might have to get a TS to fly with certain crews to do certain missions.

As far as your commissioning goals, getting a specific clearance as a Sailor means jack and shit to your commissioning potential. If you can't get a clearance, then you won't commission, but just being eligible for a clearance doesn't mean you're a good candidate to be an officer.
Thanks. Are these assignments that require a TS common? What are the chances of working with helos if I am not a qualifies rescue swimmer?

azguy

None
1) If you want to be a SWO, don't enlist. Seek a commissioning program. And frankly, you'd be setting yourself up much better in any surface rate. I've just served with one prior P-3 AW and he had an extremely difficult time transitioning to SWO.

2) If the enlistment is a done deal- FYI, having a certain clearance will do absolutely, positively nothing to help you get commissioned.