• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Active Duty to Reserves

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Now go find one or two rental properties (sooner rather than later) and pay off all of your various mortgages by retirement age, and you can easily clear $100k a year in retirement not doing a damn thing.

I have the same plan, maximizing a Navy Reserve retirement and having some rental houses. However, make sure you have a cash reserve for repairs as well as unexpected jumps in taxes / insurance. In addition, the eviction moratorium could really hurt some small landlords - the government mandating that tenants can stay in the rental houses without paying rent while not providing a seamless method of covering the landlord’s bills seems to be a poor case of execution by the Biden administration.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have the same plan, maximizing a Navy Reserve retirement and having some rental houses. However, make sure you have a cash reserve for repairs as well as unexpected jumps in taxes / insurance. In addition, the eviction moratorium could really hurt some small landlords - the government mandating that tenants can stay in the rental houses without paying rent while not providing a seamless method of covering the landlord’s bills seems to be a poor case of execution by the Biden administration.
My plan is Airbnb/Vrbo only. Year long rentals are a losing game - they will always complain. Short term renters might leave a poor review but most of them are on vacay and don’t care if the light switch is loose or the gutter is dented. No eviction problems either.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
My plan is Airbnb/Vrbo only. Year long rentals are a losing game - they will always complain. Short term renters might leave a poor review but most of them are on vacay and don’t care if the light switch is loose or the gutter is dented. No eviction problems either.

I have had the opposite experience: one of my houses had the same tenant for 7 years, another house has the tenants getting ready to sign for an 8th year. As these are suburban houses, I prefer the steady, predictable income over the more lucrative short term rentals.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
I have had the opposite experience: one of my houses had the same tenant for 7 years, another house has the tenants getting ready to sign for an 8th year. As these are suburban houses, I prefer the steady, predictable income over the more lucrative short term rentals.
Hey, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. You do you.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Yup, I'm only a few years into my rental, but the first tenants stayed 2 years and I managed it myself. Maybe 3 calls in 2 years? The new tenant I decided to get a property manager (due to possible deployment) and yes I lose a bit per month, but it's a write-off. Don't be a slum lord and maintain the property and due your diligence when screening potential tenants and you should be good. My property manager has a less than 1% eviction rate, they say that is because they are very thorough in their screening process.

nodropinufaka

Yup, I'm only a few years into my rental, but the first tenants stayed 2 years and I managed it myself. Maybe 3 calls in 2 years? The new tenant I decided to get a property manager (due to possible deployment) and yes I lose a bit per month, but it's a write-off. Don't be a slum lord and maintain the property and due your diligence when screening potential tenants and you should be good. My property manager has a less than 1% eviction rate, they say that is because they are very thorough in their screening process.
I have two rental properties. In Hawaii.

Cannot do VRBO or AIRBNB here.

But my rental properties already cash flow about 1000 per month. By the time they are paid off since it is in a HCOL area the cash flow will be significant.

I tried managing myself. Too much a pain especially with work.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

nodropinufaka

When you become retirement eligible, or more accurately when the Navy figures it out. I think it took them over a year after I was retirement eligible to send me my letter.
When can you actually drop your retirement paperwork?

Looking at the instruction you can drop it at 1 year out? So at 19 years?